Overgrown Lower Teeth? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Overgrown Lower Teeth?

Well it appears that my nudey girl, Bug, wasn't given enough to gnaw on in her other home, her bottom teeth are quite elongated, she can't close her mouth. Should I just give her lots of hard things to chew on, try to wear them down? What can I do? I'll try to find a vet that works with rats.. Although that may be hard, I live in Oklahoma -_-

What all is there that I can do? Might this be causing her pain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 01:43 PM
I am allergic to maths

Try and find a vet and make sure she has chew toys is the best anyone can suggest. I doubt you would but NEVER clip the teeth yourself, it isnt safe and could cause the animal pain
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I've cut my rat's tooth before with this:

She had broken her other tooth on something so I evened out the other one for her.
But I agree with rodentsrule, if you have never clipped a rodent's teeth before do not do it yourself, it's very hard to get a good hold of the rat and do it. It's stressful for you and the animal, and you may hurt your rat pretty bad, so you're better to go to the vet to do it! (i have done it many times having rehabilitated squirrels and hares for several years)
If you can't find a rat specialized vet, ask the vets around you how much experience they have clipping teeth and on what animals and if they would be 100% comfortable doing it to a rat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Oh my gosh no, I could never clip her teeth, I hate to see animals in pain and if I inflicted it upon an animal.. I've no idea how I'd live with myself.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Okay, wonderful! I have an appointment with a local vet tomorrow to have her little teethies fixed!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 07:50 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeHale View Post
Okay, wonderful! I have an appointment with a local vet tomorrow to have her little teethies fixed!
No matter what your rat had/has to chew on malocclusion (misalignment of the teeth) can happen. The top and bottom incisors are normally trimmed down when a rat bruxxes, and they should be even on the top surfaces since they line up to properly grind down. If something changes then they don't line up and those rodent teeth can grow fast and then crookedly. If the bottom teeth are even but are splaying out a bit like a V when you look at them this is also normal for rat teeth.
Sounds like a trim is in order and possibly many more in the future as the teeth grow, until the broken tooth is back to normal and you can stop. But a lot of malocclusions need to be trimmed regularly by a vet.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

it was me who had a rat with a broken tooth! i cut the other tooth to almost the same size and within a couple weeks she was totally fine!
Zoe's rat just doesn't close her mouth because both lower teeth are too big!

Tags
lower, overgrown, teeth