please help my rats - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

please help my rats

i have 7 rats, 3 boy and 4 girls. the 3 boys have got mites i was wondering if anyone could help me out in the killing of these little pests that have seem to be making a new life on our rats. i need to know what to use to clear the poor rats that have turned in to a walking bug lunch. i would also like any info on if i need to clear the house and their cage of them and how to do that. please help my boys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 07:54 PM

I don't have rats but I found a home remedy for mites on hamsterific.com . I used it on my mice a while ago and it worked very well. you spray everything in their cage and I would take a paper towel and get it really wet with the solution and rub down my mice with it. Within 2 days their fur was growing back. Hope that helps!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

The best thing to do would be to take them to the vet. They can give you ivermectin for the mites and tell you what to use to clean the cages. I remember when my guinea pig had mites, I used papertowels in the cage and changed them everytime I gave him the ivermectin. Seems like I used very diluted pine sol to clean the cage, but I don't remember. It's been a few years.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I agree with lilchris. You need baths, ivermectin, and completely clearing out all bedding, fabric etc in the cages as well as wood or anything else porous. Then clean cages in a mild bleach solution, rinse well and keep on something simple that's easy to change often like papertowels or newspaper. Then in the future if your have wood blocks or wood shavings or anything like that in the cage, freeze it before using it to prevent future outbreaks.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

i wouldn't bother with ivermectin...just order a tube of revolution and wash the cage and everything in it with a mild bleach solution.

revolution is topical so you don't have to worry about the rat taking the meds orally and you don't have to worry with weekly injections.

I'll PM you.

*Missy*
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Revolution is the way to go. I got it from my vet when my rats had lice.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 08:08 AM
Rodentologist

Revolution is also prescription only in the US, so you'll have to get it from a vet. Ivermectin is not, but you also generally have to buy it in larger quantities.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I want to know what you are using as ivermection because as far as I know it's prescription only

*Missy*
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 05:04 AM
Rodentologist

Ivermectin is available over the counter, but it's typically sold for livestock. It's available in both a paste, injectible, and pour-on form. (The injectible should NOT be injected, but should be given topically or orally)

http://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html

It's most typically available from "feed stores" which specialize in supplies for horses, cattle, sheep, etc.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry