Out of town - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Out of town

I am going out of town next week and I was wondering what I should do with my rats. I will be out of town for 1 week. I know rats need lots of attention so I made arrangements for them to go to a friends house and she could not only take care of them but give them attention too. Would it be best to do that and introduce them to a new envirment or leave them here without any attention? I have someone coming over to take care of my other pets but he is scared of rats. Thanks for the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Umm, I would make that decision based on the rats. If they get very stressed moving around, then I would leave them at home. However, if this guy is too scared to even clean their cage or anything, I would move them no matter what. If they at least have their normal cage at your friend's house, that will probably be ok for them. They might be reluctant to come out to play but at least your friend can open the cage up and interact with them that way.
Overall, I would recommend moving them.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 08:24 AM
RAT ADDICT

I am also going out of town soon and I refuse to move my rats around (peronal choice).So I have someone coming here to care for them while I am gone.

You mentioned someone else is going to care for your other animals,but he is afraid of the rats.My suggestion is to put the rats in a seperate room and then have the other friend come to your house to look after them.But keep the rats in a room that your scared friend won't go.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 08:38 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

I'm going on holiday on the last week of july and have sorted out a place for my rats to stay already. I am letting my rats stay at someone elses house because I think this will be the safest and best way. I am letting that perticualler person because they have had rats before, but sadly one has passed away resently and she said that she would not mind taking care of them.
So I feel more comfortable knowing that the lady will know what she is doing.
If I were you I'd move the rats to another place.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 08:59 AM

I just got back from a week of vacationing in my old city in Florida (where I moved from last summer). My grandparents got a Caring For Mice 101 before I left and came to my house (they live just a few miles away) to feed my dogs and my mice and take care of them all while I was away. Worked out really well and they were even able to play with them a little bit. I left the mice a ton of stuff to play with while I was gone so they wouldn't be too bored. I bought them a bunch of presents in Florida though, hehe. A safe wheel to run in, a couple exercise balls, and a new ceramic food dish and a huge bag of Aspen for when I run out of the Carefresh type stuff (I have a 12 lb bag of it right now). They also got some lab blocks but seem to want to play with them like sticks as well as eat them so they drag them all over the place. They love all their new goodies and were delighted to play with me last night. I ended up staying up until sometime past 2 am playing with them last night.. I really missed them but I knew they were in good hands.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I agree that it depends on the individual rat. I really only have two rats out of my current brood of 33 (My God when did that happen!?) that don't love new places and people. Most rats are very curious adventurous animals. We usually will even take a few with us on trips. I mean what would I do for a whole week without rats? What kind of vacation is that?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Hehe I totally agree with you luvboyrats what is a vacation without rats lol but my parents would never want them with us. But I dont really know about my rats I dont think I have taken them anywhere but they are usually curious about everything so they will probably be fine lol I was going to get a friend who has had rats before but she will be out of town the same time I am so I got another friend who I trust
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 07:39 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvboyrats View Post
I agree that it depends on the individual rat. I really only have two rats out of my current brood of 33 (My God when did that happen!?) that don't love new places and people. Most rats are very curious adventurous animals. We usually will even take a few with us on trips. I mean what would I do for a whole week without rats? What kind of vacation is that?
I agree! I'd love to take my rats on vacation.
However usually when I went out of town,I stayed with my nanny who was soooo scared of rats,that she hated seeing even pics or stuffed animals!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *