Outgoing rat suddenly skittish today...Any thoughts?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Question Outgoing rat suddenly skittish today...Any thoughts??

This morning I went through the normal routine with the boys (both almost 5 months old now), and Russell ran out to play in the playpen, but Stanley refused to come out! This is the first time that's ever happened, so I thought it was a bit odd. He stayed inside his cage, in his jean pouch, all day long (even though he had access to his playpen all day). Tonight at dinnertime, he didn't come running to the plate as he normally would. He did finally come out of his pouch, ate as usual, and stood near the cage door looking really scared. When he finally came out into the playpen, he did it very slowly and cautiously, as if something was scaring him. He snuck around the playpen, hopped in my lap, and I picked him up, and when my boyfriend just barely moved on the couch, he darted back into his cage and hid in the pouch, and he's still there now.

Any thoughts about this? I did go to the home of a cat owner last night, and when I came back late in the evening I let the boys out for a bit and Stanley seemed bothered by the smell. Could this still be scaring him today? (I'm just concerned because normally he's so outgoing and basically flies out of the cage when he wakes up.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Hmm, that could have possibly spooked him...maybe Russell was playing a bit ruff with him or something?
I hope he gets back to normal soon!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks! He did finally come out tonight, and though he was really nervous and sniffing everything cautiously at first, he eventually got back to his old rambunctious self and seemed to settle down. I bet it was probably the smell of the cat that spooked him. Hopefully he's over it permanently, now!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 12:12 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

I hope so!
One time I was really busy and didn't play with my girlies as long as usual and the nest day they were both a little skittish! That's different but still same in a way

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 07:06 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Yep sounds like your boy reacted instinctually to the smell of the cat in his territory. He probably thought the cat was there now, not just a smell on your clothes.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 08:49 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

yeah! my louna does the exact same thing