Pepper :( .... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Pepper :( ....

Okays. I have had a lot of bad luck reasently and it's beggining to get me depressed. First, Arthur gets a chest infection and has to be seperated from the others with his own meds. Than, I notice all my rats are covered in bites because of Husky, so I went through a whole load of trouble with him and than spent a load of money on him to get him a cage of his own ect. And after all that, Arthurs chest infection... returns. So, Arthur is back on meds and while everything is running sooo smoothly* I noticed Pepper now has *Something* on his side/tummy.
Well, most of you know that Pepper has never been a healthy rat. He has had an RI all his life with the porophrine and nothing can get rid of it. Than he got a UTI which went away... than came back... and now he has something on his side/tum. I don't know what it is, but I'm worried... and scared. Pepper has had my heart right from the beggining, I know i shouldn't have favourites, but he pretty much has me wrapped round his little finger.
At first, I saw the injury when Pepper was on my bed, I picked him up straight away and without having to think, I automatically rushed him to the kitchen with some cotton wall and washed his wound. Pepper is still being himself.. eating fine and drinking, well, as far as I know, but I can see that whatever it is on his side/tum is giving him slight discomfort. Rayray is also looking after Pepper, grooming his wound, keeping him warm, and even if Pepper doesn't like it, Rayray will make sure he gets special treatment lol.
Right... now to describe the wound to you, I'll try to explain the best I can;
at first I thought it might be just a cut, however, there is not much blood at all, not even in his cage, but it is slightly bloody. The skin looks asthough the inside of him has got so fat that his skin just split open (I know thats not it.. just explaining lol). Generally the wound already looks clean by itself. It's although there is a hole in his side, like a perfect round circle, where the skin has just 'opened' and underneath, there is just a VERY soft layer of... skin I suppose. It's so strange. I don't think it's a cut. I think it might be an abcsess, but I really am clueless. I can't find pics on the internet, but I am trying to get some pics to show you, however, Pepper wont stay still and he gets all freaked out.
I hope I made sence, my heads in a spin right now and I don't know what i'm going to do. I'm getting a headache, finding it hard not to cry and feel physically sick because everythings going wrong. But, I'm getting through it with the support of my family ... and pawtalk
Please, any advice will be appreciated, I'm worried
xxxx Luv you all xxxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10

Last edited by laydeerodentzz; 08-27-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Hello Earthling

Awww... if sounds like your having a hard time. Just hold on.I would take Pepper to the vet to get the thing checked out.

I hope the best for you and your ratties.Keep up updated. :hugs:

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Thanks, The soonest we can get Pepper to the vets is this saturday, so I've got two days to do what I can by myself.
I am trying to hold on lol... I look alright on the outside, but on the inside, there is just heartache.
Luv you and thanks for your support xxxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 06:24 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am sorry!
It sounds like it may be an abcess.
Good luck.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 06:25 PM
RAT ADDICT

OMG! I just noticed your only 13???
WOW! Your so mature for your age,I thought you were my age!

SORRY OFF TOPIC!

* Lisa *

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Hello Earthling

Your welcome if you need to talk PM me or we can talk on msn.

Ditto on van_rat. I thought you were much much older than 13.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

LOL, Thanks. Yeah... everyone seems suprised about my age, even some of my parents friends think I'm older... I think I must be Paw-talks baby in the family... but no ones ever noticed LOL
I still pay for all the rats stuff myself though, with my paper round, so the vet bills are all coming out of my money, which I save in an account to use for occations like this, but I don't mind because my animals are my life, my babies
>>Back on topic hehe<<
Okays, I was also wondering if it's okay to let Pepper out to play because it might irritate the wound, could I like, put something on it to make sure it doesn't get dirty? He also keeps itching it and licking it which I think might be making it sore, I know it sounds weird, but should I leave it open or should I put a small bandige on it?
Pics coming soon!
xxxxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

Last edited by laydeerodentzz; 08-28-2008 at 03:07 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Well! I just went upstairs and checked on Pepper and it seems that the thing is healing up... so it may have just been a very bad cut. The thing is that Pepper keeps scratching it, which means it's starting to open up again, so even though It's healing, should I still take him to the vet on saturday?
I'm worried that as Pepper scratches it, it's getting larger, should I cover it up to stop him doing that, or leave it to air?
xxxxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 10:25 AM
RAT ADDICT

Keep it clean and watch it.
Is it deep? If it is deep,take him to the vet.

He would probably chew the bandage off.But if your really worried about it,they make e-collars for rats,they are really small and while he won't like it,it can be used.

OFF TOPIC: And thats another reason I assumed you were older,since you buy everything and take them to the vet yourself and everything.When I was your age,my mom bought all my pet supplies and would never let me take a mouse or rat to the vet! However now that I do that,she doesn't see a problem with it...probably cause it is not her money being used.Hahaha...anyway I won't go off topic again!

* Lisa *

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Thanks Lisa! Yeah, I had to save up a lot to get my pets and my mum keeps saying how proud she is of me My mum works in the shop I do my paper round from and she is also manager of the post office in there, so I basically know everyone in the shop which is really good and I get my money easily, which I put into a PO account with my mum LOL, so when I need my money I can get it for the rats and Valentine, as I said I'd pay myself.
Peppers wound is more like a surface wound, it seemed deep at first, but it was just more that it was such a large opening. I don't think Pepper will need to go to the vets, I think that if I keep the wound clean than it should heal up fast like you said and I'll just keep an eye on it.
Thanks again
Luv ya xxxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I would take him to the vet unless you are absolutely positive that it is not an abscess. It sounded a lot like an abscess when you first described it, so it's a got me a bit worried. I hope he's ok!

Maureen

Six new rats
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Okays, I will have to see how it goes until tomorrow, than I'll decide. I was also sure it was a abcsess and my parents also said they didn't think it was just a cut. At the moment the wound looks dried out, a little scabby and the skin looks saw. The wound is still sort of open, however, like I said, it is all dried up. I only got one photo of when it was fresh.. and that's bad. I don't know if I'll beab;e to get any because he won't stay still and his fur is getting in the way. I'll try to get some up for you to look at asap.
Thanks for your advice
xxxxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

I have two photos. Both are not very good, but it might help.
One is when its fresh...
( I know it's bad, Look in the bottom right hand corner)

And this is about a day after, Look in the same place, but half way up, it like a line...

I'm sorry thats the best I could do, the light makes it look slightly different too.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 12:47 PM
Hello Earthling

Try using a desk lamp and turning the flash off you'll get a clearer picture.

Anyways I hope everything is going smoothly

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Thanks
Peppers wound is really not bad at all, it really is healing well, so I'm going to see how it goes before taking him to the vets, but thanks everyone for your help
xxx Lun you xxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

Tags
abcsess