Orphaned baby rats. Questions. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Orphaned baby rats. Questions.

Alright, as the title explains I have rescuced 2 baby rats. Ill give you some basic info about myself, and the story behind this. I have alot of animals of all diferent kinds. At the moment I have 5 bearded dragons, 5 leopard geckos, 2 crested geckos, 1 corn snake, 1 berber skink, 2 budgies, 2 ferrets, 3 cats and last but not least 19 mice! I also have a down payment on two baby corn snakes and im picking them up at the reptile expo in september.
Ive also had a gerbil, a rabbit, guinea pig, hedgehog, rat, 2 other cats, other mice, hampsters and dwarf hamsters. So as you can see Ive had, and have alot of animal expreience. Well last monday a lady from down my street told us that she had 4 baby mice that she found in her garage, and she had found the mother dead. So we took them in, fed them, helped them go potty, everything your supposed to do. We fed them Enfamil Soy baby formula, using a dropper. We used a digital scale to weigh them to determine how much they should eat, and fed accordingly. we fed every 4 hours. They were about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks old, had quite a bit of fur, but eyes and ears were still closed (i think the ears were anyways). We had them for about 48 hours, before the first one passed around 6 pm that wednesday, two of the others went at around 9 pm, and the last around 11. Well, I miss them terribly! They were my babys, and I loved them like my own. The next night I went back to my house feeling like a mother comming home from the hosiptal with no baby (I know to ppl who have had that happen, I probally seem over dramatic, but thats the best way to desribe how I felt). Well anyways, the next day i had to go to the pet store (oviously not the best place for me to be at this time) to get the other mice food and for awhile now Ive wanted to get a rat or two aswell as my other animals. Well we know basicly everyone at the petstore near us and one of the people from the reptile department was walking over from the small pets area where we were. We started talking and I asked what he was holding, he opened his hand to two ADORABLE baby rats, just taken from their mother, to be food. From other pictures on this site I would guess they were 6 or 7 days old (they have just a little teeny bit of hair, but quite alot of color to the darker one). Well... I was a bit emotional still at the time, and kinda .. rescued them. I quickly bought them and left before I could see him taking any more to be used as food.
Ive been following the instuctions from the Rat Report and Rat & Mouse Gazette: Caring for Orphaned Baby Rats to nurse the babys (the same pages I used for the mice) But ive having a few problems with some of the information.
The most important in my eyes is the feeding amount, at the time the rats are 9.2 and 9.1 (theyve been losing weight a little bit they started at 9.8 and 9.7.but the sites said that is normal until they are used to the formula, so im not worrioed about that) So we've multiplyed their weight by 0.05 and got about .45 ml. So thats what weve been feeding them (we started to feed .5 when they were 9.8 and 9.7 but have lowered it a little according to the weight loss). But alot of people of this site say to feed until you can see the whiteness of there full belly. Well Ive never seen that with them. Im not sure if I shoudl be feeding more or not. I want to make sure they get enough, but it says that its important not to over feed which im afraid of doing. So I dot know what to do! Ive had them since Thurday night and feed them every 3 hours (day and night) but their bellys are never white!
They urinate every feeding, usualy before and after, and poop atleast every second feeding. They are at a temperature of 80 - 90 on the warm side, and about 72 ish on the colder side. They have solid poop and Ive been diluting the solution like the sites say.
Another question I have is how to tell if they are bloated, one of the sites say "Watch for bloat. This is a digestive problem where the stomach fills with gas and is very painful." But it doesnt tell you what bloat looks like.
I think those are all of my questions so far, if I have any more I will ask. Hopefully someone can tell me what to do. Thank you everyone for reading my post and I apoligize for the lenth.

Here are a couple pictures of them.
Day we got them (Thursday)

And yesterday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 11:15 AM

I've had several baby rats that I have fed formula to, that was years ago though. I always saw there belly get white and full. try feeding just a small amount more and see what happens. the best way to describe what it looks like is to go to the pet store and ask to look at a pinkie right after the mom has fed them. The bellies look the same in the mice and rat pinkies.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 03:26 PM
RAT ADDICT

Feed them more.You should be able to see the milk in the tummies when they are getting enough and full.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

I think it might have been cuz it wasnt comcentrated enough b4 or something, cuz I can see it now. :S Im not sure what else it could have been but I do see it now.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 07:57 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

This little boy from a past oops litter is 8 days old.

You have your work cut out for you. they say eepers under 2 weeks are incredibly difficult to keep alive. The milk bellies only show for the first few days and aren't an indicator now.

I would say bloat looks exactly like what it sounds like. Just look for signs out of the ordinary, but I think you are doing very well.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

We believe they are about 11 days old now. We have had them about 5 days now. They are getting MUCH more active and have alot more fur now. They now have names (we waited for awhile to name then so I wouldnt get attached, but I figured that if they do pass, I want them to have names.) The dark one is Fae and the White one is Lucky. As you can see in the picture below, that the dark one is now turning brown, instead of black, and the white one actualy looks white now instead of pink! Everything is going well! I think their weight is finaly stabalizing, so thats good!
Wish us luck!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 09:06 AM
RAT ADDICT

Glad they seem to be doing better...but the work isn't over yet!! Keep it up!

Cute names too BTW.

* Lisa *

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

It looks like you have an agouti and a PEW.

They are adorable.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

They're very cute! Good luck with them!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

So adorable!

<3My "Fur" Kids<3
*Rascal, Avalanche: Doggy's*
~Dixon Chance: Cat~
<>Fortora Farms Grey Arrow: Mini Colt<>
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Will It Ever Change?

awwww they're so tiny and fuzzy!!!!!!!!!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Fae has passed away. We had re-named her Libby before she passed, but either way, shes gone. Im not sure how well Lcuk yis doing either. Shes still losing weight. But we have now found a lactating mother that we bought along with her three babies. (6.99 EACH!) I havnt sseen Lucky feeding yet, but Mommy has been grooming her so I believe her to be taken in. Please everyone .. wish me luck. Ill pots again in the morning to let you know what has happened.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 08:07 AM
RAT ADDICT

I am so sorry you lost one.R.I.P little baby.

Hopefully the little one can get some proper nutrients now and hopefully survive.Many people use surrogate rat mothers and don't have problems! Good luck!

* Lisa *

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Lucky has passed now too. The mother took to her, but she wouldn take to the eating, I would put her right agaisnt her nipple and she would not latch on.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 07:49 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am sorry.

* Lisa *

Tags
baby mice, baby rats, bearded dragon, bearded dragons, corn snake, corn snakes, crested gecko, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, guinea pig, leopard gecko, pet store