orphaned white-footed mouse - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

orphaned white-footed mouse

My boyfriend and I were going to go to McDonalds, and when I got in the drivers seat and waited for him to come around so I could back out, he stopped and called me out of the car. Behind my wheel was a baby white-footed mouse, not moving much besides the breathing. It was cold, and he told me it'd probably die, so I got mad and of course, I adopted it. My parents weren't too happy about that, but, there you are. Seeing as I have six cats, the odds of a mother being around is very slim... especially because it was in the exact same place as a bale of hay that I fed to my horses that morning.

Day one - the rescue.
We left the mouse in the garage in the hay most of the day, and all that happened was it got weaker and weaker. In the end, I couldn't take it anymore, and took it inside and placed it in a box. I took it to petco, and was given a syringe to feed it, goat milk, and a heating pad. I read up on mouse care, and, after warming the baby up, feeding it, and stimulating it's bowels, it's a lot more lively. It climbs on my hands, over the towels in the tank, and it cuddles with the TY plushie I put in the tank with it. Bloody cuts on its hind legs, ear and mouth.

Day two - my pet.
Becoming more and more lively with regular feeding every two hours. Stronger, too. Eyes haven't opened yet, ears are still closed, but it has baby fur and silkier fur on it's head. I've concluded it's between ten and eleven days old, but I could be wrong. Very wobbly when it walks around, tends to fall over and jolt. Cuts have begun to heal, the redness in the ear is gone, blood was washed off and cuts look clean and healthy.

Things I've noticed that I'd like help on... it doesn't urinate after every feeding, only about every third feeding. When I feed it, it tends to walk away from the syringe and suckle on my hand when my hand doesn't have anything on it, but it still drinks the formula in the syringe. I've never had a mouse before, so I'm pretty nervous and anxious everytime I leave my bedroom because I read that their survival rates aren't very high at this age. Lastly, I start school next Tuesday, so for eight hours, I won't be here to feed it. What should I do? I've thought about putting it in a jewlery box and sneaking it into school with me, but I'm afraid all the jostling between classes would kill it...

In short, I'm inexperienced and I need help. =x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 05:46 PM

It may need help going to the bathroom, you can try using a q tip with warm water on it to wipe the genitals and imitate a mommy mouse. That's what I had to do to help some baby rats go to the bathroom years ago. If it doesnt go to the bathroom enough, it can become toxic inside its body, essentially killing the baby.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

I do do that though, but it won't go to the bathroom after every feeding like websites say it should...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Going into day three. She pees after every feeding now, not sure if before it was because she went about 8 hours in my garage without food and then was changed to goats milk, or if it was because of pressure. Had to take out the stuffed animal, woke up at six to feed her and her head was stuck under it and she was squirming like something awful. Seems alright now. Her cuts have healed almost completely, thank god. Think she's ready to try a little solid food? She's very energetic, and it looks like her ears are coming forward a little bit. Everytime I feed her now, she climbs in my hand and nibbles my fingers and burrows between them, but her eyes still aren't opened. Suggestions?

My question now is what do I do about when I start school?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 08:25 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

If you're going to try solid food, maybe start with something soft, like banana or grapes. You could even mash up some stuff together into a type of puree, just to see if she'll eat it. (Of course, you could put a few little blocks in her cage and just see what she does with them.) Not sure about mice, but rats generally aren't weaned until about three to four weeks old. Is there anyone who could feed her during the day while you're at school?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunatly, no, both my parents want it dead... They think it's pointless and a waste of energry on my part, but I like caring for it. I just noticed today, she has her top teeth, but not the bottom yet.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Another thing you could try doing is look for a rescue or even a humane society near you. I think it's really nice of you to care for her, and maybe that would be the best option if you think school is going to get in the way. That way, at least you would know that she's being taken care of.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Maybe more teeth will be in by then and you can leave it some mushed banana or dry mouse food purrade [sp?] I hope the little guy makes it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

I'm afraid to take her to a shelter or a pet shop because of what I've read about some peoples baby mice being used to feed rescued carnivores...
I think she should be able to eat mushed bananas soon, she started nibbling my fingers whenever I handle her, that's a good sign right?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Yes that's very good! That means she is getting older and is still healthy. It sounds like you are doing a really good job, its very hard to keep a mouse that young alive! You can try to give her some puree [sp?] What you can do is take food and get it a little wet, so that it is mushy for him. Do you have a cat or dog at home? If you do you can use their food too, it is very healthy and tasty to mice.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

So glad it's a good sign! I think she might be dehydrated though, her skin stays up when I pinch it. I found a homemade recipe for rehydrating solution used for mice, and it's been repeated on different websites, so it should be good. Just in case, I wanted to make sure it was here, too. It's 10 oz warm water, 1 tsp sugar and 1/3 tsp salt, mixed and warmed up.
I'll try making a banana puree for her for her next feeding. I have six cats (three are in our horse barn) and two dogs, but they're food is hard food. Is that still good for her?
Her eyes look like they're getting ready to open, and there's more definition in her ears. I really hope she makes it, I've gotten so attatched!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I don't know about the rehydrating recipe, but it sounds pretty good and I would trust it if it kept repeating. Are you still giving her milk? I would give more milk that the water though and usually you can tell when they are full of milk, because you can see it in their little bellies. The banana puree sounds good, if it doesn't eat any then possibly you could put some on your finger so it can lick it off.

The hard food is fine, just soften it up with a bit of water and that should be good. Puppy food is best, but others work great too (: If the eyes are getting ready to open then you will probably be able to tell if it is a boy or a girl. Here is a good website on how to do that- http://www.thefunmouse.com/info/sexing.cfm It is kind of hard at first, but if you can post pictures the people on here can help you out. You can't post pictures until 20 posts, but if you can I would love to see!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

I can see her milk belly whenever I feed her, she has loose skin on her sides that tends to bunch up when I check her for hydration. Don't know if it's just loose skin that she'll grow into, or if she is dehydrated? I'll try and see if I can post pictures soon, but right now I have to go feed her. =P Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it =]
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Sure! It could be either, she may grow into the skin. It seems like if you are feeding her so much that she wouldn't be dehydrated, but I don't know. When you do post pictures try to get one so we can see what gender it is

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yes, that is definitely good that she is able to nibble on your fingers. I agree with CrWoodyspets--make a puree of some hard food and fruits/veggies and feed that to her as well as the formula she's currently on. Soon she'll probably be able to eat food that is a little bit harder.

Tags
baby, mouse, orphan