Post your Tilties :D - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Post your Tilties :D

Weirdly enough only in the last year or so, have I been getting tilties in my home. Before this I never truly dealt with inner ear infection but as per usual, the Rat God or Goddess decided it was time...and then I get a small flood of them. :

My first tilties were Fred with his able brother Marley. Fred was with an owner who thought he had injured his neck and needed to get rid of him and another rat. A rescue offered to take them in, and ended up with a sick older girl (she was supposed to be a baby) and Fred. Fred was terrified and very ill and very very unhappy. After talking to the original owner the rescue woman found out that the girl took the opportunity to dump the sickest rats but she also split up the healthy brother from Fred and the brother was depressed, so she offered him to the rescue girl as well.
At this point, the rescuer had contacted me since she couldn't afford any vet treatment for Fred and we worked out a transport for him and then added his brother in.
Fred would use Marley as a literal support...Marley would have Fred lean on him when they were lying together and Fred would even spoon up and put his arm over Marley because his world was so dizzy. I was very proud of Marley for being such a good brother. Fred's tilt was severe, and never diminished but the skinny scabby (mites) body filled out and the harsh coat softened and began to shine. He's doing just great now and lives with a huge passel o' girls!
Then

and now he often lies on his side when I am stroking him and will brux away

Next is Tepeu. She came from a PJ’s Pet Express who dumped her and another younger baby girl off at the vet’s to be euthanized. They both had head tilt and were unsaleable. :-\
Sadly my vet was away that week and even though we tried the young girl died within the week (RIP Peku) .
Tepeu recovered well

and grew up into a nice healthy although slightly odd pearl girly.

Then there was Theo, but Theo lucked out, the rescuer who picked him up and fostered him for me, was able to medicate him and his tilt became minimal. Weirdly enough he’s my least stable rat even though he has the least of the tilts. He is not very agile and prefers spending a lot of his time on the bottom of their cage.

He was such a shy, nervous unsure dude when I got him. It took him 8 months before he now approaches me for attention. He was very happy with his ladies so I never pushed it

and finally Yogurt. Yogurt is a more recent addition and was bought as a boa’s lunch but the boa left and the woman decided she liked Yogurt. Told us he was a boy, but bit all the time and she was terrified to touch him, :/ Then Yogurt got an inner ear infection, and even with pleas of rehoming him to someone who could take him to a vet, she became very suspicious and refused to meet with anyone from the forum. I even offered to meet her in a park where she could put down the carrier somewhere and I would walk up and get it…no go Finally I sent some extra meds I had so poor sick Yogurt wouldn’t suffer. Yogurt recovered. Then the woman decided she was moving and asked me take Yogurt in. Yogurt arrived, a GIRL, and very tilty and scared. She bit the transporter but never drew blood on me. She was nippy but I find some tilties are a bit mouthy and think its part of their condition/perspective. She was sick, and thin, and her eyes were a mess.

Well now she’s not sick, she’s not thin, her eyes are horrific no matter what I do, and she’s happy. She has friends, and now she is starting to cuddle with me, whereas she ran away before. She’s beautiful.

Now post yours!

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 01:08 PM
RAT ADDICT

Awww...it is nice of you to take them in.Yogurt looks alot like a rescue I took in named Cinnamon...even to the eyes.Cinnamon always had eyes like that.She was 2 going on 3 when I got her.

I only ever had THREE rats in my life that had "tilt"...Skye,Claribel and Anabel.I am not sure if I have pictures on this computer,I will have to look.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I had a tiltie too, my girl Leila, she got an ear infection while we were away for a weekend, and the petsitter wasn't sure of what to do, but we got her to the vet straight away when we got back, she never lost her tilt, and she and her sister Nibbler passed on at just over three years old, within weeks of each other, Leila always took care of Nibbler, and waited until Nibbler was over the Bridge before she took the trip herself!

She' a pretty, and Lucky little girl!

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 01:51 PM
the rodent lover<3

For some reason I love white rats with red eyes the most <3 All your ratties are adorable, even with the tilt

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

awww i find the head tilt cute!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I think it is cute too! They remind me of dogs when they are curious :p

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Part of the Pack

I have a tiltie girl. By the time I noticed something was wrong with her and got her on antibiotics, I guess damage was done. Hers isn't that severe, and she NEVER showed any sign of pain or illness at all - she's too happy all the time. Other than a loss of balance, she's just fine. She loves terrorizing any visitors to the rattery with her 'nasal investigations' and clingy behaviors. You can't tell she's a tiltie in these pics, but here's some of my favorites of her :

Before the ear infection; road trip to school with me! :

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

My Phineas is tilty, I will try to get a picture of him. It has been a long time since I posted pics of my boys!

Maureen

Six new rats
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Hello Earthling

Their cute