parents= rats=approval - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

parents= rats=approval

my parents are still not budging! I have shown them every site everything I could use as a tool to get their approval...they wont agree...what were some of the ways you guys got your parents to approve a rat as your pet? BTW...HAPPY EASTER!!!(cute bunnie)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 10:40 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Find a good book. Buy it, or make it a birthday or christmas wish!
Read the book! And make sure your parents know you read it!
Find all the info YOU can, and make some sort of a presentation, to show your parents how much you know about the animal.
You need to find out what they eat, what type of cage you need, how many animals you should get (1 if it's not a social animal, 2 if it's a social animal), and so on.

Bur the most importatn ting - BE PATIENT
If your still interested in rats in a year or two, your parents will think you really want the animal.
If you want a new type of animal ever few months, I can understand why your parents won't let you get an animal.

Even though you say it's your animal, it will be your parents responsibility to care for it, until you are 18 (I think it's 18... thats the age over here anyway). So you need to prove you are responsible.

I got my first chinchilla when I was 11 years old. I saw them in a program a couple of years earlier, and never lost the intrest. But to make sure I would take care of him, I had to read a book about chinchillas (big deal for me, I didn't like reading that much, at that age)...
Then we got all the things we needed, and I got my chinnie.

No good and responsible parent will give an animal to their child, if the child is not responsible.

In your case, you should point out, that you need 2, and the only live to be 2-3 years old...

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 02:41 AM
Aspires to Stupidity

Sometimes it is best just to obey your parents. When I was younger I always wanted a big dog, but there was no way that they were going to get one. I tried everything, but there was absoluley no way, so I figured I would just wait until I was on my own. Now I have my BIG dog and she is so awesome, I love her to pieces! Sometimes you have to wait for the things you really want, it's just a part of life. I had to wait for over 10 years for my dog. It's hard sometimes, but so worth it when you finally get something you've been waiting so long for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

i have 2 big dogs they are a joy! my dad says they get in the way...i love their dumb faces! not that they are dumb they are adorable!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 11:56 AM

Do YOU have 2 dogs?
How on earth do you plan on having time to care for rats then?
And if you have some animals, and your parents won't let you get anymore, just do as they say!

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 12:37 PM

The way I got my first rat was by making a deal and bargaining with my dad. I showed him I already had a cage and that I knew how to take care of of it. Just show your parents how responsible you are, they will come around eventually.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
Just show your parents how responsible you are, they will come around eventually.
Yeah. She's right. if you have 2 BIG DOGS, and take good care of them, tell your dad, Hey. I take GREAT care of my dogs. rats are a fraction of the size, and will not roam about the house!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 08:04 PM

BTW - don't you thing you should get your gerbil a friend, before you get any new animals?
They are very social, and it is just cruel to keep them alone!

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i wouldn't get a rat if you ever plan on having it out (and you should) with mouse traps around the house that they have access to as your ham died that way.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

i threw those away my gerbil stays in the basement cause its mostly my bros and my 2 dogs live in my heated garage
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Part of the Pack

I say you should just accept the fact that you cannot get a rat while living under your parents' roof, enjoy the animals you have now, and wait til you're on your own to get anymore. Thats okay that you want a rat and you're sad that you cannot get one but going on and whining about it in many different threads is not going to help the situation...

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

lol, & I don't think your parents are mean, I think it would be mean if your parents let you get a rat and bring it into such a busy household with so many pets and try to bring it up when you don't really know anything about any of your animals...

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinnymom
...but going on and whining about it in many different threads is not going to help the situation.
and looking at your signature says it all and then some.
..... is that how a "16 yr. old" really behaves?

Jomances sig below...vvvvvvvv

Rats are myLIFE!!!!

Even though I don't have one!!

I want one though!!

My parents are mean!!

They think they are dirty!!

NOT MEEEEE!!!

If you love rats and your parents dont.......

SOOOO.....Tell them like it is!!BEG!!

Last edited by luvnature; 03-24-2008 at 11:10 AM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:41 AM

(Removed)
Some 16 years old do behave like that!
I've known a few...

(Removed)
I belive she is 16... I've known people at the age of 20 and above behave like that...

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

Last edited by Jade; 03-24-2008 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Please keep it civil.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm closing this thread.

Stephanie

Closed Thread