Pregnancy Watch at Lilspaz's :/ - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Pregnancy Watch at Lilspaz's :/

I have started weighing many girls who may have come into contact with my little intact wild boyrat I caught in my apartment last Wednesday night. He was picked up by the local Wildlife Centre and is healthy, and almost ready for release now. Sadly this summer, the City had a civic strike (garbage pickup, etc) and there was a rat population explosion because of it. I started weighing girls on Thursday night and Friday night (the Likely girls who free-roamed in the livingroom...they don't like staying on the couch...and the Unlikely girls...couch girls with me or bedroom girls with barrier up) on separate days, since you don't want to miss a pregnancy). Then I realized I needed new batteries so did my 2nd Weigh-in's on Saturday and Sunday. They both showed huge discrepancies from the first "old battery" weights but there was some significant gain for about 5 girls

I am now weighing the Likely girls every night at the same time, since I have no clue when they could've been impregnated and are literally going by their weight patterns/gains for clues.

As a pre-emptive thing I have e-spays booked, 1 for today and 1 for Friday.

Scooshee (7 mo) is first as she has gained a total of 23 grams in 5 days and had an gain of 11 grams in 24 hours.
I will weigh again tonight and tomorrow to figure out Girl #2, but it's looking like her mom Molly.

My vet is really cutting me a deal but its still going to be a lot of money. BUT a whole PILE of people from different rat forums sent me donations to help with the e-spays and I have enough for 5 now!!

My nerves are just a wee bit frayed right now. I have learned that stress like this, makes serious, logical thinking go out the window, and figuring out the girl's weights a real challenge.

When I dropped off Scooshee this morning (mom Molly is her companion) I also booked another e-spay for Monday and 2 more on Thursday.

Here is the potential father.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Eek! Good luck. Hopefully you can avoid any half-wild babies.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wishing you the best of luck Spaz!

And luck to the girls!!!
Are half-wild ratties adoptable as pets? Or would you have to send them to a wildlife center as well?

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleDeedle3 View Post
Wishing you the best of luck Spaz!

And luck to the girls!!!
Are half-wild ratties adoptable as pets? Or would you have to send them to a wildlife center as well?
I actually have 4 half-wilds at home and they are NOT handleable...if I am not careful they bite me regularly. this is my 2nd group as well, and you have to be a seriously experienced and dedicated owner to deal with half-wild ratties. I have never dealt with a litter from birth and socialized them intensely...but if you ask my layman opinions as soon as you add those wild genes, HALF-wild is a misnomer. They are more like 75% wild, instinctual and are often unhappy in captivity. I took in these present halfies because a girl was offering them as pets to the unsuspecting public
I was even considering having them humanely pts as 4 week old babies, if they seemed miserable. But this little crew are very happy and content with their life in their cage with their domestic rat family. IF they get loose though, they will hide and I will have to trap them with my Havahart trap just like a wild rat

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Is there a real big probelm with wild rats there? as in you see them alot? I know there are rats that are wild here but i have never seen one. Others have in abandon places but thats about it.
Has any people let go pet rats they didnt want and breed with the wild ones. I think the diffrent colored ones would quickly be hunted down becuase they are not camoed as well to fit in but has that ever happend that you know of or seen?
I wish you luck. Did the girl you go the wild babies from capture the wild ones and breed them? what was her story of why she would have wild rats to breed?
Daimond
PS wild is wild and belongs in the wild. Pets are pets that are breed to be tame and kept as pets. Who would want to breed wild things like that girl did or was it that she cougth them and they had babies?

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 12:41 PM
RAT ADDICT

Good luck with everything!

I had a wild rat in my home last year.It was a female though and she was very brave,she would come out while I was watching TV and just stare at me,but if I moved,she would take off.I tried catching her with no luck,she outsmarted me and she eventually chewed a hole by my front door for easy access in and out,not that I wanted her here...I kept plugging the hole to no avail.Unfortunatly the landlord put poison out around the house and I never seen the rat or any mice since.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

The first family I took in was a young female domestic hoodie someone dumped outside, she survived over 2 weeks outside and was impregnated by a wild boy.

The 2nd family was from an escapee girl who got out of her cage and went for a wander, came back pregnant. The girl had NO clue they were half-wild, couldn't understand why she couldn't handle the babies.

We normally don't have an issue with wild rats but there was a garbage pickup strike for over 8 weeks this summer and with a new food source the rat population exploded

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Btw all the wildies were Agouti no matter what colour mom was...the agouti is dominant every time

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Hello Earthling

Hopefully no one is preggers. Good luck.

post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Scooshee is done, and she's fine. She didn't seem to be pregnant, so one of the tech's is going to talk to my vet and call me back to see if I should wait a bit longer before spaying them or what? 23 grams in 5 days is a lot for an adult rat to suddenly gain.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Is there a reson or an instink when they are half wild to retain the wild in them as far as not being able to be handedled at all.
I know that wild rats long ago were kept as pets and breed down to make tame pets is that what you would have to do with a wild or half wild baby to tame it so to speek not that I would wan to thats a lot of unhandable rats. But what will become of the unhandelble ones will they be able to be tamed down or have to go to a wild life place to stay or relised?
Daimond

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

I have always taken in my half-wilds at around 4 weeks of age, and by then it was an uphill battle. I think if someone socialized them from birth, and so much more than a domestic litter they would be better, but still would never act like a domestic.

With the wild rats kept and bred as pets, the ones showing the most desirable traits like friendliness to humans, docility, etc were the ones that were chosen to keep breeding. All of the traits we like in domestics now are everything that would NOT help a wild rat to survive.

and just to head it off at the pass now, wild rats are NOT healthier than domestics, they get tumors, etc as well. Most wild rats have an average lifespan of 1 year. My original wildies all died between 13 months and 28 months (most dying at 21-22 mo) from CHF, respiratory issues and 2 had these horrific tumors...one my vet had NEVER seen on a rat. As for the domestic mom, she lived until 32-33 months old.

here were my little Wildlings when they arrived

This is my last wildling Laila, at 27 months, she was the ONLY one of 7 who let me touch or hold her at the end. She lived in my livingroom and I had made little "homes" for her. She would follow me from room to room. I miss her.

But this is what she did not long before...

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Last edited by lilspaz68; 11-19-2009 at 03:03 PM.
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 03:10 PM

Oh sweetness, I hope all the best luck for you. If anything, I know that they would/will be in good hands. But I don't wish it on you.

Those Wild babies actually look somewhat like Weasels, or Possums to me!
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 04:07 PM
RAT ADDICT

They are cute.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Finally home from the vet's with Scooshee

Incision looks good

Tomorrow morning I drop off her mom Molly...

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack