The oops mice prego - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

The oops mice prego

Hello all, I have a few questions for anyone whose use to mice. As I am kind of new to this whole pregnancy thing (this was not my intention) I saved 4 mice from someone who was going to let them die , or feed them to a snake. I didnt want this to happen so i took them in. They where from a friend of a friends who breeds them which to me is but anyways there mommy died so i bottle fed them and everything they where suppose to be all females. so i thought this week i discovered that two looks weird and realized they had round tummys, and that 2 are actaully males. I was not impressed. but figure they are better off safe herre with me then snake food or worst. I have seprated the males from them but i have a few questions about this. I have been doing internet research since i found out.

1 should i separate the moms ? or are they safe together

2 can the boys be together iv heard that they will fight but theyve been togethier since birth and i havent had problems yet.

3 i no rats need extra proteins when prego like eggs ect are mice the same is it safe to give them some eggs or extra veggies ?

any other info u might have would be great thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 03:25 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Male mice will kill each other. They'll even kill their brother - it's just a matter of time.

Lentils are a good, hi-protein source. Lentils are also real good for them just like they are for us.

As far as I know female mice are community mothers, so I don't see the need to seperate them.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

any reason as to why the males would fight now but have never before ? some places on the internet say they wont fight cuz they have been togethier since birth and others say they will so confusing . either way there in there own cages .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 04:21 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

As a mouse breeder and pet owner mice females will help one another I have only had one female nanny mouse (not prego but kept in to help raise) try to take the litter and raise for her self but this is rare. Mom mice are great moms. You can give them eggs. veggies, and chicken is good cooked but not fried and not herbs or spices. I give mine a little peace or 2 of puppy chow or an old roy tiny bisket they are very small. I give them to my rats as treats and they love them so do my mice.
You should even after the babies are weened 4 weeks old still for a little bit give her the extra becusae she'll still need built up. I know you didnt plane but when you plan you are supose to prepare them before, during the prego stage and after even when spereatign the babies to help keep her built up THey have lots of kids that take a lot out of them.
Males will fight and even kill one another. I have had some that were brother attully one pare that fought and had to spreate. I have good luck keeping brothers and fathers and cousint males together but limmit the number to space. THe mousery stays houseing males in a smaller place is better becuase it forces them to share taritory and I tryed that bigger fights but it may work for some. I would have an extra place set aside incase they after bit dont get along. Also I found if I give my males more stuff to hide in clim on and hide treats to stimulate there mind or at lest to me or for me this works. But watch the males closer so that is they do start you can sperate them. Also in my exsperience keeping the males in a spearet room from the females helps becuase in the same room they can smell a female in heat better and this can cause hormons to go hay wire I say becuase that smell to them is like cat nip for a cat. And wash your hands before you play with the males if you have touched the females becuase this could cause them to fight or it has in my exsprence. Some males are more submissive with one another and 2 to 5 males can live to gether peacefully but some males are to dominet twards other males. I have heard getting the males nuttered to all live together can help or so they can live with the females and no babies. But I would not place all nutterd males in with all the girls but you could get the males fixed and place one male in with a few females.
BUt grils are more mellow with one another then males so just watch them if they live together till they pass with out a fight ever then your lucky I have 5 males that live to gether but he was the older male and the rest were babies that were ready to spreate from mom. In my exsperence the males seem to not mind the babies becuase they are naturel submisive to a bigger mouse but when they get older they can relize hey I am just as big. SO watch the males closer and if they fight spreate them. The moms should be fine and help one another raise the babies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

thanks for the info i have one male thats a lot bigger then the other and they were sleeping togethier up intil a day ago , so ill try them togethier and just watch them i mean i have still be giving them play time togethier and i havent had any issues, so ill just keep my eye on them i think my female nibbler (the one in my profile pic) is due any time now cuz she wants to do is hide and wont let me near her. which is not like her at all usually she is the most out going of the bunch. could this be a sign that shes due anytime now ?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 05:04 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

more then licky they get into nest building more and they are mody becuase every mother has her hormons to contend with. Ushally they will keep more to them selves, hide and nest and lay around seem to try to get comfey. Eating and drinking seem to be shorter as they get a drink and grab a bite of food then back to the nest or back to laying around and getting comfy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

thats exactly what her and speedy are doing
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 05:08 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

If you watch there belly you will see slit movment of the babies. When it gets more intens and there bellys look like some thing is almost gonna pop out of them like in the allin movies then she is in labor or starting or not long then will she deliver.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

will do
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

does anyone know how to post a picture on here i can show you guys a pic of one of my female mices bellys
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Males can sometimes be kept together, I used to have a tank of brothers and they NEVER fought. Sometimes they do, but if yours aren't fighting yet then I think they should stay together and just monitor them to make sure they aren't fighting.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
does anyone know how to post a picture on here i can show you guys a pic of one of my female mices bellys
you can use manage attachment under advanced or post website pics that you have or use imageshack or photobucket but I think that you still have to have 20 post before pictures. you may beable to put down a link to a picture that you may have on photo bucket or something like that.

Have they been doing good? any babys yet or still restless in a way. Some times a week before hand or no more then 2 or 3 days they would seem ready and restless. its when you give up and say have them when every and dont pay attechen then they have them. Most of mine have delivered early morning or late at night when all is aleep and still and quite. They can also is felt scared or starteled delay the birht till all is calmb.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

There still pretty restless i had to seprate the boys as zoomer is my little trouble maker but the girls just tend to eat and sleep they dont want to do much else i think i figured out how to add pics hopefully it works there of nibblers belly in the last couple of days

Last edited by Nibbler; 01-16-2011 at 01:26 AM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

She's looking pretty far along!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 10:20 AM
RAT ADDICT

She is cute and yes,she should have the babies any day now.

Make sure the females are getting extra protein in their diet,otherwise they may eat the babies to get the extra nutrients their body needs at this time.

The females can stay together and usually will help eachother.Take the wheel out of the cage though,as I often found nursing females would spend more time on their wheels then in their nests.Taking the wheel out for abit is good,as it won't distract them.

If the males are not fighting,then leave them be.But the first sign of fighting,they should be seperated...because unlike females,males are not social and will fight to the death.I have had males live together,but it is rare.I had two brothers that were so close,when one died...the other pined away.But this is not common with male mice.

Don't disturb the nest too much.If your females trust you,you can probably check to make sure the babies are feeding (milk bands) by day 2.I always check on the nests by day 2 and start handling on day 2 or 3...but this is only if the mother mouse is used to me and trusts me,as some mice won't allow it.

And at 4-5 weeks...males and females MUST be seperated.

Good luck!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
prego mice