Potty Training - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Potty Training

Hi! I'm Shelby and I've decided to potty train my rats. Besides putting some old stinky bedding in the potty, changing the other bedding, and using two different beddings, what else should I do?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Have non particle bedding like fleese for the rest of the cage and move the poos to the litter pan

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Thank you! I started them last night. I don't know who it was, but one of my rats used the box all by themself. I am so proud of them. There will probably be some accidents along the way, but I am so excited for the day when I won't have to pick up raisins from the house area. I think once they are able to go in the one area, I'll move them into the really big cage. That thing was so hard to clean. D:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

hey I've been trying to do that with Louna, but the thing is, she gets it for the poo (she got it immediately actually )but not the pee! the cage STINKS after 3 days because fleece doesn't really block pee odours...

any tricks for that? it's really hard for me to see bedding with pee on it for her to get it!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

What about using paper towels? My boys love them--I pre-rip them in strips, then they just move them around and shred them how they want. I can always see the urine stains so I know exactly when to change them.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

oooh, i really want to use fleece in order to prevent from polluting or contribute killing trees regularly as mush as possible, but that could definitely work to train her to go in the toilet corner! I could take the soiled pieces and put them in the toilet for her to get it!

thanks breyer! i didn't even think of something simple like that
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

If you do try it, let me know how it goes! I'd like to get mine on fleece, but right now they're just too young and messy for it to be worth the hassle! (And all the additional laundry they'd require...) :-p
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 08:52 PM

I done the same as above. My three boys do not get it. AT ALL.
Both the top and bottom layer smell terrible and are covered in poo. I clean it daily and put the poo in the litter box. There are 3 litter boxes. Nice size and shape, perfect for rats. I use a aspen pellet bedding which they find nice. They just dont use it! Ive tried putting them in the litter box when i see them trying to pee, ITS NOT WORKING. Im reeaalllllyy sick of poo and pee everywhere.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Bokuza, how often do you clean their litter boxes?
I've noticed mine will start going elsewhere when the box gets kind of full.

Tags
potty training, rat