Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
5K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  lilspaz68 
#1 ·
These are probably as good as I'll get with a disposable camera

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
rodentz said:
cute! your rat should really have friends tho.
Yea I know, my dad said I could only have one, so when I got her I thought she was a boy. Thats why I named her Sherlock, after I found out she was a girl I just kept the name. :)

#12 ·
Lovely family you have there!

Awwww! I agree, a ratty is a very social creature. You should definitely find her a friend. (I thought I heard that rats didn't get along w/mice...you might want to keep an eye when they hang out) I remember when I saved my first one from an uncertain end at college. She was my lab partner for a semester...I discovered that those that weren't adopted out were terminated or sold to shops for snake food..how awful! There was no way my lab friend, who bested all the other rats in her trials, was going to become snake food. So I snuck her home. (and kept her presence hidden from my father for all about a month..by the time he figured it out he couldn't do anything so I got to keep her) Anywho, Riddy Rat (riddy for short) was my sole baby for about a year when I read that ratties need a companion. Hence, I found myself at a pet store - casually asking the clerk if they were all girls in the tank (she said yes) I found this beautiful blue-grey spotted female who became Ricketts. They got along brilliantly, and both lived to a ripe old age of five and six.

On a funnier note - about three weeks after Ricketts joined our happy family I discovered something odd in the cage. I pile of little pink squirming thingys. It was really odd, because they were both females. :confused: Now, I don't know about you, but I thought that there was NO way to mistake a male from a female when dealing w/rats, (lol) Apparently I had the luck of discovering the only pet store owner in the world who couldn't. :rolleyes:

#14 ·
When I went to the store to by a rat, I wanted a large male, but they cost $10 and my dad wanted me to get a small $4 one. I thought the cage I got her from was all males, turns out they have small rats of both genders, I suspected she was a girl because she is so active, I'm glad she never got pregnant at the store :). She dosent hang out with my mice-shes killed 4 of them, but thats another story. I give her all the attention I can, I know I cant substitute for another rat, but its the best I can do at the moment.

#17 ·
are your mice just living in that box-thing in the first pic? dont they just climb down and go all over the house, it looks cool but i dont think i would trust any mice i had to live on a table top with out escaping.looks a good set-up though. your rat looks fine, i know they are suppose to be in groups but i understand how parent will only let you get one, i only have one guinea pig for roughly the same reason, but to be honest, you should have been more careful about rats and mice. its known that rats kill mice and its just a shame those mice dies that way, but whats done is done, learn from your mistakes.

#20 ·
rodentz said:
Well no wonder youre rat killed them! rats prey on smaller animals. You should have done more research BEFORE you got her! now shes living all alone and has killed some of your mice. those poor mice! and rat!
I didnt put the rat and mice together on purpose. What happended was when I first got her I kept her in a large storage bin without a top because I thought she wouldnt jump out ( this was at least 7 months ago), when she got used to her surroundings she started escaping, at the same time I had just separated a litter of mice. A few escaped because the bars were not close together enough. That is how she got them, I would NEVER put them together without doing research.

#22 ·
i was planning to get a rabbit and guinea pig to live together but after plenty of research into the matter, decided against it, my 2 level hutch was going to be given all to my rabbit but at the pet shop they only had one guinea pig left in a cage on him own so my dad said i could get him and a rabbit, so i did and now my guinea pig lives happily on his own, getting plenty of attension daily. atleast hes in a loving home on his own rarther than being stuck in a cage at the pet shop on his own?

#24 ·
thats why i decided against a bunny and guinea pig living together, whould you rather my guinea pig had been left at the petshop for god know who to take him? atleast i will give my piggy the most love and attension anybody could give him,i didnt make him live alone, the petshop did.and in my opinion, i was being responsible and looking after the GP, atleast its got a permant home now.

#26 ·
introducing two guinea pig together isnt always sucessful and might have left him injured and still alone, and besides i could have left him their and someone else would have bought him on his own.to be honest, im not really bothered what you think, i made my dicision at that time and i dont regret it, hes turned out to be a lovely and very tame guinea pig, yeah sure having 2 guinea pigs might be better, but its a bit late now, whats done is done and like i said, im happy with the choice i made.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.