OMG Yesterday is a day i will not forget!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Angry OMG Yesterday is a day i will not forget!!!

Ok well yesterday me and my bf was going up to Pets at home for some toys and food for the hammie and rats.
So we go up to the adoption part and there is this male siamese rat he was lovley and we asked if we could see him out and when she lifted him out he made this really weird noise all the time it was like a noise coming from his lungs and i asked what that was and the girl replyed o hes just a weird rat .. and i was like ok so we looked at him and i go wut happed to half of his tail ? and she went his old owners other rat bit half of it off so that was enough for me i said to her are you sure you have made sure he doesnt have a chest or any other infection and she went im sure i brought him home and he started getting worse and worse and the next thing i put my hand near him and he was reacting to it i touched his eyes and guess what HE WAS BLINDDD !!! he couldnt even find his way around i couldnt keep him as i have other rats and i didnt want him passing anything on do i went back up to the petstore and said to the guy i cannot keep him and i said but i am not leaving him with you knowing you aint gunna do nothing and he said ok i am very sorry we didn't realise how bad he was and he said he is going to take him to the vets on monday.
i asked him did you know he was blind ?
and he replyies .. Oh maybe thats why he couldnt see us feeding him like OOH MY GOD i was crying and everything letting him go his breathing is so bad and he has been in the petstore for about 2 weeks now and they never even thought that the breathing was bad ??
i feel so cruel giving him back i spent £35 on TAXIES!! taking him back and also did you's think i made the right desicion i have no experiance with rats and i paniced i didnt want my rats catching anything i really can't stop thinking about him

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

eeek... arey you ok? at the end of the day there was nothing you could have done so cheer up hun

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Will It Ever Change?

aww hun. im sorry you went thru that. if it was me i'd keep him and take him to the vet myself. i dont trust pet stores. you can always quarantine him in another room away from your other pets? either way, its a shame the poor little guy was so unhealthy

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

i am very sorry guys for using the word G*D i just got warned
i never new i am very sorry it is because i am from northern ireland and we talk very different from you's i am still very sorry

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

oh, you got warned? I didn't know you couldent say that! Does it tell us anywhere what we can and cant say, I'd like to see so I know eeek!
I do hope you are okay though, it's never nice to see animals suffering- I think the best thing to would and kindest would be to get him put to sleep the poor lil'soul! xx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

No it doesnt say anywhere a mod told me people are complaining about my language i appoligised but i feel so bad now.

yeah well the guy at the petstore wen i took him back says he doesnt look good i feel bad for taking him back all i have done is cry he was a baby aswell so scared squeeked when you touched or lifted him all i done was cuddle and talked to him poor baby

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Adolescent Pup

awww..sorry you had to go through that...poor little guy..pet stores can be so irresponsible.

Ratties Rock My World!
My Zoo
Spring,Lynard,Georgia,Teddy,7 of Minnie's children, 2 dwarf rats and our rabbit Charlie
*Proud Rat Owner Since 2005*
RIP Ratties
Raven,Gracie,Chloe,Roxanne,Brandy,August, Nicki, Lulu,Lainey,Minnie,Edward,Jasper
RIP Lance We Still Miss You

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 11:55 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Hey, try not to feel bad. You know that we here would love to save them all if we could, but we just can't. Hopefully you made a difference by taking a stand and calling them out on the situation.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 04:47 AM
Will It Ever Change?

i agree with mt, i too would totally feel bad but you can't save them all. just file a complaint cause it's the best you can do

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Yeah i said to the girl how could you say hes just a weird rat and making that noise you could clearly see he was suffering the worse thing was that the petshop is like 15miles from me and the taxies cost me ALOT and i got really attached to him within that hr he was so cute and so skinny ! and i knew he was blind how can petshops not realise stuff like this ?

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Will It Ever Change?

unfortunatley many pet shops dont hire experienced people

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

he isn't skinny because he's blind, normally rats that are blind get around ok as long as their place isn't moved around much, they find food by smell instead of sight anyway, it probably has an RI that could possibly be fixed with antibiotics but buying a rat from a store that sells them sick and having to take it to the vet and fix it just helps the store stay the way it is...

Sorry you had to go through that

[/CENTER]

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks kendalle ,
Yeah i know he wasnt skinny cus he was blind i had a blind guinea pig.
He was wheezing like for air but he was moving around but he was panting aswell and when you lifted him he SQUEEEEKED it was awfull my boyfriend didn't want to give him back but i couldnt put my rats at risk and i never new how to handle it .
I just feel like i let him down
Thanks guys for your support

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 08:22 PM

Aw seems like a stressful situation and im sorry you had to deal with that.

Pet stores honestly done care about their animals as much as they let on.
They always say to the people getting small critters that if anything happens to bring them back and they will take it to their 'back room' to get vet care.
Truth is, they bring them back there and let them die with no vet care at all.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

OMG i really do hope they took him to a vet because he was at the adoption bit like with his own cage and own toys thats why i wanted him i still think about what if .. but i know i maybe freaked out and didnt deal with it in the best way but i really didnt want my rats to get an infection if he did have one .

Tags
guinea pig, pet shop, pet shops, pet store, pet stores, vet care