is this ok to use for bedding? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as mya_papaya

is this ok to use for bedding?

we were low on bedding so my mom went and bought some and instead of aspen she got timothy hay........... and alot of it..... is this ok to use as bedding? like i dont mean just for a nest or w/e i mean for the whole cage..... they seen to really love it... but im not too sure...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 11:40 PM
I Own an Egg Pooper

You know, I actually don't know the answer to that question, as timothy hay is used normally for chinchillas and rabbits. However, when used for chinchillas and rabbits, it is not as bedding, it is a source of nutrients and so it is provided daily just like normal food (to go along with the pellets, etc.) Therefore, my only concern would be that your mice would eat it, and I am not sure if that would be good for their digestive systems, or if it would give them a nutrient overload.

Advice, chin owners? Anyone?

-Tare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
RIP Kiska... the greatest...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 03:10 AM
Adolescent Pup

I"m sure it's ok as bedding, just not very good at absorption, lol.

I know plenty of people who use guinea pig pellets as bedding for their mice/rats.

2 rats, 2 mini rex bunnies, 2 cats, 1 prairie dog, 4 species breeding millipedes, 23 various different species tarantulas, 2 Heteropoda davidbowie huntsman spiders, 3 Liocheles australasiae scorps, 20+ Hogna helluo wolf spiderlings, etc.

spiders are addictive... and super easy to care for!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 06:28 AM

It could be used as bedding, but I think it would smell quicker and not absorb as good. I wouldnt use it in my animals cages but that is my opinion
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 10:56 AM
Adolescent Pup

I read in a book about first mice that hay is the very best bedding you could use, because aside from being very warm and easy to make into a nest, its great for their teeth I'm not sure if Timothy Hay is different because it's not as common here in the UK but i reckon the same would probably apply. If they seem to like it it's probably ok... but don't take my word for it! Also in this case, it is probably talking about JUST the sleeping area, rather than the whole cage but as long as it's kept clean i think it should be fine!

I believe in a thing called love ~ just listen to the rhythm of my heart

Dusty

Chloe

Mildred + her 3 friends

Jellybean + Caesar
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Hay is fine to use in a mouses cage as they would eat it and live in it in the wild as use it for bedding, its just not very good at absorbing stuff so would smell quicker than shavings etc They are better on shavings though in the long run but on a temporary basis it would be ok to use

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 11:04 AM
Suffers from Title Envy

i would say that it is too dusty.... i got some at walmart (a cheap brand) and it was reaaaaally dusty, so i never used it.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 11:33 AM
Stinky Liverbrain

Like everybody said, ok as bedding, but not as absorbing. Also, like corncob, tends to mold if it gets too much humidty. Here, aspen is hard to find and what you usually get is pine and cedar, so if I don't find aspen, I buy hay (any kind, as long as it's mold, pests and insecticide free) and some cheap toilet paper (I get a pack of 4 rolls for $1 at the dollar store). I shred the TP and mix it with the hay (about half and half), and use it as bedding. They usually pick out some TP pieces and build a nest with it, but the TP makes it more absorbent, and the hay more odor free (even though they still get smelly, not as smelly like with only TP).

Dimaris

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 12:10 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I've heard that if hay gets wet, it can actually catch on fire! Something to do with a chemical reaction that causes it to self-combust. Crazy, huh? I think it would be ok for you to give your mice a little timothy hay, but not to use as the only bedding. Like others said, it doesn't absorb liquid well and can get moldy if wet. I use hay on top of feline pine in my rabbits litter boxes, but they get their box changed daily so they never have wet or moldy hay.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 07:11 AM
Adolescent Pup

Hay definately does not spontaniously combust when wet!! Whoever wrote that was a bit daft I'd say! Anyway I agree it is fine to use for bedding, I would throw in some paper towels too.

And Veggie feline pine is NOT good for rabbits. They are very similar to rats, in that they are very susceptible to URI's I would switch to Yesterday's news if I were you!

Last edited by SugarLoveRats; 01-26-2005 at 07:13 AM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 03:31 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarLoveRats
Hay definately does not spontaniously combust when wet!! Whoever wrote that was a bit daft I'd say! Anyway I agree it is fine to use for bedding, I would throw in some paper towels too.

And Veggie feline pine is NOT good for rabbits. They are very similar to rats, in that they are very susceptible to URI's I would switch to Yesterday's news if I were you!
I learned about the combustion of hay on a Discovery Channel show. They were mainly talking about it happening in barns where livestock are kept. There were scientists there doing a study and I did see it self-combust. It was crazy. I wouldn't make that up.

Feline Pine is approved by the House Rabbit Society www.rabbit.org and the Bunny Bunch (rabbit rescue) and many other rabbit groups. The oils in wood that cause health problems have been removed, so it is said to be safe and a great litter to use in rabbit litter boxes.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 04:00 PM
Adolescent Pup

Your Kidding me!! That's nuts LOL. I have never seen or heard of that, I imagine it must be quite rare then?? Weird. Anywho as far as the pine, I said that cuz I've heard people discuss the feline pine before and say it was bad, but I'm not saying they were right. As far as bunnies, I'm sure you know more than I do.
I really can't get over the hay thing LOL!! :blob7:
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 04:07 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl
I learned about the combustion of hay on a Discovery Channel show. They were mainly talking about it happening in barns where livestock are kept. There were scientists there doing a study and I did see it self-combust. It was crazy. I wouldn't make that up.
Its probably right hay can self combust in barns as lets face it its very dry and in a dry barn it would be easy to catch fire plus theres lots of factors that can cause it too like sunlight, friction, gases from faeces and urine etc so thats most probably accurate but in a cage its fine well unless you handy with matches or a lighter Lets face it though if humans can spontaneously combust anything can

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 04:23 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
Its probably right hay can self combust in barns as lets face it its very dry and in a dry barn it would be easy to catch fire plus theres lots of factors that can cause it too like sunlight, friction, gases from faeces and urine etc so thats most probably accurate but in a cage its fine well unless you handy with matches or a lighter Lets face it though if humans can spontaneously combust anything can
Yeah, it has something to do with the chemical reaction that occurs when hay gets wet and moldy. I saw it on a show where they were trying to solve what started the Chicago fires. It was supposedly started by a cow kicking over a lantern, but they were exploring other possibilities. It was really crazy.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as mya_papaya

im even more confused now.......... lol
so its ok to use if i mix it w strips of tp?????????????

i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!

Tags
feline pine, guinea pig, guinea pig pellets, house rabbit, house rabbit society, litter box, litter boxes, rabbit society, timothy hay