Pepper is so clumsy..why? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Pepper is so clumsy..why?

I know I posted a thread about Pepper not so long ago and I know I worry to much, but it's my nature LOL...well especially when they are my babies

So, Pepper is being very clumsy and I don't know why!? By clumsy I mean he gets his footing wrong a lot of the time, trips, stumbles and he can't seem to balance properly? for example, I changed their cage around a bit so I could get the new ferret hammock in a week ago and to get out of it they have to climb onto the bars and go over the top of the tube. Everyone of them apart from Pepper can do that with no problems, Pepper slips and slides around when he gets to the tube and loses balence, sometimes landing on his side on the top level!
I'm getting a bit worried about him because I have the faintest idea of whats wrong, I mean, it's been 6 months now since I got him, so he is probebly around 7 months old from the age that I supposedly got them from, the thing is though, that I've almost convinced myself he is older than that because he has not really grown since I got him and the signs that he is showing and that I can only think of is old age, do you have any idea's why he is finding it hard to keep balance and control of himself? Occationally when he is out on me I have to be careful because he will fall head over heels, rolling down my back! I don't understand whats going on with him and I know I might be worrying to much, but I'm getting confused, if anyone has any hints or ideas, please share, they will be much appreciated!
x

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 04:33 AM
Will It Ever Change?

i think maybe a vet trip is in order so you can rule out ear issues. like us, rats need their ears for balance. if there's an infection, the balance is off.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

oh! I didn't know that! Thanks, I will keep an eye about that, but he does not have a head tilt?

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 06:04 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Balance issues can be caused by ear infections or even brain tumors. I think he should definitely go to the vet because we here cannot tell you all the things that might be causing it.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 06:10 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

That's what I was thinking too, is inner ear issues. Does he have red eyes by chance?

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

no, he does not have red eyes, just always has porophrine around them no matter what we do.
thanks for your help

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

could be a pituitary tumor...or one clumsy rat

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

how can I tell if it's a tumour?

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 09:30 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I don't think you can unless you take him to the vet

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur

Tags
ear infections