Pregnant Mouse!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Pregnant Mouse!!

I have reason to belive my mouse is pregnant, she lived with another mouse i recently bought and it turns out the new mouse could possibly be a boy!! I have seperated the two mice as the one i think is pregnant is fat and i dont want her having the babies and becomeing pregnant again!!

Can anyone advise me how many babies to expect on the first litter?? I heard it would be about 2 to 4?? Im just curious and it excites me to think she could be having babies
lol!!

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Hmmm... not sure. I'm not to good on the mice side, but I'm pretty sure she'll be having a lot, lot more babies than two to four!
Okays... so I just did a search on the internet. The gestation period is usually around 3 weeks. If your mouse is prgnant she will start making nests so you might want to put a box in her cage with lots of different materials she can use to build up the nest. Give her a larger portion of food than you usually do with higher nutrition and protein quantities. You will also need calcium, she will after all, need to feed her babies a rich supply of milk.
As for the size of the litter, she will have anything between one to twenty babies, the standard about 10 upwards. Don't touch the babies for 3 days at least, let the babies be left alone with their mother.
I hope this helps, it's just main points I know and stuff which I've found on the internet. Good Luck! ... babies will be hard work so don't get to excited LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

lol, i no about the gestation period etc but i was not sure about the size of litter to expect. Then agen i guess no one can tell. Shes showing the signs but her belly is not as large as i have seen pictures of so does this mean its the early stages of the pregnancy or does it mean shes nearly due and there will be a small litter??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

It probably means that she is in early stages if she is pregnant, she will become larger and you will notice that she is more pear shaped than obese.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for helping me!! I have reason to belive that she is pregnant,at the back near her legs her body has grown out more (pearish shape starting to take place) The underside of her belly is more rounded which i understand is another sign aswell??
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 05:31 PM
RAT ADDICT

Mice take on a pear shapre when pregnant and their nipples will be more visible.They tend to get fatter a day or two before having babies...so just because she is not huge yet,don't mean it will be a small litter.

Mice can have large litters.
Make sure she gets extra protien...things like egg,dog food,bit of chicken or cheese should do.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

I gave her a tiny bit of chicken earlier which was left over from the sunday roast!! lol!! I put it on top of the food bowl which she keeps covering with the bedding and she poked her nose out and that was it, i then put it outside the door of her nest box she poked her head out took it in and i could see through the entrance hole to the nest box that she was eating it, it was as if she had never been fed before lol!!

Im going to give her a few bits of cat food in a minute as i read this is ok for them aswell, reason is i dont have dog food as i have not got a dog!! lol!! Am i still alright to handle her?? She seems very in-active and is building nests, i accidentally destroyed them earlier so im going to leave the bedding alond now. Does this mean shes soon to have them or not?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 01:28 AM

Rememer... female mice MUST live in pairs. I wouldn't reccomend adding another doe (female mouse) until after they are weaned.

A mouse can ahve a very large litter. I had a litter of 13 all survived wich isn't too common but not rare. Do NOT mess with the babies until they are atleast 3 days old. Only mess with the mother/babies/cage long enough to feed/water the mother until then.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

I no not to handle them!! I was talking about handling the mother before she has them!! Sorry if i did not make that clear enough lol!!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I think handling the mom until she has babies is ok, just be gentle

if not, i'm sure someone will come and correct me soon

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 11:50 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh582 View Post
I no not to handle them!! I was talking about handling the mother before she has them!! Sorry if i did not make that clear enough lol!!
Yes.You can still handle mommy mouse.

* Lisa *

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Thats great!! Thanks guys!!
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 03:48 PM
RAT ADDICT

Your welcome.
Hehe...do you happen to have any pictures?

* Lisa *

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

I have one!! lol!! I will attach it below!! The one i belive to be pregnant is the one on the left of the photo (brown/black and white)

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 05:57 PM
RAT ADDICT

They are sooo cute!
What are their names?

The brown/white one looks just like a mouse I used to have named "Saddleback".

* Lisa *