pet rat with knot - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2003, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

Unhappy pet rat with knot

there is a knot like thing on the side of sammy's neck right below the side of his mouth. i have dealed with tumars before but i have never seen one so hard and (seems) attached to the skin. i am worried that if i gets bigger it will effect his eating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2003, 10:30 PM
Incubator Cricket Killer

Hi Manda, I know you said you've dealt with tumors before (are there any rat owners that haven't ) but it still sounds like it might be a tumor to me, there are 2 different kinds, fatty ones that are a big lump under the fur that doesn't feel firmly attached, and knot like ones that are very definetly attached. It could also be some sort of cyst or something. Probably the only way you'll find out for certain is to take him into a vet and have it removed or biopsied.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2003, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

... i hope it doesnt cost much to get it removed. dad wouldnt go fo r that. i would feel really bad too if it gets so big he cant eat, and i could had tooken him to the vet and it wouldnt be that way. but i just know dad is gonna ****! how much do you think this will cost. i better start saving now, or get me a job. i am not going to leave sammy untreated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

were can i learn some about cyst. i have no idea what they are, and cant find anything online to help me
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 01:24 AM
Incubator Cricket Killer

I'll see what I can find for you on cysts and tumors. It is going to cost alot to have him treated either way though

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 02:27 AM
Incubator Cricket Killer

Ok, when I said cyst, I was thinking of an abcess, sorry 'bout that. I found a couple good articles, one on tumors and one on abcesses. I hope this helps you out some. I just lost both of my girl rats recently to tumors, I know it's tough.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

i cant do that, and i feel really bad. i dont want to have him not treated, but i dont see any other option.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 03:14 PM
Checks Out PD 'Cheeky Bits'!

The longer it is left the worse it will be for your rat, there is no way round this, you do need to visit a vet. Maybe you could ask a vet if you could pay a small amount each week or offer to work free for a month or two at the vets? If you are relying on your father for money and you know it isn't forth-coming, then get down on your bended knees and beg..bit extreme, yes, but the welfare of your pet rat is at stake. Could you not borrow the money from your father and pay him back each week out of your allowance (if you get one)?

I'm not meaning to be harsh, just realistic and I hope you do get something sorted and wish you luck!

Wendy
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

yeah, your right. i have to do somthing. its not sammy's fault he has a knot thing
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 08:04 PM
Incubator Cricket Killer

I made the mistake of leaving one of my girls untreated because I couldn't afford it and I could not bring myself to have her put down.. It was the most awful thing I've ever done and I don't think I'll ever forgive myself It was terrible. If you can't afford to have your rat get the proper treatment (Wendy had some good suggestions to try!) you might consider having him put to sleep. I know it sounds terrible, but if it's that or leave it how it is, you'll both be better off. I really wish I had some other answer...

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

no, i cant put him down. i have to work something out with the vet. i am still thinking about leaving it as is. i know i shouldnt
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 03:15 AM
Checks Out PD 'Cheeky Bits'!

Quote:
Originally posted by mandapanda
no, i cant put him down. i have to work something out with the vet. i am still thinking about leaving it as is. i know i shouldnt
Why are you thinking of leaving it the way it is, you're responsible for that animal, if it turns out to be a tumour, it will grow and your rat will suffer and then eventually die, suffering. Is this what you want? The sooner you visit a vet the sooner you get clarification on the best way to deal with what's ailing your rat.

Wendy
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

yeah wendy i know i should really get him to the vet. the pricess are outrageous! maybe i can work somthing out with the vet. but my dad wouldnt even consider driving me to the vet for that. yeah, i know he is my responsibility. but what can i do. im not puting him down! and taking him to the vet seems unreasonable to my father. i dont know what im gonna do about it. i have had a rat with tumors that i never took to the vet, and she died of old age! yeah she had tumors but wasnt suffering. she would play, and eat and be just like the rest of the rats.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

i cant afford it! and i defintally cant put him down. im not even going to consider having him put down
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2003, 05:32 AM
Incubator Cricket Killer

With my one rat that I let go w/o treatment, I kept telling myself that she was just fine, not in pain or anything because she was acting and eating normally, but once you accept that, every small step worse is justifiable because it's so gradual you don't really notice. I won't try to force you to go to the vet or anything (your pet, your money, your choice), I am just saying in the majority of cases your rat WILL suffer.

Tags
bear hamster, cage mate, vet care