Photos! Paw-Talk Newbie - And Furry Family - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Red face Paw-Talk Newbie - And Furry Family

EDIT: Maybe pictures will be at bottom, had to upload them instead of just using photobucket or whatever, to add to my story =(
***Links to my images removed***

After spending a few hours over a couple days exploring this forum, I decided that it was rather active, and I liked the atmosphere and family-like community enough to sign up myself.

So to start, I'm Cass. A life-long rat owner and lover. Several months ago I lost my two best friends in an unfortunate fire accident.

Hope this works.
These were my best friends and furry-babies for over a year.

It is hard not to fall in love with a gentle innocent baby that wants nothing more than your cuddles and tickles - sometimes a constant task. I figure everyone here can identify.

So finally a couple months ago I got in contact with a good breeder nearby, and had to wait for a litter to be born - then weaned. It was so difficult, but I was promised first picks of the litter.

After a long bus ride into Washington, and a long bus ride back into Oregon, my baby girls are finally home.

Also of notice, I picked up a pair of ASF "Rats" a couple weeks ago, just to check out since this species was new to me. The breeder of my rats also bred these ASF's, as well. He warned me about handling them, because of severe aggression. Ignoring his warnings, I found a docile, non-aggressive female that had never even been handled before.

This amazed me. My pair at home are partially aggressive, and the rest of this litter's siblings wanted nothing more than to bite or fly three feet in the opposite direction if anyone attempted handling.

When I got her home, my pair immediately cleaned her off and adopted her as their own. <3

So here's happy baby, and two lucky, but protective, adoptive parents.

The finding of such a docile and naturally non-aggressive female ASF has sparked my interest of selectively breeding for a non-aggressive line of ASF's for the future world of pets. So my search for a natural good-temperament male is on..... We will see if I can accomplish this. I have high hopes for this species, as more than just a snake food product.

Maybe I will post my male rats later.... Red Eyed Siamese Dumbo, and Agouti Self Dumbo. Gunna post now, hope this works, and glad to meet everyone and their rodent families.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ripgirls.JPG (6.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg asfbaby.JPG (7.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg hatbuddygirls.JPG (38.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg familyasf.JPG (29.5 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Welcome Cass!

Welcome to the Forum Cass! It is a super Rat and Mouse forum and you are right, it does feel like a family. We all share the same love of our little rodent kids. I just recently lost both of my boys, Klausse and Wolfgang, and when I put up a photo memorial of them, I got so many kind and wonderful comments from others on the forum who knew my babies from previous posts and also know how hard it is to lose your rat kids. It is a very supportive environment. Your rats are adorable! Thanks for posting pictures of them! Such cuties. Again, welcome and I hope to see you again soon.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 04:20 PM
Betta Bomb

Hi and welcome Just to clarify, by 'best friends' did you mean the picture of the first 2 rats? Or human besties? :/ sorry about the loss either way!
I think the rat/mouse section is the most active part of this forum!! Enjoy
Also, LOVE the lil dumbos!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Sorry I didn't much clarify. Lol

My lost best friends are the two ratties in the first picture. Loss is hard, and you can never expect to replace the relationship you had with the lost loved ones...
But at the same time, there are always more bouncing babies and sweet adult rats that have the love to give, and want and need a family to share it with.

Glad ya love the little dumbos. So far they've been VERY fun and playful cuddlers. Can't imagine life without such little critters with such HUGE personalities.

Anyway, very glad to be here... Everyone here seems so supportive and helpful towards each other. I hope that I can make such helpful contributions as many of the wonderful people here.

It's been so fun checking out everyone else's little ones.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Glad you are enjoying the forum.
I knew you were talking about your two ratties when you said you lost your two best friends. My dumbo boys were my two best friends too, so I know how you feel.
Good to have you on the forum!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Welcome to Paw Talk! So sorry to hear about your loss...but I'm glad you've been able to find some new companions. They look adorable!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks so much everyone, for the warm welcome!

Vladina,
Have you been thinking about whether you'd be adopting another duo to spoil? Or just letting some time pass after the loss you experienced?
Just wondering.
I can't even really identify how many times I've lost a best rattie friend and told myself 'NEVER AGAIN!', because of their short life-span and how much it hurts to lose them.... But then every time in my life that I've become lonely, or needed a baby to love and be mom to, I've always naturally turned back to the best companions in the world (in my opinion) - RATS!

It just took me a while to realize that maybe I can avoid the health problems that kept taking my babies away (URI and tumors), if I avoided pet store rats, no matter how cute they are, or how likely they are to be snake food.

So honestly, this is my first time paying a bit more than 'feeder' price for my babies, knowing that they came from a breeder with a huge emphasis on health before all else. I hope this move allows them to live a full life with me, without traumatizing and painful young deaths, caused by genetic problems that no poor baby should have to suffer.

OK enough ranting... From what I've seen, your boys were such intelligent and loving individuals! Have just been wondering if you've considered providing a loving home and family to another rattie, or pair, that needs it? You're such a wonderful mommy, the ratties who find their way to you would be extremely lucky!!!

Oops, again sorry for ranting. And I hope I'm not touching on sore subjects, here. I guess I have no idea yet what is forum appropriate or not. o_o Just sharing my thoughts out loud, I guess.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Calico,
No worries at all, your post was great and you asked some very valid questions.

Yes, we crave having babies to be rat parents to, and it is very hard to not have our lil furries in the house to love, but yes, Marc (my husband and world's best rat dad) and I both need a lot of healing time after losing our babies. As you already know, it was a devastating loss and we need lots of time to mend after this. No matter how much we get those cravings for new babies to love, we know we are not ready yet. Today is actually a month since we lost the first of our two boys, so the wound is still very fresh. But yes, eventually we definitely plan to adopt two new boys, when the time is right. It is just too wonderful having rat kids in the house to go forever without them. But the heartbreak is so hard, as you know, when you lose them.

We did get our boys from a reputable private breeder in our area who puts health above all else and of course does not sell his rats as feeders. He does not even allow single adoptions. All his rats are sold in pairs as he knows how important it is for them to have a buddy to keep them company. He is a great breeder and he has a strict adoption application for his adoptive parents. Our poor boys just got unlucky by contracting myco at such an early age. But yes, we will definitely have ratty boys again in our future.

And thank you for all the kind words! I am glad you got to see photos and posts of our boys! Can't wait to see more pictures from you of your ratty babies in the future!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for all of your kind words as well!!

Hey, when it comes to adopting your new duo, you will know when the time is right. That has always been the way I felt about adopting new furry babies. The timing will feel right, and the connection to the new little ones will feel right, right away. There will be no questions when all finally comes together as 'right' - And just 'meant to be'!

Maybe some time I will share more pictures of my babies (maybe my adult boys, too) - Never really know who's really interested enough to see them, including the lurkers that are probably getting value from posting about our families.

Your breeder sounds good, what has been really important to me is constant contact with my breeder any time I have a question or concern, he is always right there for me on phone or E-mail. Continuing concern and interest in the babies they produced is an awesome quality to have in a breeder. There's just something special about always having that kind of personal support that can only come from the one who owns your babys' parents, and selectively decided what your little ones would be like.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yep, I fully agree about how valuable it is to have a caring breeder who really does care about their adopted babies.

And as for pictures of your rat kids, people on this forum always LOVE to see photos of each other's ratties! We always look forward to seeing new photos!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

Tags
asf rats, introduction, rats