Patchwork Rats - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Question Patchwork Rats

Hello everyone. I went to a local pet store today and they had what they called "patchwork rats", which I had never heard of before! (Though I came home and looked them up online, so I know they actually do exist as the shop worker explained.) Apparently their hair falls out in random places at random times... Just wondering if anyone has ever had one of these guys before or known someone who did? From the little info on the internet, they seem to have an increased number of health problems. Is that true? Are they different from regular rats in any other way? (temperament, diet, hygiene, etc)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 03:56 PM

How strange!!

I have no knowledge about or have ever heard of these guys. I would think that the increased health problems would result from whatever genetic oddities allow the hair loss?

Very interesting, I hope that you find some answers!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 04:18 PM

They're no different from other rattys, at least when it comes to temperament. I've never owned one, but I've read about them here and there.

That poor ratty...I really hope someone nice adopts him. Usually those rats are not the prettiest, so they are bought with mean intentions, or never bought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Part of the Pack

i just looked it up, oh my god it's cute and ugly at the same time. people would totally get one for mean reasons. i know most people don't advocate buying pets from pet stores, but if there's one on sale i'd totally buy it so people aren't thinking mean things when they buy them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Cheryl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 05:19 PM
RAT ADDICT

The "patchwork" rat is actually a double rex rat.
Double rexes have patches of fur all over their body,which sometimes falls out,giving them the patchy appearance.

Their care is almost the same as a normal/standard rat.
But they do tend to have more health problems,as the true hairless rat does.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 05:21 PM

BINGO BINGO! Just like VanillaRat said they have fly away hair so it gives them patchy looks. You never know where their furs gunna grow lol.
Ditto on the health problems too, be careful because poorly bred/taken care of ones will almost 100% have a URI.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
The "patchwork" rat is actually a double rex rat.
Double rexes have patches of fur all over their body,which sometimes falls out,giving them the patchy appearance.

Their care is almost the same as a normal/standard rat.
But they do tend to have more health problems,as the true hairless rat does.
I knew it was a Rex, just wasn't 100% and didn't want to put anything wrong. Yay Vanilla!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Yeah, I felt bad for them when I found out their hair falls out... as babies right now, they are totally fuzzy, but one of them already did have a bald spot coming in. (I agree that people might treat them worse if they look *different*. Too bad...)

Since I'm new to the forum it won't let me post a link, but if you Google "What in the World is a Fugs?" (select the first link, at Critter City), a woman has posted pictures of her patchwork rat there.

I'd never heard of them before!!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 06:09 AM
Rodentologist

I had one come into the rescue that had been produced by a local breeder who sold them to pet stores. She was fine right up until around she was a year old, and then I came home one night and she was gasping for breath and couldn't breathe. We rushed her to the emergency vet, and it turned out she had an enormous tumor pressing against her lungs. It was an awful way to have to go. We helped her over the bridge.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 06:44 PM

Watch out for dry skin. If the skin does get dry, don't wash them. Rub the rat down in olive oil or add some to their diet. Some rats don't get enough oils in their diet and can lead to dry skin. I would also pick a softer sort of bedding, just so the skin doesn't get scratched up or anything.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 09:24 PM
RAT ADDICT

Fleece was a favorite of my nekkids!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *