PLEASE HELP!!! I need reassurance... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

PLEASE HELP!!! I need reassurance...

I have a one and a half year old beautiful blue rat named Leeloo. Right now she is very sick. A few months a go she had to go to the vet and got medication for a URI. Her URI is apparently back, or never really went away, and she is now on medication for it, again. However, when Leeloo started her medication five days ago she was barely sneezing and coughing. Today, five days into her medicine, she sounds horribly congested and is coughing and sneezing like crazy. I'm going to call the vet immediately tomorrow, but for now I just want to know if there's anything I can do in the meantime. She's been separated from her three friends, but is still grooming, eating and walking around, though is a bit lethargic.

On top of her URI she also has a few very small lumps on her neck. I think they are abscesses and it looks like one popped because it has a scab on top and it is very pressurized. I tried to aspirate it (I've done this before in school) but she isn't at all anesthetized so getting a needle in the lump long enough to draw out any puss is impossible. I am looking into having it removed but again, is there anything I can do in the meantime? I really don't want anything bad to happen to my little Leeloo, she's the sweetest rat I've had in a long time, any advice would be helpful, and what with it being a holiday here,I can't contact any vets today. Thanks!!!

Last edited by agrau163; 05-25-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 09:30 PM
Rodentologist

Don't try to aspirate them since you likely don't have sterile needles and can possibly induce bacteria into the abscess if it is otherwise sterile. Use a warm compress instead to try and urge them to burst of their own accord.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks. I've actually tried to aspirate already with a vets recommendation, and yes I have sterile needles, I'm a biology student and do rat surgeries, I've just not dealt with URI's or abscesses yet. It didn't work so I'll try a warm compress if I can get her to sit still lol. Does anyone have any ideas as to why she would sound MORE congested while on medication though? And is letting an abcess burst a good idea? How do I keep it from closing upand getting infected again? Again I am contacting a vet ASAP I just have to wait until someone is open and taking calls. Thanks again for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 07:09 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

What antibiotics are you giving her? What concentration are they and what dosage is your vet telling you to give her. As soon as I see these, then I can probably help you figure it out.

I would definitely do warm compresses on her lumps...it brings the surface to a "head" and encourages it to burst. Fine Needle Aspiration(FNA) is only good for diagnosis, not draining.

She doesn't need to be removed from her cagemates...this often can depress them and make them sicker. Those friends of hers are well exposed to any pathogens and most rats are not contagious but some just have weaker immune systems.

At 18 months Leeloo's immune system is likely starting to not function as well.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Her meds right now are Trimethp/Sulfamthzl (Per ml)240mg/5ml. Her dosage is .33cc per day. The largest lump seems like it might have burst once but all of the infection didn't come out. My only problem with the compress isgetting her to sit still. She sounds a bit,a bit, better today but I'm still a little worried about her. Thanks for any advice.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

UPDATE: I finally got in touch with my vet and they told me that it usually takes about a week for and medication to start working so I should give it a few more days. Is this true or shouldI start looking for a new vet?

As for removing her from her cage mates I did already on a vets advice, but should I put her back in with her cage mates? My biggest worry with putting her back in the large cage is that her cage mates might start to bother the lump on her neck (not that they'll get sick, they're already exposed anyway). They can be aggressive groomers. A slightly smaller worry is that her cage mates (Gwen, Shea and Elphaba) can be quite rambunctious and might not let her get the rest she needs. She doesn't seem to mind the separation too much but are my worries even founded on anything rational?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Rodentologist

Personally, I've always noticed an improvement within 2-3 days of starting a new antibiotic. I don't like to wait much longer before switching because the longer you wait the worse off you are.... but that's a judgement call you'll have to make.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Part of the Pack

Usually abscesses don't just pop up, but are the result of a bite or other wound. If there are scabs present, you can soak them to soften them, pick away the scab, and then gently squeeze to exude the pus.

Some lumps will develop close to the wound, which is why there are several. Once you exude the pus from the 'main' wound, the swelling should go down elsewhere as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I will try a compress and see what happens. I'll let you guys know!! Thanks.

UPDATE: OK, so I was attempting to use a damp q-tip to soften the scab and, of course, she wouldn't let me. So,I scruffed her to take a look and, as I watched, the lump and scab just kind of... fell out. It's gross, but I cleaned out the wound, which is about a quater of an inch across and an eigth of an inch wide, with some water and a q-tip, but what else can I put on it to keep it from getting re-infected? I have neosporin and other wound aids, but I'm sure she'll ingest some of it during grooming so I don't want anything harmful to ingest. Other than that she still has the other two, but I'm hoping they'll go down or rupture too. Thanks guys! ANy other advice is always welcome!!!

Last edited by agrau163; 05-26-2009 at 09:44 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 05:53 AM
Rodentologist

A tiny amount shouldn't harm her (although I wouldn't slather it on). Keep the area clean and flush it out daily with an irrigation syringe if you've got it, or a regular syringe if you don't.

The antibiotics should greatly help in preventing reformation of abscesses

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Part of the Pack

A really handy wound cleaner is nolvasan, or even dilute iodine. You can get either at a livestock supply place. (actually, I think iodine is a restricted item now, but there might be 'gentle iodine available which is 1%) Nolvasan is sometimes sold concentrated, so make sure you read and see if it needs diluted! It's pretty safe, as my veterinarian prescribed it for cleaning out the mouth rot/broken jaw wound in my iguana's mouth.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Rodentologist

You can pick up betadine (povidone iodine) which is 9-12% iodine from any pharmacy over with the first aid stuff.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 01:19 PM

I used that stuff on my foot when I had surgery. It smells a little and dyed my foot yellow.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Part of the Pack

how did it taste? lol

Pets name: Cheryl

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 03:46 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenishaS View Post
I used that stuff on my foot when I had surgery. It smells a little and dyed my foot yellow.
When your rat comes home from surgery with that yellowish/brownish stain on their fur, its because they use betadine before surgery. It's good stuff

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Tags
medicine, rat, uri