Pepper's not being Pepper... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Pepper's not being Pepper...

Okay, so, Pepper was one of my first rats. I was told that Pepper and Rayray were 8-9 weeks old when I got them and I did think it was rather perculiar that they were large, but I didn't think much of it because they were dumbo's and it was my first time picking rats out, even though I'd done loads of research. I now am finding it hard to beleive that Pepper and Rayray were as young as I was told because they have not seemed to have grown very much since I got them back in january and Pepper has always had porophrine around his eyes no matter what we do to keep him healthy; even when he was on antibiotics the porophrne didn't go.
Pepper also has just not seemed himself lately and I'm getting worried. Unlike all the others he does not accept treats, all he wants is me; if I offer him one he looks and sniffs it, but than he just looks back at me because he wants to come out non-stop and sometimes if I don't get him out he will make little noises at me and I know there's nothing wrong because there are no signs and he always does it in the same situation.
When I get him out he is so much more clumsy than he used to be and I have to be very careful becauce he trips up and stumbles around. He gets himself all happy when he is out with me, but as soon as he is back in the cage he looks all depressed and sad. He has been slightly different ever since we lost Rayray for 4 days, but that was a long time ago and just resently Pepper is going downhill. I'm really not sure whats going on with him!?
So, to try and help me keep an eye on the rats health, and perticually Peppers health, I decided to make a 'Rat record book' and basically I will weigh them once a week and do an over all health check for the week, including anything I might have noticed during their daily health check. I started today and weighed them all, I thought it would start with Husky and Arthur being the smallest wieght because they are only 10 weeks old and then Rayray and Pepper who are 6 months old, but it went like this...

Pepper: 335g, Husky: 345g, Arthur: 365g and Rayray: 405g

that means that Pepper is the lightest!! I am seriously worrying and was wondering if you might have any idea's as to whats going on? I'm confused and love Pepper to peices! He has my heart and it would hurt to much to loose him, maybe this calls for a visit to the vets, but the trouble is, he is not physically ill, so what can I do?

Thanks for reading all this, please help, thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10

Last edited by laydeerodentzz; 05-20-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

no one know?

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 04:15 AM
Aspires to Stupidity

Sorry, but I know almost nothing about any kind of rodents.

A lot of the regular members are from the States or Canada so most of them(me being one exception, I stay up until 6am, lol) are probably sleeping right now.

Wait until tomorrow and you should get a few replies from experienced rat owners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 04:31 AM
Will It Ever Change?

aww hun, i know you love them but you worry! lol im the same if pepper is still eating and drinking, aside from treats, he's likely okay. my timmy has also always had porphorin, also males produce "buck grease" which is on their backs and an orangey colour. he's gotten over the UTI issue right? he could still be recouping from that. little animal illness hits them hard and takes a good while to clear. my timmy is also lazy and always wants me, but he also takes treats so that doesn't help. maybe you're offering a treat when he's full? nah....rats and food hmmm....lol. think as i may, all i can conjure up is monitor his weight since you're able to, and see what happens over the next few days. *hugs*

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Hun,
Maybe phone the vets and get some info from them like talk to someone on the fone a vet or nurse and see what they make of it?
Its worth a try like mulder says We all worry but hes probs just going threw a little stage hope he feels better soon xx

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

when rats show signs of a serious illness it becomes almost too late..I say go to the vet..maybe something can be found and treated early

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

thanks everyone for your help!
yeah, I think that he will be fine, but I'm still very concerned about his weight.
When I was speaking to my mum about it she mentioned that she thinks he could be diabetic because he drinks lots and lots and I do know that that is one of the signs, is this possible? Maybe I'm not giving him the right food if he is?
Sorry about my worrying, I'm always so dramatic LOL, yeah, I think it comes natarally, after all, they are my babies LOL
Thanks again, I'll see how it goes
BTW: What do you think about the rat Rocord book thingy I'm doing, Is it a good idea?

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties