Poor baby, anything I can do? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Unhappy Poor baby, anything I can do?

Okay, we literally expect Genie to have her babies at any time. I guess she's doing okay, nothing abnormal, but I feel so bad for her. She keeps moving around and stretching trying to get comfortable and can't. Then she'll get really still like she's sleeping, but her eyes are open so you can tell it's too uncomfortable for her to really rest, and she's breathing kinda hard and drinking a lot. We haven't seen any blood yet and she's still eating a little and quick to respond to me when I walk over there, so I'm sure this is all just part of the late stages of pregnancy but still she just seems so uncomfortable I feel so bad for her. Does anyone know of anything I can do to make her more comfortable through all of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 12:46 AM

make sure she has lots of soft bedding and something to chew on like cardboard and if she is in labor there wont be much relaxing for her for at least a couple of hours untill she gets those pups out and starts to feed them i know its tuff to warch but just bear with her and it will be over before you know it
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks, yeah she has lots of paper towels and fleece. I don't know if she's really in labor or not. She's not bleeding or anything, but she has been acting antsy and uncomfortable like this for the last few hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 04:00 AM

sounds like she might be in the erly stages of labor so she might have them by tomorrow eavnig so ceep an eye out
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 08:59 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Keep a close eye on her, the breathing was something I never noticed with my girl before labour. But the shifting and being uncomfortable, defintiely. If you take her out and have her lie in your lap, put your fingers (if she will let you) gently against her sides in that area between her hip bones and her ribcage and you might feel little eepers moving into position for birth. They get especially active just before.

Good luck!!!

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Oh I don't have to put my fingers there. You can watch her and see little squirmy jelly beans moving down both sides, it's kinda creepy looking.

So does anyone think I should be worried? She still gets up to eat or drink or greet me when she first sees me,but she's been doing this squirmy stuff since last night, and it's 9:00 in the morning here now. I still haven't seen any blood, should I be worried that this is taking so long? Or is it normal?

But yes I can still handle her, she has remained very sweet, and seems to be comforted by our presence. At 2:00 this morning she was really uncomfortable and stressed out and tired and she actually went to sleep while we talked and sang to her and stroked her head. She's such a great sweet rat! (Yes I know we're silly!)