Photos! A "personal" problem with Al. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

A "personal" problem with Al.

For the past few days I've noticed that Al's penis is sticking out and it doesn't go back in. I can't find anything online about this, so I don't know if its a problem, or if maybe he is just maturing and its erect??? I have no idea. Its not stuck, it comes out farther, but it just won't go in. Could it be too big for his body??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 06:40 PM

Uhm actually I heard about this. He doesnt have anything stuck around it maybe further down? You can try a little vitamin E oil to lubricate it back in *snicker*. Wont harm him and should help I think.

If it get any redder (it looks redder than normal is all) id be going to a vet though, its not really good for boys to have their soft parts out...>_>
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

I'll go look, but I didn't see anything stuck on or around it. I'll try massaging it back in.. as wrong as that sounds...lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Maybe the skin that is supposed to cover it is too short? There's nothing on his actual penis. It looks purple and swollen though. Not sure if that is normal either...
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Eek-that doesn't sound normal, but I am certainly no expert!! Maybe you should talk to a vet about it. If you call and discuss it over the phone, they may be able to help without actually seeing him.

Mandy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Part of the Pack

Definitely not good. The problem is called paraphimosis, and is dangerous. You need to lube it up with some Triple Antibiotic Cream (like Neosporin) and ease it back in. I had this happen and also couldn't find any information on the problem until it was too late for my boy. I lost mine from shock. What happens is the sheath opening is too small, so the penis extends and cannot retract. Since it's so tight, it cuts off the circulation, sometimes killing the tissue - but the main problem is that he can't urinate. Watch it closely and keep it lubed if it gets stuck again. The best thing to do is to pull it out slightly and rub the neosporin into the entire exposed surface so it can receed normally.

Here's an excellent article on it:

http://ratguide.com/health/reproduct...raphimosis.php

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Oh no... Thank you so much for the information. I'm going to go try this now. I hope it isn't reoccurring. Poor little guy.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 10:46 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I had a rat with this problem. He was about 3 months old. I manipulated it back in once, but it recurred and was worse. He took some anti-inflammatory meds and some antibiotics and that fixed him right up and I never had a problem with it for the rest of his life (2 years).

Here is a link to the thread I made at the time:
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f16/m...ems-42606.html

Maureen

Six new rats
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Okay, I retracted his skin and cleansed his penis with some dog shampoo, because there was some urine crusted around it. And I used Neosporin to lube it up and I got it back in. But it does look like the skin is just too small to cover his privates normally. He must not be in any pain from it yet, because he laid very very still on his back while my husband held him so I could work it back in. I put him in a cage alone so I could keep a close eye on him. And he started cleaning the area. But it didn't come back out. I'll watch him very closely. Thank you so much. And Im so sorry that you lost your boy from this same thing.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

If it looks like his skin won't cover it all it's probably because there is swelling from being stuck outside. He needs veterinary attention. I know it's late so until you can get him to the doctor you can keep trying to manipulate it back in. I would not try to clean it anymore as that may irritate and cause more swelling. As mentioned in my thread, a sterile lubricant such as KY Jelly would be good for trying to get it back in.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

This is what I figured, so I just called my vet and left a message, so I can bring him straight in in the morning. Although I dont really trust my vet at this point, but I don't see any other options. I won't let them perform any surgery on him, if they suggest that, I am going to have it done at a different vet.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 03:15 AM

Tell us how it goes, GOODLUCK! lol...
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 05:55 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

I had Paraphimosis happen with my wee man who had recently been neutered...the swelling pushed his Little Man out *looks around for children*.

There's all sorts of things you can do, but the MOST important thing is to keep his penis lubricated. If it dries out, it will crack and infection will set it. I used ointment, metacam (anti-inflammatory), sugar (to draw serum out of swollen tissue), you can try ice packs, then you carefully wheedle it back in, by pulling the sheath back and then using your fingers on the outside try to encourage it back inside. You also may want to put him in a carrier with white paper towel to make sure he is still able to urinate.

this is Goli's story with rude pics.
http://www.jorats.com/forum/viewtopi...p=61913#p61913

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

I'm really really really angry right now. I wake up early to take him to the vet, and my husband says I cannot take him. His privates were out again this morning, so I repeated the neosporin process. I'm worried about him getting an infection. But I can't take him in... I have to listen to my husband because he's the one that pays for everything. I don't know what to do, I just hope this doesn't get serious.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Adolescent Pup

can't you pay for the vet visit? it sounds like he really needs to see the vets asap

Pet's name: Candy

Pet's name: Lilly Bud
Pet's name:
Baby
Pet's name: Pinkie
Pet's name: Lilly Pad