Pet Rat Health Problems (Help) New Owner - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Pet Rat Health Problems (Help) New Owner

Just got over ringworm treatment from the vet. Now when I was feeding my boys I let them crawl on my arms as I fed them. Very soon I felt itchy. Looked down and had small raised bumps on my arm . Put bleach on it which is what i did for the ringworm I caught from them. Burned really badly. Wondering what is going on, mites, some other parasite, etc? Anyone deal with this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 12:07 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I am not sure if the bumps have anything to do with the ringworm because getting some itchy bumps on your hands and arms after your ratties have been on you is pretty common. Their little toenails can cause tiny scratches that can itch and cause little bumps to raise on your skin. That was a common occurence with my two ratty boys. It is a slight allergic reaction of some kind and I have seen other rat people talk about it. After my boys were done with their play session with Mom (me) I would see little warm red bumps that itched on my hands and forearms. I would just wash my hands and forearms with some warm water and antibacterial soap and the irritation would go away quickly. I am not sure that the ringworm thing has anything to do with this though. Unless someone else has an opinion on this?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

You caught ringworm from your rats? Ok this happens, how did you treat the ringworm on your rats and on yourself? Did you dilute the bleach for your own treatment? You may be having an allergic reaction to them and just have little welts from the scratches from their claws...would explain the burning.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Last edited by lilspaz68; 01-03-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 09:31 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yep, this happens to lots of people, myself included. It's an allergic reaction to their urine. When they crawl on your and scratch you (by accident) with their toenails, the urine can seep into the scratches and irritate your skin, thus producing the raised, itchy welts. Just wash off well with soap and water each time after you hold them. It won't stop it from happening, but washing after each time is just a good habit to get into anyway.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 08:10 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by breyer08 View Post
Yep, this happens to lots of people, myself included. It's an allergic reaction to their urine. When they crawl on your and scratch you (by accident) with their toenails, the urine can seep into the scratches and irritate your skin, thus producing the raised, itchy welts. Just wash off well with soap and water each time after you hold them. It won't stop it from happening, but washing after each time is just a good habit to get into anyway.
I used to welt up, but just like with allergy shots, I slowly became immune...now I am surprised when I do welt up LOL

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Sorry, had a death in the family.Urine. Ok, I have a single male. Who I have never had a reaction with. I now have two baby boys and ever time they touch me I break out. Could be the urine, because they hate being held. So I try to lure them out with bread. They will get on my hand grab the bread and run. After weeks no progress. So I started trying to hold them. They go crazy and scratch me up. I cant let them go until I get them in the cage, and I dont want to drop them so I try to forcibly hold them until I get them to their cage. Never had a baby my adult was very tame when I got him.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 08:13 AM
Playful Pup

I agree that its allergic reaction,, I looked it up before I got rats and I was expecting it since my skin has reactions to EVERYTHING but it never happend to me,, I have had ring worm and that dosen't happen immediately, it took a couple days to pop up, the ring worm is usually more like an open sore, its gooey and usually in a perfect circle.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 08:40 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Babies have little razor sharp claws and they don't have the experience of an older quieter rat and dig those claws in all the time. Some rats are gentle when they grip, others leave huuuuge scratches. Don't use bleach when you welt up, soap and water or even rinsing the scratches in cool water for a second will help.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Tags
health, mites, rats