People make no sense - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

People make no sense

As you all know my one of my female spinies had her babies a week ago and I already had an adopter waiting or so I thought. Well I just got off the phone with her and she gona extremely smart with me and told me she didnt want to wait a month till the babies were weaned, well that went over like a lead balloon. Told her to not contact me again cause she was never getting any of my mice. Has anything like this happened to the breeders here?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Playful Pup

Did she just want them for feeding purposes? And mask it like she was going to have them as pets?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I've had that happen several times. A good rule of thumb is to screen all applicants, I always ask a few basic questions such as How many people are there living in your home? Who will be the main care giver for the rats? How many/what other pets do you have in your home? Have you owned rats in the past? Do you rent or own? (If they are renters I always ask for the name and number of their landlord to ask if they are in fact allowed to own rodents)

I'm sorry that happened to you, but I do hope you find great homes for the little buggers!

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

She "said" she wanted them for her daughter and apparently her child had a tantrum and she caved and I am the one who got cussed out and thanks for the tips ill use them in the future and if I cant find homes theyll just have to stay with me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It's probably better she didn't get any, they aren't good kid pets anyways and it sounds like she didn't research .

Before taking reserves, maybe consider asking if they know the basics of keeping spinies? That could weed out people like her since a lot of people think their care is the same as fancy mice...

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

been there done that. I had some one contact me saying they breed and showed rabbit and wanted to get into the gerbil and were looking for colors that were avalible, so I sent her pictures and showed her ones that were being breed plus the suprise rare pop up colors and she was intersted price was fine all that. And I told her that they come with a contract that every one has to sing the pet one but for breeding I like to work with the future breeder and we do a contract together this way I know whats going on. No problem still right. SO I sent her a sample of breed contract which only a few things I will change or alter, and she had already told me that she was interested on some and which ones. So after I sent her the contracts she contated me back and said sorry I didnt see any colors I was interested in. ha when she prevsouly siad she was.
something funny there. I made my contracts lenghty and not run around but sorta really strict. So i think she was after food becuase some people are willing to pay the price to get food or breeders for food. Adn that is one breeding contract I will not permit.
Sounds like she tryed pulling the simpathy card on you by saying her kid probaly thinking you would feel bad and cave. I have had people ask me when is my next litters and when I tell them they are calling the day they arive wanting them I'm like hello I told you this is when I place them to breed this is who long it takes, it will be this long before they can leave mom till they are not weened.
I think some people anymore only hear what they want or dont listen to well or have no concept of pasiont or respect. Thats like saying puppies are born right now and the new owner wanting it. dont people relize there like puppys and kittens they need mom for a while. they dont comeout ready to leave.
What was she gonna do take them and nurse them?????? I think you did the right thing by telling her not to call again. You'll find them loveing homes even if like you siad they have to stay with you at lest you know they would be cared for and loved.

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.

Last edited by Diamond01; 01-08-2010 at 10:37 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 08:51 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

If you are going to adopt out animals you need to have an adoption application. I made up my own for my rescue rats, and its vital to weed out the idjits. People who cannot be bothered to fill out and send back the application are already weeded out

And you must word it to you can trip up people who don't know enough about the animals in the first place. I know of one rescue that says exactly what she expects of the care of the rats, but all they have to do is say Yes, and not do it. With mine I ask things like "when would you take your rat to the vet?" (implying vet care is necessary, and seeing what their answer is lets me know how much they know. What type of cage, bedding, food will the rat(s) be using? Etc. See what I mean?

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 09:03 AM
Official Loofah Tester

It also helps to educate a newbie pet owner without preaching to them.

That's exactly the kind of adoption application the breeder from whom I'm getting my new ratties had. Since I've no experience with rats, it was actually very educational and gave me specific areas to narrow my search for knowledge on rat care and my pet plan.

"How long each day will your rat have outside it's cage" What? They NEED outside time each day? Wow. Okay then....time to learn about that.

"If you need to rehome your rats, what is your plan?"...Oooh Good question! Let's line up potential homes now! This new pet isn't disposable, it's a responsibility!

She asked things like: Do I rent or own? Has anyone in my household been convicted of animal cruelty? Explain? What other pets do I have? Do I have children? Ages? How do they interact with animals? Please provide 3 character references, their addresses, and contact information. Do I have a vet for my existing animals? Name Address and Contact Info? Do I have an exotics vet for my future rats lined up? Name Address and Contact Info?

It was very thorough.

Often my answer to the questions was that I had no clue, but I would be willing to take any advice the breeder had to offer. She was very forthcoming and helpful.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 01-09-2010 at 09:13 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

I usally ask people who contact me by e-mail all the questions and if over the phone I jot down thier name and what they say. I always e-mail them sites even if they have had rats or other rodents that I breed before. Some of them follow the same sites and some fine others they have not seen before and I includ my vet info in their.
If they never had them before we talk for a long while and I tell them all I can think of to tell them. But again I give them sit info and I have care sheets that are from the rat guid that I print out and some othe sites I give them plus what I do with mine as well. I print out 2 contracts and have them sign both and in includs in a care sheet thier care. BUt the contract is the adiotion form as well I just put it togther saves on all the this paper is for here stuff. Although for thouse who love rats have no problem reading the long contract i have and understanding it but I have has 2 so far start and one siad I think I will wait before I get into a rat agian and the other was snobby and wanted to know why I would have to keep her updated on the rats after she got them and why care if she breeds or not after she adopted them from me. It was none of my bizz after I let them go. I told her that I think she mistaken me for a pet shop who dont give a dam. There are a few that do.
Most that have gotten rats off me have either had them before or have and only 2 have never owned them but got them for thier kids and dont mind them but when we were out and about they keep asking me and we would talk for awhile till they eventually came to look at them and learn more.
I like we people can work together but when they complian about stuff like I cant wait that long and why do you need updates then their is more of a bottom line their. But their are some who are deveouse enough to pay and sign what ever and break contract and do with it what they want.
I was thinking of making an app for thouse who want to to fill out so I could view and get back to them but they mostly call me and show up and we talk for hours about rats and I jot little notes donw or like I siad ask them question threw mail. It takes pasiont to find them loving homes and it gives us a head ake dealing with the morons that come along before the true blues people get there.

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 12:30 PM
RAT ADDICT

Normally I give my rats and mice (when I have babies I mean) to friends and family who have HAD these types of pets before and I know they can and will take care of them.If it is a friend who is new to rats/mice I help them out with information and research and everything.

And for whatever reason,if they cannot keep the mouse or rat...IT MUST BE RETURNED TO ME.I have never had problems with it...I did have a couple people who had to return animals to me and everything was fine.Most don't though.

IF it is someone I don't know,I ask them tons of questions to see if they know what they are talking about or if they will care for the animals.I also want to meet them first and usually invite them to my home.I also ask for updates on the animals.It is easy to tell (usually) who has done their research or not.

I have never had any REAL problems with anyone fortunatly.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks for all the advice I shall use them in future inquiries. But you wanna know the kicker? The lady called back and asked if she could still buy them I told her when **** froze over pardon my french.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 07:05 AM
Official Loofah Tester

The cheek of some people! The sense of entitlement is crazy.

Excellent job sticking to your guns.

Minor thread hijack, but it's five in the morning and I'm still grumpy. The entitlement reminds me of a girl @ the movie theater last night. She was texting right next to us in the movie. HUGE pet peeve of mine as the glowing white light in a dark theater cannot be ignored. We eyed her a few times and while she was aware of us, ignored us. Finally we said something to her, and she got very defensive and said in a huffy tone "Well, my grandmother is in the hospital dying so I have to use the phone!" Now on the surface you might think we were in the wrong. But her whole reaction to us was one of someone making up a story to make us feel bad for calling her to task. And know what? I don't care if it's my entire family on death's door, I'd have still had the common courtesy to step out into the partitianed hallway where I could still watch but not disrupt the movie. I swear, next time I'm going to lean way in and read over their shoulder. If they say something I'll reply "Oh, I can't concentrate on the movie because of it and I figured I'd recoup my $40 dollars entertainment this way. Don't mind me." [/hijackrant]

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyseeker View Post
The cheek of some people! The sense of entitlement is crazy.

Excellent job sticking to your guns.

Minor thread hijack, but it's five in the morning and I'm still grumpy. The entitlement reminds me of a girl @ the movie theater last night. She was texting right next to us in the movie. HUGE pet peeve of mine as the glowing white light in a dark theater cannot be ignored. We eyed her a few times and while she was aware of us, ignored us. Finally we said something to her, and she got very defensive and said in a huffy tone "Well, my grandmother is in the hospital dying so I have to use the phone!" Now on the surface you might think we were in the wrong. But her whole reaction to us was one of someone making up a story to make us feel bad for calling her to task. And know what? I don't care if it's my entire family on death's door, I'd have still had the common courtesy to step out into the partitianed hallway where I could still watch but not disrupt the movie. I swear, next time I'm going to lean way in and read over their shoulder. If they say something I'll reply "Oh, I can't concentrate on the movie because of it and I figured I'd recoup my $40 dollars entertainment this way. Don't mind me." [/hijackrant]
Oh, I hate that! My best friend who at the time I hadn't seen in 4 years decided to meet up while she was in town and headed to the theatre. Well when we sat down we were followed by a group a young teens, well everytime the camera would move they would screen and they were throwing things at people. So I got up told the workers and they did nothing about it. Well my friend and I got the bright idea to sit behind them and chuck ice cubes at them (childish I know but the movie was ruined and we wanted some entertainment) Well they got real angry with us and left LOL which is what we were after to begin with

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 07:45 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyseeker View Post
Unfortunately grief and worry makes people forget things like polite movie theatre behaviour. Your statement of "I don't care if its my entire family on death's door" means you have NEVER been there. You really should try to be a little more compassionate in these circumstances.

Maybe she went to the movie to distract herself, get out of the house, etc. You just don't know.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 03:27 PM
RAT ADDICT

It doesn't matter.

If she wanted to get her mind off things and go to a movie,then thats fine...but she shouldn't be texting in the theater annoying EVERYONE else.If the texting was so important,she should step out into the hall for a few minutes.By lighting up the theater with her phone,it distracts people who actually want to watch the movie.She could of very well made up that story to "get away" with texting.

I have gone to theaters when I needed to get my mind of things and you know what? I turn my phone off.I have respect for others around me and if by any chance I needed to make a call or a text,I would simply step out of the theater.That is not hard to do.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
babies, mice, spinies