Photos! Pictures (not so good pictures) but pictures none the less - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Pictures (not so good pictures) but pictures none the less

I had my 4 girls out today for cage cleaning, socializing and dog training. I figured that would be a good time to take pictures. I was a bit wrong. The pictures are not so great but at least now I have pictures of my new solid black girl.

I've had the three 'hooded' (correct me if i'm labeling them wrong) ones for two and a half weeks.

The solid black one I got this weekend.

The black and tan hooded rats got along and snuggled together since day one. The grey one was sort of alone. When I brought home the solid black one, the grey and black one instantly started grooming each other and snuggling.

None of them have names yet that is why I'm referring to them by color.

Also: anyone have any ideas why the black and white one is the only rat that will go between levels? The tan stays at the top and the grey and solid black stay in the middle. My Black and white girl seems the most adventurous

The black one

The black and white one

Grey black and tan together

Grey and black together

Cage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

They are so cute!! Do you know how old they are? They look itty bitty (:
The cage looks great too! I am so in love with them all, but the grey one steals my heart I want a grey hooded some day!!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

How old

No I don't know how old they are. They came from Petsmart. I was told they were probably between 2-3 months. But they are soo little. I have my doubts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I don't know if you have seen pictures of mine, but they are 3 months old, yours would probably be closer to 1-2

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 09:53 PM
RAT ADDICT

Your babies are adorable!

The grey/white and the black/white are barebacks.The tan is a hooded.They are all so cute.

Oh and all rats have different personalities to answer your question...so you may have a more outgoing one and a more shy one.My 4 rats are all so different from eachother.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 04:06 AM

They are so adorable. They make me want a rat!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 07:25 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

they are darlings. Nice cage. Yes they are all diffrnet in personlitys. the tan one is called tan but some clubs refur to them as biege or fawn and he looks more fawn but I call it tan.
The grey and white looks in the one pic like she has very faint patches on her back? dose she? she may be a capped poor verigated or a bear back with back spots. Are they all dumbo? It looks like the tan hood is a standard ear. I love dumbos I think it gives them a whole diffrent exspresion.

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Those are some adorable babies you've got there. When you put them back into their cage try putting them on a different level each time, and hiding goodies on each level for them to find while exploring. But I think as they get used to being in your home, they'll start to explore more and more on their own. Just remember that places like Petsmart get their rats from large mill type operations, where they are bred and live in breeding racks until they are shipped out, and then once at the store they live in those lighted tanks until you take them home, the idea of climbing and running up and down levels is a foriegn one.
Also you may be right in assuming that they are younger than what the Petsmart employee has told you, for the very same reasons listed above.
If you frequen the Petsmart and are fimiliar with the employees, ask the small animal manager to see if he/she has any rats that haven't been put out on the floor yet, 10 to 1 they have, and they are housed in sliding bins.

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

pet shops suck not all but some do. The J And K if you ask to see what is in the back and how they are kept she will show you and she sperated males from females unless she is breeding she breeds her own pets and gets from breeders and sells as pets and yes she dose food but she has a privet breeder for that.
Look up on you tube and check out rats and mice and milled pets and animals it shows you some horible things that they do in these mills with them and how they are kept by people how are employes who taped things undercover. There was one were the guy didnt put a rabbit fully under to fix him before shiping out oh that was horible to watch.
The pet store I am talking about is family owned and takes care of there pets and deals with breeders only to sell as pets and she keeps track of all lines and probelms and all things.
Rats in pet shops are always in tanks becuase it is eaer for them to keep. so putting treats and things like Tweedel said on the leavels will encurage them to exsplore. The ones at the one pet shop that is family owned are yes shown in tanks but the end of the day and her bakc room they all go back to their cages that have leaves and stuff.
Also watch them carfully becuase PS pets can be ill or sick and they will doctor them up enough to sell or they could deveolpe probelems. I would take them all to the vet to get them checked out to make shure all is ok. Weather they show signs now or not its better safe then sorry. the 3 smaller ones look maybe a moth old the tan hood looks a little older. Are they all males or females? if females watch and make shure one is not prego. Some pet stores our one pet co keeps all males females seperated and like gerbils they only deal with males but ocasinaly get a female by mistake which they will if sold and has babies adopt out. I got a mom and 2 babies I adopted from them and at one time a snake they both died with in the 15 days and they would not do anything I finally called the head company to at lest reinbers me. So careful with PS not all are bad but if they dont let you in the back room or cant tell you then they are hiding something. Some dont becuase people can be carring something that pets can catch but if they cant even tell you something is wrong.
they are lovely. and once they settle in more they will proably zoom all over the cage they are probly still getting over they have room to play from what they were proably originaly kept in.

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Official Loofah Tester

That is a gorgeous little black. I never understood why it's so hard to get decent pics of black rats. They always come out looking gray or brown from the flash or other lighting for some reason. She's so tiny though. I would have pegged her for a mouse.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.