Possible blood n house - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

Possible blood n house

I have a hammock for my rats and a house with dark bedding so I really don't know if this was something that's been going on for a while or not. But I am putting them under constant watch now. I put a shredable white paper box in their cage one that was big enough for them to climb into. Well after two days I took it out and on the bottom of the box is what looks like speckeled drips of blood. I did research a way to trim their nails and a few websites said to put a brick in the cage so I did do this. And my first thought was is it was caused by the brick so I check out their feet and all over them I did not see any scrapes, scabs, nick or anything. So then I wondered if it could possibly be caused by them going in to heat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 01:46 AM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

Hmm,I have no idea...
Are they female? Do female rats menstruate...ever? I never notice my rats of mice menstruating,but I wonder.
Hopefully someone can come along to help soon!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 01:46 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

interesting
i know nothung about rats
but that sounds possible since lots of things bleed during that time of the month or season lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 05:27 AM
Adolescent Pup

rats don't have periods. it could be porpophrin. I see the speckled stuff sometimes too. Just watch it though.

Redsweettart

boys: cadoo, cosmo, jinx, moe, ziggy
girlies: sox, chops

gone: Inky--2/7/07 Oreo 4/1/07
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 06:12 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

If its little specklies I second the porphyrin. Just watch how much there is and if it increases a lot. Could signify a problem. Porph is a normal thing for rats.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 06:13 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

If its little specklies I second the porphyrin. Just watch how much there is and if it increases a lot. Could signify a problem. Porph is a normal thing for rats.

Rats do not menstruate.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 10:19 PM
RAT ADDICT

Rats/mice do not bleed when they go into heat and they do not have periods.

I agree that it could be porphyrin.If your animals are stressed,they could be "leaking" porphyrin and when they shake or scratch,it can fly off and stain the little house.It might not be nothing to worry about,just keep your eye on them.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

I have been. thanks. so far so good.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Adolescent Pup

I am glad everything is good so far. It is so sad when a pet might be sick or hurt. Good luck!

Tags
female rat, female rats, male rat, male rats