Please Help! Rescued field mouse- dumbfounded rescuer! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Exclamation Please Help! Rescued field mouse- dumbfounded rescuer!

Hi there,

My husband found a cute field mouse in the yard yesterday. Doesn't seem injured, just abandoned. We have 4 other animals (2 cats, 2 dogs) so he brought baby mouse (let's call him BB) inside.

He has a full coat of soft fluffy fur and eyes are open, based on pictures I would guess he is about 2 1/2-3 1/2 weeks old.

We "stimulated" him to go potty and he had solid brown "poo" so I know he has eaten solid food before. I think he was probably still being weaned though. We did not have anything but crackers and apple so we put him in a shoebox with holes, soft cloth, toilet paper tube, water, warm water bottle (on one side outside box), and bits of apple and crackers for the night.

Today, I bought some kitten formula, mouse food, mouse treats (dried fruit), baby med dropper, and housing for the little guy.

The thing that I am having trouble with is getting him to eat/drink anything! I think the dropper is too big (one of those squeeze the end and squirt meds down baby throat things) and he sniffs the food but doesn't attempt to eat it. My hubby is bringing home a smaller dropper tonight but does anyone have any tips on getting the little one to take in some nutrients??

Also, he is really wobbly on his feet and has trouble reaching his face with his tiny paws. Nothing appears to be broken and he doesn't react like he is hurt when you touch, pet, or pick him up. Is this normal??

Sorry post is so long but I wanted to get the most info across. I don't have any previous experience with mice - or baby animals that have not been weaned yet. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

**UPDATE: My husband brought home some tiny eye droppers and BB drank lots of formula (tiny human amount; good BB amount). He was very happy about it. Kept "suckling" on my hand until he'd find the dropper again.
After dinner, we "wiped" him and he curled up on my chest, buried his face in my hand and fell asleep. So cute! I hope he makes it. Prognosis looks good for now!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 09:55 AM

I hope he does. Are you giving him KMR? That might be better then human baby formula.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Yes, using KMR (went online and read everything orphan mouse related before hitting petco!) He has grown so much in just 2 days and he's also munching on oats, whole grain cornflakes, and lettuce in between feedings (doesn't seem to recognize mouse blocks as food yet!) You can go to this post to see some pics... paw-talk.net/forums/f75/help-rescued-baby-field-mouse-dumbfounded-rescuer-52822.html#post557875 I can't post linked pics yet cuz I haven't hit 20 posts yet!
The first 2 are from Wed night and the second 2 are from Thurs afternoon. What a diff. a day makes with these tiny guys!

Tags
mouse, rescue