Out of the closit - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Smile Out of the closit

I started off with one cat, than we added a second and about a month later we got two rats. Link, our 15 pound male cat has adjusted well to the kitten and the rats, but my new girl cat was a Ferrel kitten and she is always checking them out. and though she has never shown hostility toward them, i worry about handling the rats with her around, because she is so curious.

Is there a way to get them all to get along? the rats are still very skittish even around me, and these are my first rats as an adult, im still figuring out everything.

Helpful hint, tips and ideas are welcome. i know the nature of my cats pretty well, but rats are new to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 03:46 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

A good question and I hope some others respond as I have no personal experience with introducing cats to rats, but what I do know is that even for people who have done intros and have dogs or cats that get along well with their rats, they should never, ever be left alone together unsupervised. It does have to be handled carefully. I hope you get some good, experienced advice from some other members on the forum! Have you gotten any rat care books from the library or bookstore on rats that you have read up on? They usually cover the issues of introducing other pets to your rats so they can learn to be around each other safely, with you supervising. Hope you get some good replies. You can always call your local small animal vet as well to get some advice.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 06:57 AM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyShai View Post
I started off with one cat, than we added a second and about a month later we got two rats. Link, our 15 pound male cat has adjusted well to the kitten and the rats, but my new girl cat was a Ferrel kitten and she is always checking them out. and though she has never shown hostility toward them, i worry about handling the rats with her around, because she is so curious.

Is there a way to get them all to get along? the rats are still very skittish even around me, and these are my first rats as an adult, im still figuring out everything.

Helpful hint, tips and ideas are welcome. i know the nature of my cats pretty well, but rats are new to me.
I'm not an expert and can only speak from my experience with 1 cat and 13 mice. My cat was with me first, and then I started getting mice. I was afraid from the beginning, so I have put the mice in a separate room. My vet also agreed that this was best since they are natural enemies. Your new cat, being a feral, might just make it worse. My last thought is that since your new rats are even nervous with you, putting them with a cat might be dangerous. Do you have a vet you can ask or possibly, a rescue organization. They always have experienced people on hand. Please keep us posted.