Photo Memorial: Klausse and Wolfgang Have Left Us - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Photo Memorial: Klausse and Wolfgang Have Left Us

Well, this is a very hard post to write as Marc and I still cannot believe it, but both of my sweet boys have left us. I know many of you have gone through a similar experience so I know you will understand how horrific this is for us.

My boys were doing great, as usual, and when they both starting making some funny sounds, we got them on meds right away from their vet, and all was going well, when Klausse took a turn for the worse, and after a night on oxygen at the emergency animal hospital and several desperate attempts to help him with injections and more meds, the doctors told us his lungs were simply failing and he was not going to pull out of this.

It was mycoplasmosis. Marc and I have never gone through the experience of losing a rat before and it simply devastated us. We went over every detail of their housing, bedding, nutrition, environment, and everything with several of the doctors and small animal surgeons and they said there was nothing at all that we were doing wrong, that we were doing everything perfect...it just happens, and unfortunately, it happened at such an early age.

Klausse was just 14 months old. We were still trying to get over the grief, the crying and bawling about losing our sweet boy, and I had just picked up his ashes and his plaster footprint from the hospital, and then Wolfgang got very bad overnight.

We were giving him tons of attention and love, 24/7, but he went from perky, happy and playing, eating, no problems, then BAM, one night we knew something was not right with him. Immediately back to the hospital, another night on oxygen, and injections/antibiotics, etc, and the same thing, exactly like Klausse. He was suffering and nothing could help him. He got the myco from his brother of course.

The minute I took him out of his oxygen tank/housing to hold him, he got instantly worse. We got to hold and kiss each of them one last time, and we were with the doctor and nurse for both of them when they were put to sleep, stroking them, kissing them, and telling them how much we loved them, even though they were already asleep from the gas, so they would not feel the shot. We knew both times that our boys were suffering and miserable with little to no chance to come out of this, and we could not stand it. I was happy for my boys that they could sleep and be out of pain, but for Marc and myself, it was just a horrendous loss.

It hurts so much. It is like a hard brick smashed right in our faces. Our guts feel ripped out. We loved them SO much.

Klausse left us on Sept. 18th, and his brother Wolfgang left us on Sept. 29th, just 11 days after his brother. I am now waiting to get Wolfie's ashes and footprint cast back from the hospital.

I just can't put into words how this feels, and the huge sense of loss. We have an empty nest now and house feels so...quiet. They were SO integrated into every aspect of our daily lives and routines. I was so fulfilled being a ratty mommy to my two boys and I loved every minute of it. I am remembering our family mornings in bed, me, Marc and the two boys, running around on mom and dad under the blankets. Feeling their soft, warm fur, the weight of them in my hands, getting licky kisses, and all the rest. So many wonderful things.

We have to think of them as always being here with us and keep them with us spiritually and try to be cheerful and remember that they are both in the happy ratty place, having lots of fun and being together. But it is SO hard for Marc and I. We are still going over and over it and saying how unfair it is that this happened to my sweet boys so soon and so fast.

In any case, I wanted to share some photos with you of my beautiful babies that gave us so much happiness. Showing off my sweeties one last time. Thank you for being here on the forum for us. It is a comforting place to go to. I will post pictures later of their memorial table I am setting up where their house was. And to Breyer, my special rat mom friend, thank you for being there for me.

One of the first photos we ever took of our boys, when they were wee lads, the first week we had them. Look at that tummy and those big feet.

Wolfgang and Klausse at 4 months. My wee little babies. So cheerful. My cutie agouti and my beautiful Blue.

Klausse as a baby. What a lovey dove he was. He was our licky, kissy boy right from the start. Always in the mood to give and receive love.

Wolfgang, aka Wolfie, getting one of his favorite sleeve rides, in the "Starship Blue Shirt!" We called him Joey in a Pouch.
He was our little Scrappy Doo.

Klausse with his animal friends, getting love from Daddy.

My boys enjoying their playground, when they were still small enough not to climb out of the kiddie pool.

Klausse's favorite activity..getting loved by his favorite person, my husband. I tried not to be jealous!

Me, with my two sweet boys. Every day was pure joy with them. I loved being their Mommy so much.

Our absolute favorite picture of the boys, in their happy tub. Their smiling faces just touch our souls. This was taken only a few weeks before they left us. You will always be with us, my sweet babies, every day. We love you SO much.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.

Last edited by Vladina; 10-04-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

P.S. on my post....there was never a solid theory on why Wolfgang seemed to be doing so well after Klausse left us, then suddenly he got really bad overnight, and so quickly, but from our discussions with the small animal doctors at the hospital, it could have been the myco incubating in his system and then showing itself with a vengeance, and I wondered if Wolfgang's immune system could have suffered due to being sad without his brother, despite our attempts to interact with him as much as possible and take him out constantly to play and get love. There may never be a yes or no answer to this.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Oh, Vlad, I am heartbroken for you. What sweet, beautiful boys. I loved seeing them again, and watching them grow up. They were so loved and they knew it, and they had a great life. Rest in peace, Wolfgang and Klausse.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Thanks so much Breyer, it feels so good to hear from other people who know what it is like to love your ratty babies so much. I am very glad you enjoyed the pictures and it made me feel good posting them too, even though I cried while I was doing it. You are a good friend.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your posts on here showed that you loved your boys very much. I'm sorry they had to go so suddenly.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Thanks so much Becrac, it is nice to hear that. I appreciate your post.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I am so sorry for your loss vladina. You seemed to me like the most loving couple towards your boy ratties. I can't believe they're gone.
This really tugs at my heart and I send you all the positive vibes in the world to help you in this sad time.
RIP beautiful little boys, you could not have been loved more.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh Dustette, thank you so much for your kind words. My husband and I just read your post and we both teared up.
We keep saying that same thing you said, "We could not have loved them more". Thanks again. I am so glad we have this forum. It really means so much.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Newborn Pup

I'm so sorry for your loss. I have just experienced a loss myself, and it's so hard. Your boys obviously had a great life, you did everything you could. R.I.P
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Thank you Cob, it is always comforting to know that other rat parents have been through this and know how it feels.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 11:59 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I am so sorry for your loss, Vlad. I too know what it's like to lose ones furry children, just keep in mind you will meet your boys again.

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Thanks Ozzy, yes, it helps to remember that we will see our boys again someday. It helps a lot!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Vladina I'm very sorry for your loss, you're in our thoughts today. Your boys were very loved little fellows and very lucky.

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Thank you so much Tweedle...when we get things like this posted from fellow rat parents, it really makes us feel like we are not in this alone. That is a huge help. I appreciate your condolences very much.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Official Loofah Tester

I haven't been around for a bit, and it is so very sad to come back to this announcement. Klausse and Wolfgang were two very special heart rats, not just for you but for many other folks on the board. For me, Klausse was the russian blue I almost but didn't have, so licky and gorgeous, and Wolfgang spoiled me for agouti's, he was so bright and beautiful.

I don't know if anyone could read about your rat story, from the day they came home, to the day you said goodbye and not see how wonderful rats are.

To Wolfgang and Klausse, two special little big men.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.