Over Grooming Tail - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Over Grooming Tail

Kila (my rat) has been over grooming her tail. Is this because she needs a friend to live with? I've only been a rat owner for a couple of months... I have a lot to learn.. Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 02:53 PM
Guarded by Waffles

I have always heard that rats are social animals. You might want to consider getting her a friend, but interoducing them VERY slowly!

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks.. I'm working on building her a bigger cage so she can have a buddy. Kila is still young, she is between 20 - 25 weeks old. Do you know how old they are when they stop growing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Guarded by Waffles

Actually no I don't own rats (fiance doesn't like them) and I wouldn't know where to begin on telling you anything about them besides they are social animals. Now if they are anything like gerbils she is probably young enough to get a friend and be introduced rather quickly but I would wait until Vanilla Rat comes on, or someone else with rats so they can tell you more. Sorry I am not much of a help.

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

That's OK, thanx for trying anyway, it's appreciated..
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Adolescent Pup

My parents have three rats and they are happy little bugs. They are always grooming each other, playing, snuggling, and what not. I am sure that a friend is a very good idea. Everyone says so.

When I had my first rat I never got her a friend. I always had her out, whether she was with me or with her ball. I would talk to her all the time. The only time she was really in her cage was when she was eating, going to the bathroom, or when she was sleeping. She developed my sleep patterns so whenever I was asleep she was too.
My boyfriend will not let me get another rat. (And honestly, I only want one. I feel I can give her the attention she needs if I only have her. That is why my first rat and I bonded so well.) I am home a little too much and he is usually at work during the day so I have no company. To fix that, I always have her out with me. She is my little apprentice. Hopefully she will be like my first rat. So far she is acting just like her.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

hey i dont know if the grooming the tail thing is because she needs a friend... but it very well could be because shes bored... rats are really really social... when you get one make sure to quorinteen (spelling?!) for a week or so (great time to make friends!) and introduce them on neutral ground and normally they get along right away. mine all did

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Part of the Pack

ratties NEEEEEEED friends, shes probly depressed, it happens a lot in rats thats why I urge people to get atleast 2!! she NEEDS a friend, im glad to hear your trying to get another.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanx so much guys, as soon as my new cage is done I will get another female for sure, then my baby girl will probably be nuttier then she already is!! If that's possible.. She can be such a spazz.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 11:14 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yes,rats NEED friends.They are highly social animals,unlike hamsters.They can become bored and depressed (as mentioned) if they are kepy alone.

No matter how much attention you give her,nothing compares to the companionship of another rat.There are going to be times when you cannot be with her and those times,she definatly needs a friend.

What do you mean by over grooming her tail??

My rats don't wash their tails enough!!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
Yes,rats NEED friends.They are highly social animals,unlike hamsters.They can become bored and depressed (as mentioned) if they are kepy alone.

No matter how much attention you give her,nothing compares to the companionship of another rat.There are going to be times when you cannot be with her and those times,she definatly needs a friend.

What do you mean by over grooming her tail??

My rats don't wash their tails enough!!
She makes her tail bleed. Not always, but sometimes when I get up in the morning she has dried blood on her nose from her tail, there are no obvious cuts on the tail, but you can see that is where it is coming from for sure. They only thing I could think of is that she is lonely for someone (another rat) because she never does it when she's out with us.

Tags
social animals, vanilla rat