plague victim~! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

plague victim~!

ok, so i'm getting a cold, do i have to quarantine myself from my rats?

thunder, Thunder, THUNDERRATS HOOOOOO~!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Hi Destroyah,

Well, unless I read wrong, and someone else wants to correct me on the forum, from what I know, rats cannot really catch a cold from their people, but they CAN catch strep throat from a human. If they CAN catch your cold, anyone on the forum can feel free to correct my information, but my rat care books say no. However, you still can try to be as hygenic as possible during your cold, and remember to wash your hands often and not cough and sneeze right on your ratties, just to be safe?

Hope I gave you accurate information! Maybe some others will post on this too and add some extra info?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

thanks, i worry cause Queequeg likes to crawl on my face so much, and he tries to pry open my lips when i've eaten something tasty >.<

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

also does this mean i have to go to the doctor to find out if i have strep? i think i just have a poopie cold >.<

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Well, I have had strep before and you know you have it when your throat is really sore and it hurts to even swallow. That would be a sign to watch for!

I laughed when you talked about Queequeg trying to pry your lips open to get into your mouth because our russian blue rat, Klausse, LOVED to open up my husband's mouth and peform ratty dentistry on his teeth, it was so cute! Klausse would practically have his whole head inside Marc's mouth, licking his teeth, heh heh! Of course when we mentioned this to our small animal vet, she said, "I know rat owners sometimes enjoy this ratty dentistry thing, but for health reasons, you shouldn't let your rats do that. They can get germs from your mouth and vice versa." Aww, what a party pooper she was! But she was right of course. Marc stopped letting Klausse into his mouth to lick his teeth, as he did not want to give germs to our baby, but it was so fun while it lasted.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

lol, awww bummer, i saw someone else was doing it so when he tried to get in my mouth i initially let him

i try not to let him win that battle right now though because he's heavy handed and has started biting my lips too hard... >.< that's a pity though, i'll have to break him of the habit.

i'm just so bad at squeaking cause my voice is pretty deep... not jessica rabbit deep mind you, but i don't know if he gets it when i try to squeak. he just looks at me and then tries again.

i try not to pull away so he doesn't think its a game but sometimes it hurts! i think i'll switch to no when he tries to get into my mouth... it works when he's active chewing on something i don't want him to, maybe it will work for my face too~!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

i just went back and looked at pics of your kids, that's so cute, i can imagine how hard it was on your husband to tell them no!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Aww, thanks! Yes, it was hard for my husband to say no to the dental inspections and honestly, I have known rat owners who shrug off the warnings about bacteria and so forth, and enjoy the ratty dental sessions anyway, and my husband and I loved it when Klausse did that, but we really only stopped because we did not want to give any bacteria or germs to Klausse...Marc did not really care if Klausse gave HIM germs, ha ha. He loved him too much. So we stopped to keep things healthier for our baby.

Believe it or not, for some reason, Klausse had no interest in giving me dental exams! Only Marc! Hmm! I always wanted him to, but he would just turn his head away and go straight for Marc. Sheesh, maybe it was my breath!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 07:47 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Just to clarify, rats cannot get our strep throat (you would know you had it because of the white spots/gunk on the back of your throat and tonsils, plus the excruciating pain). Rats can get strep pneumonia BUT its a rare one, and you would likely be too ill to type a post about it.

Sick humans, means more cuddles and scritches for comfort

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Last edited by lilspaz68; 12-23-2010 at 08:15 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspaz68 View Post
Just to clarify, rats cannot get our strep throat (you would know you had it because of the white spots/gunk on the back of your throat and tonsils, plus the excruciating pain). Rats can get strep pneumonia BUT its a rare one, and you would likely be too ill to type a post about it.

Sick humans, means more cuddles and scritches for comfort
thanks lilspaz! not i don't have strep its just a regular snotty nose cold. however Q spent a lot of last night trying to get in my nose while i was on my bed.

i don't think its strep because i made it to work today, lol

i'm terrified i'm gonna fall asleep while he's running around on my bed and i'll roll over on him while i'm sick >.< yesterday was an awesome cuddle and when he got demanding about chewing on my lips i said no! and put him to bed... do you think that will help curb the mouth obsession?

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

louna never did the dental cleaning thing, but if I'm eating something she wants, she will wait try and get a piece of it, even if it's pre-chewed haha.
Vlad, that's so cute about Klausse and your husband
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

well, Q's behavior has become more licky but he's still biting to hard to get my mouth open. After i pull away and say "nuh uh" he switches back to licking my fingers instead...

Tags
health, plague, question, rats, sick