Photos! Pea fishing! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Pea fishing!

Well, this morning I got out the camera again, much to Russell's dismay, and took some pictures of the boys going pea fishing! I always love seeing everyone's photos on here, so I thought I'd add a few more of my own! Happy pea fishing!

Stanley ready to go fishing:

Russell loves to put his whole head under the water. (I'm gradually making it deeper every day so they get used to it. Hopefully eventually they'll go swimming!)

Stanley eating a pea he just stole from Russell:

Time to clean up!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

SO CUTE!!!!! ahh the variegated blazed, i love them!

I really need to make a playpen for louna!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

SO pretty!! I love them both, they are very handsome!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 02:45 PM

How precious! *snuggles Stanley and Russell*

We can never have enough pictures of rattys on here!! I love it!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 03:11 PM
RAT ADDICT

Awwww...such great,cute pictures!!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I love the one where Stanley is cleaning his face! They are super cute! When you let them go pea fishing do you use dried peas or frozen?

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 03:57 PM

Awwh! They look like they are having fun. How did you start getting them used to water?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks everybody!

For pea fishing, I just plop a bunch of frozen peas in a tub of water, with some rocks for them to play with also. To get them used to the water, I started out with a shallow dish with a little bit of water in it that they could touch and drink from during playtime in their pen. Next, a little bit bigger dish with a bit more water (still incredibly shallow, though) with a few frozen peas in it. This week I switched to a 9x13 baking dish (they'll probably use it more than I do! haha!) and started out with hardly any water in the bottom, and added some rocks and frozen peas. Every day I add a tiny bit more water than they had the day before. As of today, they're probably at a depth of about 3/4". I plan to keep increasing the depth, then eventually switch to a bigger plastic tub (a kitty litter box, actually) so that they'll gradually start swimming!

I think the key is just going slow--they'll learn in no time!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 04:38 PM

Thank you for sharing your technique! I shall definitely have to try it. I can't wait. I think I will try it tomorrow, when I have time!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Thank you also! Great idea! I also know that those paint pans are good fro pea fishing

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrWoodyspets View Post
Thank you also! Great idea! I also know that those paint pans are good fro pea fishing
Yes!! I have also heard of people using these! I bet they'd be really good, especially for the "ramp" going down into the deep part. I might actually try to get one and see how it works...

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 11:20 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

You must let us know how it goes! I bet you can get them very cheap or even free

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I went out to the hardware store this afternoon and picked up a plastic paint tray! It has a big bottom that can get fairly deep, so I might have overdone it a bit too soon with the water...but they still got in and managed to get all the peas anyway! (Tomorrow I won't put in quite so much water, since I want them to get used to it gradually!)

It was soooo funny watching them dunk their entire heads into the water to reach the peas! Stanley was shaking the water off so hard right away after coming out of the tray that he'd actually send his pea (which he had in his mouth) flying across the playpen!
They both caught on pretty fast, though!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 06:21 AM
Adolescent Pup

They are very cute.. My boys don't really have an interest in pea fishing yet. Tried it one day but, totally ignored it... The peas that you use.. are they home grown or from the store? The ones I have are home grown... I wonder if that has anything to do with it....

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.
Proud mommie of 2 dogs & Some Fish.
American Bulldog : Chesty.
Chihuahua/Terrier Mix : Beethoven.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Hmm, mine I just get from the store. (I don't have a garden, though I wish I did!) It took a couple tries of me giving them peas to eat before they actually realized they loved them. Maybe try giving the peas to them a couple more times just as snacks, and see if they end up liking them?

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)