Is ONE rat okay? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover<3

Is ONE rat okay?

My mom has been promising a new pet to the home, and after deciding from a pigger, a ferret, a bunny, more gerbils, or a rat, we chose a rat. We chose a rat because we've never had one before. Anyway, is ONE okay? I mean, I know they need interactions and stuff, but will one be fine? We'll play with him everyday and stuff, but I don't wanna get him if he wont be happy.

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 07:43 PM

Rats can live alone, but they are much more happy with a cagemate. I don't ever keep any rats of mine alone unless they are giving birth or are sick. I wouldn't recommend having just one rat, because they are very social animals and can get depressed if alone.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonMarie View Post
Rats can live alone, but they are much more happy with a cagemate. I don't ever keep any rats of mine alone unless they are giving birth or are sick. I wouldn't recommend having just one rat, because they are very social animals and can get depressed if alone.
Thanks, I just remembered my dad is mailing me 20 bucks, so if my mom has a problem with buying it, i'll buy the little guy. I'm asking my friend for advice and she told me the same thing, I know my mom won't have a problem with the happiness, thanks! Also, any cage reccomendations?

my name is Jonni,
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

See, I bought only one rat because my boyfriend didn't even want one and now I really regret not having gotten 2 sisters. I take my rat out at LEAST 3h a day, I keep her on my shoulder or with me on my desk as much as possible, if I have an errand to run I take her with me, and I still see that the minute she's in her cage she wishes she wasn't alone.
Now I have to convince my boyfriend about getting another one! (hopefully my rattie's mommy ) and it would have been so much easier to just get 2 and he'd have delt with it by now.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

IMO it's not ok to have only one. I feel that every effort should be made to make sure rats get to live with a friend. They are social animals and humans can't be with them 24 hours a day like their rat buddies can.

That said, it's no more trouble to have two as opposed to only one. They don't need more maintenance as a pair, and are so much more interesting to watch when they interact with one another.

For cages I would recommend a Martin's Cage:
http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/

They are good quality and much cheaper than cages of a comparable size from a pet store. The Rat Highrise (H600-HR) or larger would fine for 2 rats. You have to put it together when it comes in the mail, but it's not too hard to figure out.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Also, instead of buying you might consider adopting a pair of rats in need of a home. There are quite a few postings for various town in Michigan on Petfinder.com.
http://www.petfinder.com/search/sear...x=&location=MI

Maureen

Six new rats
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

No, owning one rat is not fine, even in the wild they live in huge numbers. I had two rats and when my current male's brother passed he got very depressed and i thought about intro'ing him to other rats and he just would not accept them, and i had to keep him alone, and even then i hated doing it. I have my boy out with me like 9hrs a day, or else he would be very depressed and always wanting my attention. PLEASE do not buy one rat its not natural nor nice for them to live alone.

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Okay, okay, okay! I don't even think i'm getting a rat anyway. For 1, my grand dad doesn't even like my gerbils, for 2, I already gotta get my gerbils another cage, and the rabbit is expensive as it is. Thanks for the advice, though.

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

I have to disagree with the H-600HR being a rat cage, its a combo hamster/rat cage and really too narrow.

If you must get a smaller cage I would advise the R-670 (powdercoated of course). Its "okay" for 2 but doesn't give you a lot of room for toys/hammocks etc.

The R-690 is a great cage but its definitely more expensive and there is NO room for a wheel at all.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 12:35 PM

I would agree, :C.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Since I can't afford a rat, apparently, i'm not going to get him. My sister want's a ferret and my grand dad thinks they're nasty. So, instead of giving him a bad life, let someone else give him an awesome life, right? Thanks for the advice though, everyone.

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspaz68 View Post
I have to disagree with the H-600HR being a rat cage, its a combo hamster/rat cage and really too narrow.

If you must get a smaller cage I would advise the R-670 (powdercoated of course). Its "okay" for 2 but doesn't give you a lot of room for toys/hammocks etc.

The R-690 is a great cage but its definitely more expensive and there is NO room for a wheel at all.
Oh my, lilspaz you are so right. I must have had a momentary lapse of sanity when I was looking at the site. I have the R-695 and I meant to recommend the R-690 as the small end of the acceptable for rats range. Good catch.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmaughan View Post
Oh my, lilspaz you are so right. I must have had a momentary lapse of sanity when I was looking at the site. I have the R-695 and I meant to recommend the R-690 as the small end of the acceptable for rats range. Good catch.
No worries, I am having lots of sanity lapses lately...had a teeny rescue girl (really just a baby) give birth last night, and its been a very anxious time up to then. All is well, except I seem unable to sex them properly

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack