Please help me...I need to know what happened to Magic - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Please help me...I need to know what happened to Magic

Ok guys....this is quite gross...just warning you. I just went to the mouse cage to check on Pippy and Magic's food circumstances. For some reason they are extremely clean eaters, don't poo in their food bowl and so I usually just change their food every three days and their water every second day (except in summer where it changed every day to keep it nice and cool). Now both of my mice are female and they are both 9 months old. Anyway I just looked at their food supply and it was empty which was strange cause I only changed it on Tuesday and I'm always throwing food out. Well there was no food and I need to buy mouse food tomorrow. Anyway I went and got two snow peas (cause they fight over one) and Pippy was out running around and I asumed that Magic was sleeping in the lookout (I have a picture trail one) but wanted to put her snowpea up there cause in the last month Pippy has become obsessed with food and is now quite overweight. Magic was extremely active and was a nice lean mouse and because of their ages and the fact that despite Pippy's weight she seems quite healthy I didn't worry about trying to diet her and just stopped giving them as many treats. Anyhow I looked up the top and felt through their bedding and couldn't find Magic. Now I was starting to worry....Magic is the friendly mouse who will come to you when you open up the cage door and come for a snuggle where as Pippy seems more wild and you can only get her if she is asleep...but she is happy living in her cage with all her tunnels so I don't push her. I stood on my tip toes (I have the cage high so that nothing can get to them) and seen Magic's tail...it was still.....I just knew that she was going to be curled up on her side dead. And she was.....but here is the gross thing that still has me in shock.....half her head had been eaten. I only looked quickly, realised something had attacked/eaten her and put the lid back down and made my b/f get her out. Well he had a close look at her and he didn't describe anything but said that he definently thinks that she had been eaten. Now the other day I thought I heard a rat in the roof but there is no sign of a rat being in the house and there is no way that Pippy would've survived a rat as well so I have to assume that Pippy has eaten her. Now what I want to know is whether Pippy could've have attacked her and killed her, even though they have been living in the same cage since they were 6 weeks old with no real arguements (except for food..but no blood has ever been drawn) or if Magic most likely died by herself (maybe a mixture of getting old and the sudden cold weather....even though they have stacks of bedding, or an illness that she covered extremely well) and that because Pippy finished all the food she moved on to Magic? I realise now that I hadn't seen Magic since Wednesday (it's Friday night as I type this) but I have been really busy and when I hear wheels turning etc. I assume it's both the mice playing cause it usually always is. I can understand if Pippy has eaten Magic cause she died and was in the cage and that's what they do if they are in the wild (I don't know...just guessing) but I don't know what to do with Pippy if she has attacked Magic and eaten her. I won't be putting another mouse in with Pippy but I just need to understand. I'm in so much shock right now to even begin mourning her death.....please mouse people....help me!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 09:45 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

awww Carmen, I'm so sorry!! HUGS

I would say that Pippy most likely ate her. I couldn't say if she killed her or not, but anything is possible.

We're here for you if you need us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Playful Pup

I've heard that in the wild, rats (and probably mice) will eat the corpse of a member in their society so that it will not attract predators...maybe it was instinct that Pippy ate Magic (even though she didn't finish the whole mouse). One of my pet rats ate its cage mate a little bit when the rat died on its own.

Edit: I'm sure Pippy did not kill Magic, either. Magic probably died and Pippy ate her out of instinct.

Buns

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 01:48 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I have no idea since I've never really had mice as pets (my mom would have had a heart attack) All I can say is I'm so sorry for your loss Carmen! Big to you

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Thanx guys...it still hasn't really sunk in. Waggie that's what I was thinking cause if she had attacked Magic to do that to her then I'm sure I would've heard the squeals and Pippy doesn't have a mark on her. Maybe the fact that there was a rat in the roof (I think it was a rat...that's what it usually is) made her instincts kick in.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 10:19 PM
Romping Ratties

I doubt one mouse attacked and killed the other, however it's very likely she ate her. This happens very often with both rats and mice. They need to "clean" up so to say. Don't worry about it. Like I said, it happens all the time. I can't tell you how many times I have seen dead rats eaten by members of their family.

I think it would be fine to introduce another mousie companion to her if you feel OK with it. I am not too familiar with mouse intros though, so you may want to ask more mouse experienced people than I. I do have a mouse, but he's alone. I am sorry you lost her. I know it's hard. It may be hard for some people to understand but those small critters are usually the hardest to pull at our heart strings and it's very heartbreaking when they go. Losing Honey was hard. I am here if you want to talk. Just PM me.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Thanx RR for your support and kindness! I'm going to see how Pippy goes by herself....if she starts looking lonely I'll get her two friends....introducing is not too hard...they will squabble until they decide who is the dominant one. I actually bought Pippy and Dinky together and unbeknowns to me they were only three weeks old Anyway dinky died three weeks later and when I introduced Magic at 6 weeks they squabbled a bit for the first day or two and then they were fine. I'll get her two friends cause as sad as it is to think it Pippy is getting old and I know my time left with her is limited (even if she lives until she's a super old mouse...time is running out) I'm sad but I'm just keeping myself busy and trying not to think about it right now. But I'll miss feeling her claws hanging onto the back of my hair cause she never like to sit on my shoulders. Again thankyou RR.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 10:31 PM
Romping Ratties

I am sorry you lost her. The other night I was in bed and I was thinking when I was at the vet with Honey spending my last minutes with her. I was remembering cuddling her and rubbing her face on my cheek feeling her soft fur. I remember her being so happy just being with me, she was bruxing so contently. Then I remembered that wouldn't happen again and I just got an awful feeling and began to cry. I hate that they live such short lives. It really sucks at times. But then you remember the good times and it makes it all worth it!

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

RR it does...I hate that they can't live for longer but they are such little characters when they are with us that it is all worth it. I will definently be keeping mice on my list of must have household pets....so many people don't know what they are missing out on. I'm so sorry that you lost Honey too..... I guess I can just have the peace knowing that Magic didn't suffer cause just the day before she was begging me to get out of the cage and was running around like a maniac. My only guess is that she died from a heart attack.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 10:40 PM
Romping Ratties

Oh yes, they are totally worth it! I have one mouse here, Fred who is one of the sweetest mice I have ever owned. He is getting old but he has such a special place in my heart. Again, if you need anything just ask. Do you have any photos we can remember her by?

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

RR Magic is the dark brown and white one....Pepita (pippy is the other one...that's when she was a normal size!) she let me pat her today and came to the cage....she never does that so I'm wondering if she's lonely. They were in a bucket while I was cleaning their cage too!

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 10:24 AM
Romping Ratties

Oh they are both so beautiful!

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 05:24 PM
Adolescent Pup

O such cute mice. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like you have the right idea about getting two mice. I always tell folks who adopt ratties from me that rats need rat companionship, and two is great, but three is even better, hehe.

I have never had any problems introducing female mice to others, but males, well that was a different story.

Marianne

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 06:22 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Awww I am soooo sorry Carmen! Hugs!!

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Thanx Brandy and undercoverrats.....I'm thinking about getting her a friend this weekend. She wants more attention off me but is just not really a people mouse so I think I'll get her a friend, or two you know so I don't have to worry later on!

Tags
cage mate, dark brown, doing fine, female mice, food bowl, male mice, pet rats