Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
5K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  lilspaz68 
#1 ·
These are probably as good as I'll get with a disposable camera

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
well im glad your happy, im sure your pig isnt.

Im not going to argue with you, your selfish and now your pig has to suffer. 95% of the time pigs will get along with other pigs, they rarely fight. Its not like its too late you could get him a friend, or give him to someone that will get him one.

#30 ·
Some circumstances...

I started out with a single rat, it was because if I hadn't taken her she would have been tortured in some lab or sent to some place to become snake food. I wanted to save more but could only sneak out one. Note: my father absolutley abhorrs rodents of any kind - I had to hide her for a month. When he discovered I had one I had to literally put my foot down and tell him that I wasn't going to send this rat to it's death. When he gave in and realized that my rat wasn't anything like the rats in the wild or on tv - it was easier to talk him into other ones. Look at it this way, while california girl wasn't able to rescue two rats from being snake food, at least she rescued one. As rat lovers we all would like to think that those adorable little rats in their cages were going to good homes..but reality is - rats have a bad rap to begin with (which really miffs me sometimes because it's totally untrue) and most go home with people who own large snakes. It's really grotesque in my opinion.

California girls rat will live for a while longer - I'm sure her father will eventually give in and let her get another one when he sees what kind of wonderful, intelligent creatures they are. (let's hope at least...) ;)

#31 ·
im sure my guinea pig IS happy, or atleast happy as anywhere else.im not selfish and are very offended by this remark,its not my fault he was left alone at the store.if i get another guinea pig for him and it doesnt work out between them, then i will have to have 2 guinea pigs living alone and i dont have the room,who knows what would have happened if i left him,95% of guinea pigs might get along in your eyes, but what if he was the other 5%?i still stand by my discision to home him alone and its not cruel at all,hes not showed any signes of unhappiness or upset,he is happy living alone, just like many other pets are, im sure the rat that lives alone is just as happy and the owners im certain will take good care of the rat.they dont "NEED" to be housed in pairs or groups, just better for them if you cannot give them lots and lots of attension, i know it doesnt make up for another guinea pig but its the next best thing.i know i can take of him, so thats why i got him, i give him a good home, and a good life!

#33 ·
i have done lots of research about my guinea pig thank you very much, i know a lot of info,same goes for all my other pets, sometimes curcamstances change things.to be honest, i wished i never posted about my piggy, this topic if firstly about the rat and secondary my guinea pig has lived happily for years and no problems what so ever,to be trueful, im not liking many peoples attutude on this forum, people have too good an idea about pets and think they live in the perfect world, well wake up, you dont! sometimes you have to do the best you can, and thats what i did.

#34 ·
Im sure you love your pig very much, But the comment where you said, they should be kept in pairs if you cant give them enough attention that isnt true. Im sure you take very good care of your g. pig, but you cant be with him ALL the time. You should try to introduce another pig to him if he dosnt get along with it then try to rehome him. they do NEED to be kept in pair or they WILL get depressed.

#35 ·
so what ur saying is i should go out and buy another guinea pig, try to house them together, if it works...great, if it doesnt, scrap that guinea pig and try again? how many piggys should i go thought and stress them out untill i find a match?what if i dont find a match? what then, hes been very happy for ages now, and im ****ed if im going to maybe spoil that just to get another piggy. im awear your not happy with it, but tuff, somethings cant be helped, they are hundreds of guinea pigs housed alone that are happy,

#37 ·
how about we not pick on scott so much, he will do what he will do.if at the moment he can only have one, so be it.

the point of this forum is to be a bit more understanding and not closed minded

#41 ·
how do you know if it would get on with another guinea pig? it has the best life i can give it, and without being stuck up, i give it a very good life. they dont NEED to be in pairs, people dont always live in pairs do they? would a happy guinea pig run around his cage allday being very active, eating correctly and not being shy or depressed? hes healthy as the vets checked him out and to be honest, ive had two guinea pigs in the past and they havent been as tame as this one, he had regular handling and always being noticed when someone walks into the room. i once gave him a stuffed guinea pig fo him to play with and he ignored it compleatly shoving it out of the way and peeing all over it, i removed it a while ago and its safe to say he doesnt miss it, hes happy playing with his other toys and chews.atleast my guinea pig hasnt become a pet left in the corner of a room in a crappy cage, with little food and water, mine is a well loved pet that IS happy and healthy.debate closed.

#45 ·
For anyone curious and following the guineapig story ;), my friend runs a guinea pig rescue and I am learning soo much from her, including the fact that most male pigs are absolutely amazing when you intro a baby boy pig to them. You can literally just plunk them in the same cage...no bathtub intro's with vanilla, cageswapping like with rats...*dreams* :hmm:

I prefer that rats live with companions as well, but if circumstances dictate that this can't happen, then you have to make sure that the lone rat has a big cage with a lot of mental enrichment in its life, and a lot of Out time and playtime with their human....
I have 2 lone older girls who cannot go with other rats and they are my first priority after my sickies/oldies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.