Pet stores? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Pet stores?

So I know that buying animals from most pet stores is bad.
I got my jack russel from one before i knew exactly how bad they were.
But where am i suppose to get hamsters, rats, ferrets, gerbils.. basically any rodents if i dont buy them from a pet store?
We dont have a small animal rescue near me.
I've bought bunnies, rats, ferrets, gerbils, hamsters and mice from pet stores, because i just dont know where else i would get them, and i figured theyd be better living with me than a pet store..
Anyone know?
I mean i would look it up, but ive found nothing.. so far.
I am in Frankfort, kentucky if you were wondering.

~Mommy of~

Sasha - gsd/whatever - R.I.P Feb, 23, 2010 <3
Bella -Wolf/Rot/GSD
Rhiley - Rot/Lab
Roxxi - Rot/Lab
Gracey - Jack Russel.
The cats - - Maddie, Cloud, Abby, Spawn, Snuggles, Sassy, Tigger, Marley, Sid Vicious, and Jasmine [3 Healthy Kittens.]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 03:31 PM
the rodent lover&lt;3

Theres no rescues nearby either. We got our rabbit (aswell as our other animals) from a pet store, but Sunny had a previous owner, so I guess it's like adopting? They turned her into the store because they couldn't care for her.

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

What about animals that need new homes? If I look on craigslist for my area, I can find tons of animals of every species who need new homes. I got one of my rabbits from a lady who posted on Craigslist looking for a new home for him.

What about breeders? I believe responsible breeders are better than pet stores (not BYB's though). It can be hard to find a good one, but there are people who breed small animals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Craigslist is a great source, as mentioned. Also petfinder.com is good.
http://www.petfinder.com/search/sear...rankfort%2C+ky

There's not always every type of animal for certain areas but it's worth waiting for and doing the work if you want to help by not supporting pet store animal sales.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well like i said, i got my JRT from one that wasnt TOO bad.. i dont exactly know what the deal is with that pet store, but ive gotten mice ferrets rabbits gerbils hamsters and guinea pigs from there. - i dont know if i want to get another small animal because i have cats, and theyre buttfaces.. but i am thinking about it.. if not a rodent then a bird.. - i also may be moving into an apartment soon so thats a factor there as well

~Mommy of~

Bella -Wolf/Rot/GSD
Rhiley - Rot/Lab
Roxxi - Rot/Lab
Gracey - Jack Russel.
The cats - - Maddie, Cloud, Abby, Spawn, Snuggles, Sassy, Tigger, Marley, Sid Vicious, and Jasmine [3 Healthy Kittens.]
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 08:58 PM
RAT ADDICT

Local classifieds like Kijiji or Craigslist as mentioned.I got some of my animals from sites like that.Or seek out reputable breeders or rescues.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 06:24 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Also, keep an eye out on forums like this. There's always 'oops' litters members are needing homes for. And on the up side, if it comes from here, you know you'll be getting a baby who's well socialized.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 06:36 AM
Curmudgeon

I diasgree.

I don't think buying from a pet store is necessarily a bad thing. Granted, there may be better options available, but not always.

I'm not an advocate of the big pet store chains, but some of the smaller "mom and pop" type stores are great places to buy from, work at, ...or just hang out in.

I have a friend who runs a great pet store. He only deals in captive bred animals, and most from local breeders. He's ethical and almost all the keepers I know from the nearby (AZA accredited) zoo sell the animals they produce to him, and they buy supplies from him.

He's also a big supporter of the local Herp Club and local charities.

You may have to look for a good store, they may not be close, or obvious, but I'd rather buy from a store like that, than most breeders I know.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 08:10 AM
Official Loofah Tester

I guess I've not had good luck with local pet stores. There's one here that is a horror show, complete with dark dank labyrinthine passageways made up of hundreds of filthy tanks and ragged looking exotics rumored to be obtained wild caught through the black market. It's the kind of place where any products you purchase for your pets would have to be hosed down with bleach to get the layer of dust, hair, and oil off of the package once you got it home. The owner even looks like a bad parody cross between a sleazy smut peddler and a biker. I've complained through official channels but it doesn't seem to be doing any good. Our local law doesn't put high value on animal welfare, especially since he donates so much money to community.

But, if it's a responsible mom and pop operation who takes care of their stock, and gets the stock through non-mill legal sources....sure, there'd be no problem.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

My jack russel was from an oops litter that someone gave to the pet store to sell.
I dont go there anymore because when they started out, they had several cats in a TINY cage.. Really thats the worse I've seen, and i am pretty thankful for it.
There was one really good petshop called Pets Only that took cats and puppies from shelters and sold them at a very reduced price i believe
i dont remember much because they closed
but my friends worked there in highschool and it was a pretty decent store.

~Mommy of~

Bella -Wolf/Rot/GSD
Rhiley - Rot/Lab
Roxxi - Rot/Lab
Gracey - Jack Russel.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:22 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala View Post
I'm not an advocate of the big pet store chains, but some of the smaller "mom and pop" type stores are great places to buy from, work at, ...or just hang out in.
This is how I am.I do not support the large chain pet stores at all.But I do know a couple of decent stores.One is run by a reputable dog breeder/trainer/groomer who often donates things to Beagle Paws.He don't sell dogs or cats (unless someone drops off accidental litters...but normally he don't sell them.Only one time I was in there did they have kittens).They don't have many animals at all and what I seen,cages/tanks were clean and not crowded.The owner is a really nice guy.

There is another store I go to thats decent,also do not sell puppies or kittens unless someone drops them off and they also don't have them much.I have seen kittens there quite a few times,but puppies are rare.I know the manager and she is a good person who knows about animals.I have known her for years now,since she was just an employee (before she got her manager status).

So I know not ALL stores are bad.But the majority are.And the big chains like "Petco",Petland","Petsmart","Pets Unlimited"...etc,etc are usually horrible.The only big chain store franchise we have is "Pets Unlimited" and I have boycotted them long ago...they have mill dogs and cats,sick and dying animals galore (I call the store "Death Unlimited")...etc,etc.I have witnessed some disturbing things in that store.There are two of these stores here.The SPCA had been called numerous times,but I have no idea why the store has not been closed.The SPCA seized potbelly pigs from the stores! But they cannot get the store closed.

So all in all I know not all pet stores are bad.But many are,you have to pretty much search around.But there are also sketcy breeders (BYB's,mills...etc) and also sketchy rescues/shelters.Just because someone runs a rescue or shelter,does not make them angels!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Rodentologist

If there is a small animal rescue anywhere in your state, that's your best bet. We're in NC and we adopt out all over NC and SC, and even some parts of GA. There are always a ton of homeless animals and we travel a long way to find a good home that can provide for them.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I remember reading about one, but they only had a smaaaaall selection so when i called in there, they had already been adopted.
So i thought "good for them"
and now i cant remember the name of the place or where it was
maybe cynthiana

~Mommy of~

Bella -Wolf/Rot/GSD
Rhiley - Rot/Lab
Roxxi - Rot/Lab
Gracey - Jack Russel.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Rodentologist

Sometimes when you want to save a life instead of supporting small animal mills you have to wait for the particular kind of animal that you want.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yeah.
I havent had much luck with bunnies, the last one i bought was obviously sick when i got her because i had her for a week or so..
and she died in my arms.. her nose was bleeding and she couldnt move.. she just went limp
Thats when i told myself i wasnt going to buy from pet stores anymore.
Poor Poor Satine <3
I dont think we have many small animal breeders around here. - i will look it up.. but i dont like craigslist that much, some of them show these beautiful pictures of puppies then you get there and the puppies arent purebred like they claimed, arent well fed.. etc.
and you feel awful for even talking to that person

~Mommy of~

Bella -Wolf/Rot/GSD
Rhiley - Rot/Lab
Roxxi - Rot/Lab
Gracey - Jack Russel.