OOO so worried....I dont know what to do! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

OOO so worried....I dont know what to do!

One or my ratties keeps pulls my other ratties hair out. They were squeaking like mad last night and then this morning one of them had 2 giant bald spots and had scabs and scraps like the hair was pulled out. Then earlier they were squeaking again so I went over to the cage and one had the other pinned down and was pulling the other hair out! So I took her out of the cage and put her in the old cage (we just got a newer bigger one) and left her there for a couple or hours then put her back in the big cage.

Was this the right thing to do?
What can I do?
Is there anyway to stop this other then separating them?

Now their all acting funny.
I took them out to play and the one just chases the other around trying to pull out her hair and my third one wont come off my shoulder and she shaking.. but they still sleep, eat and play together...I don't know what to do...Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

did you get all these rats at the same time?
has this started when u changed the cage?
it sounds like your ratty wants to be the dominant one and is showing the others she's the boss!
how old are they?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

No they have been rough since we got them. 2 we got on the same day and the other we got 2 days later. They have been rough since the binging and I thought that the bigger cage would help. The other one was to small. But they are still "fighting" and but there has never been scratches or scabs or anything like that. There have been patches missing before but I thought that she had done it to herself. They are around...4 months old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Did you properly introduce all your rats?
Rats can be territorial, and they need time to get acquainted to new buddies.
Already 2 rats that have been living together since birth are bound to fight a little to establish who's boss. When you introduce other rats they have never seen before, even if it's only 2 days later, you need to have the rats seperated and let them meet in neutral territory that smells neither like the old or the new rats, so they meet on equal grounds, and keep them in seperate cages until they get along on neutral territory without fighting, then clean the cage you want them all to live together thoroughly so it doesn't smell too much, and make sure they get along in the cage.
As long as there's no blood, it's not bad. They will "fight" until the places in their little herd is set and the boss has what she wants and can be dominant.
If you see there's blood, or you think the ones without hair are too scared, seperate them like you did, and introduce them as though they don't know each other on neutral grounds. Give them all treats at the same time to keep them busy and such. Just having the cages close together without touching so they can't bite through the bars will help them get used to each other's scents.

hope this helps a little, i'm sure others will be able to advise you even better
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustette View Post
Did you properly introduce all your rats?
Rats can be territorial, and they need time to get acquainted to new buddies.
Already 2 rats that have been living together since birth are bound to fight a little to establish who's boss. When you introduce other rats they have never seen before, even if it's only 2 days later, you need to have the rats seperated and let them meet in neutral territory that smells neither like the old or the new rats, so they meet on equal grounds, and keep them in seperate cages until they get along on neutral territory without fighting, then clean the cage you want them all to live together thoroughly so it doesn't smell too much, and make sure they get along in the cage.
As long as there's no blood, it's not bad. They will "fight" until the places in their little herd is set and the boss has what she wants and can be dominant.
If you see there's blood, or you think the ones without hair are too scared, seperate them like you did, and introduce them as though they don't know each other on neutral grounds. Give them all treats at the same time to keep them busy and such. Just having the cages close together without touching so they can't bite through the bars will help them get used to each other's scents.

hope this helps a little, i'm sure others will be able to advise you even better

even though they have been living together for abut 3 months now?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 12:23 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

its probably over grooming, do they sleep together?

My rat (naked) used to pull out the hair of my other (standard) rat so she had no hair around her ears and would squeek. I just figured my naked rat didn't understand how to groom well.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 07:12 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post

My rat (naked) used to pull out the hair of my other (standard) rat so she had no hair around her ears and would squeek. I just figured my naked rat didn't understand how to groom well.
Sounds more like barbering which can become an OCD thing...they actually chew off the hair...of themselves or others LOL

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post

They eat, sleep, play together. They get along fine. Its just the grooming thing.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspaz68 View Post
Sounds more like barbering which can become an OCD thing...they actually chew off the hair...of themselves or others LOL
is there a way to stop it?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 06:17 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

If they are bored, living alone, in a cage with no mental stimulation you can add friends and more exciting things in their cage, more Out time, etc. But if they have all that its just a habit, like nail-chewing *looks at own nails* that they just do...

I have a few barberers here myself. No one gets hurt , its just unsightly.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspaz68 View Post
If they are bored, living alone, in a cage with no mental stimulation you can add friends and more exciting things in their cage, more Out time, etc. But if they have all that its just a habit, like nail-chewing *looks at own nails* that they just do...

I have a few barberers here myself. No one gets hurt , its just unsightly.

So the death sounding squeaks are normal?(well I guess they could be worse...Lol....It just sounds bad cuz we love them.)
Also there are scabs..

Tags
fighting, hair pull out