Orphaned Baby mouse needs friend - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Orphaned Baby mouse needs friend

the story began last thurs with what i thought was a dead baby mouse, my dog snatched him from under my BBQ. I slid a paper towel under his poor little body thinking he might just be in shock and placed him farther back under. was hoping the mom would come get him. his eyes had not yet opened and he was very thin. then for hours he did not move and i was just thinking it was time to get rid of him, when i noticed he had moved. i called my teen daughter out and we decided to bring him in and see if we could help. He should have died from shock or dehydration at that young age. i did some checking on google and we went to get some kitten replacement milk and a container to put him in. For the first few days we had a very hard time getting him to even take a few sips off the end of a paint brush.had to force feed. then a couple days later his eyes opened. his ears are coming out more and now he eats from the eye dropper. and a little round mouse he is becoming in less than a week.and tonight for the first time he had something solid. He ate a huge chunk of arrowroot cookie. and he was playing with me. and jumping all over my hands and lap.This little guy is a fighter. IF he survived my dog he deserved the chance to be helped to live.Now i know they are social creatures and dont do well by them selves, so my question is can i get another mouse from the pet store to keep him company? do wild and domestic get along? and will 2 males get along?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 12:59 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Hello there, bless you for saving him , although i don't know much about wild mice i do know a little about pet shop mice females do well usually in a group however most males even brothers from the same mommy will fight to death more often then not. are you sure that he is male ?

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Smile new concern.

Hello,
Yes pretty sure its a boy. he has no nipples. i read that is the easy tell of sex. Im a bit worried about him this morning though.. He had a nursing at 11 last night and has normally been eating every 2 hours. now he absolutely refuses. he has not eaten from the dropper now except a few forced sips in 6 hours. We did place a variety of things in his cage for him to try but i have not seen him touch any of it. When i place the dropper to his mouth he just squirms and fights and squeaks at me. What could be wrong? he was doing so well. and when he sits on my hand he constantly washes and scratches himself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 01:56 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shecat2000 View Post
Hello,
Yes pretty sure its a boy. he has no nipples. i read that is the easy tell of sex. Im a bit worried about him this morning though.. He had a nursing at 11 last night and has normally been eating every 2 hours. now he absolutely refuses. he has not eaten from the dropper now except a few forced sips in 6 hours. We did place a variety of things in his cage for him to try but i have not seen him touch any of it. When i place the dropper to his mouth he just squirms and fights and squeaks at me. What could be wrong? he was doing so well. and when he sits on my hand he constantly washes and scratches himself.
has he pooped ? just a thought maybe hes backed up. whichever it is i hope he will be ok.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hello. yes he has pooped. he poops allot. We have found he is lapping a bit of the milk from the cap we placed in his cage. He has also nibbled a bit of sunflower seed. but i dont think he is eating enough now that he has refused to nurse.

Tags
orphaned baby mouse.