One year - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

One year

It's been a long time since I've started a thread here, since I no longer have rats of my own to talk about. But, Friday was the one-year anniversary of my goofy Stanley's passing, and we spent the day thinking about him and missing him, as we always do. I can't believe it's been a whole year now that my husband and I have been without rats. We do very much want to add rats back into our lives at some point, but the amount of care they require--and the difficulty of finding care when we can't be here--are two reasons why we're not going to be able to do so for a while. We travel quite a bit, and as we found with Russ and Stan, there just aren't many people willing--or able--to look after rats for you while you're away. So, for the meantime, I keep dropping in here to check up on everyone and to say hi, and to give my love to your furry babies.

And in memory of my goofy boy Stanley, two of my favorite photos of him:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Adolescent Pup

You sound like truly loving pet parents. Very touched by your post and the sweet pics of Stanley.

Understand the problem of finding someone taking care of pets when you're away. Luckily I have my mom to take care of my degus when we go away (not very often) and I watch a friend's gerbils when she goes away.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 12:24 PM
Newborn Pup

Aww, so cute. My rat is SO small compared to Stanley. She's barely over 200 grams!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

YIKES! You posted this on March 19th and I just now saw it today, TEN days after posting! I am so sorry I missed this!!

Oh Breyer, I wish you had seen my face this morning when I saw those two pictures of Stanley....just, instant love melt here. You did him proud by picking what have to be the two most precious and beautiful photos of Stanley you ever took.

Those pictures are now famous. I am just in love all over again. That beautiful, sweet face, with a contented and happy smile, poking out from the comfort of the Sock Mountain is just PRICELESS. I could stare at Stanley's little nose, sparkling eyes and happy smile all day.

And Stan with his ratty friend on top of his head...oh just THUD-a-licious. Excellent tribute to the one year anniversary of his passing, and it also reminds me that he is with RUSSIE! They are having such a great time together, right now, as we speak, and I know you agree.

Breyer, I totally think that your decision to not have rats for awhile is such a thoughtful thing to do because I know you are thinking of the welfare and happiness of any future babies you might have and being so smart about not wanting to have new babies when you and Tony are traveling so much, etc.

To me, that is a person who truly is thinking of the welfare and lifestyle of any future ratties you might have and wanting to be there for them 24/7, so to me, that is a compassionate choice made with the ratties in mind and their happiness, so good for you.

I tell you what...if you and Tony ever relocate to the Seattle area, I promise to be your ratty babysitter whenever you need it and I will spoil your babies rotten while you are away. Deal?

I know how you feel about leaving your furry kids behind. I HATE when something comes up (rarely) where Marc and I will be away and I worry and fret, even when I know my mom, who lives 5 minutes away, is coming over the check them every day. I still hate not being there for them every single minute.

Luckily right now, we are done with travel situations for awhile, so I get to be home with my kiddos all the time. But, I know what you mean about the worry and stress when you are away traveling and not there for your babies.

It was soooo wonderful for you to post those photos and to say a hello to everyone and, my boys say hello right back to Auntie Breyer. You know, Marc and I mention Stanley, Russell, Klausse and Wolfgang to our boys all the time, really. We still think about that special time in history when Storyseeker had her original Alabama Ghost Boys rat posse, and you had Russ and Stan and we had our Klausse and Wolfie.

That was so special, and we were all in it together and we fell in love with each other's babies and shared our stories, and photos and videos. What a great moment in time, eh? Marc and I will never forget it and we will never ever forget our "nephews" Stan and Russie, who shared the same birthday with our boys. How much more karmic does that get?

I send my kisses and love to Stan and Russell and I know they are smiling down on all of us, in between running around and getting up to dickens with ALL of their cousins! That always makes me feel good.

Check in with us from time to time on the forum Breyer, even though you are in between ratties, you have become such a great poster for newbies and people with questions on this forum, really. I usually end up saying, "Um...yeah, what Breyer said!" on my posts! In fact I just did that this morning.

We love you Stanley and Russell! Smooches and cuddles to you!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.

Last edited by Vladina; 03-29-2013 at 12:17 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Official Loofah Tester

This is so beautiful! I know you miss the boys to pieces. I do too. They really were special weren't they?

And I'm with Vlad. If you guys ever end up down south Alabama way, we'll be happy to watch the kids. Vlad always says everything so much better than I do, and in a much more timely way. So I'll just say I loved your boys and I really have appreciated having you as an internet friend no matter how busy our lives get.

You are a special and loving person.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.