pregnant spiny mouse - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

pregnant spiny mouse

I recently got what I THOUGHT was 2 female spiny mice (atleast thats what the breeder told me). Well last night i noticed one of my mice chasing the other and then i realized they were mating. I cannot find any info on this and I was wondering what i should do. Any and all help is welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 01:06 AM
I am allergic to maths

Chances are that if you got them from an experienced breeder, then you do have two girls. Humping is part of fighting for dominance, they are deciding who will be the alpha mouse. If any open wounds or blood appears you will need to separate them but fighting for dominance is fine. Just incase, search for a mouse sexing diagram on google images, and check the genders for yourself, if you do have a male and a female, watch out for sighns of pregnancy such as nesting, prominant nipples, and a bigger belly. Im not sure on the gestation but I am sure one of our mice owners can tell you that It would also be a good idea to separate the two if you do have a male and a female
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I know for a fact now that one is a male, and i was told with spiny mice that they need to be with another spicy mouse as they are extremely social animals or i wouldnt hesitate to remove him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 03:00 AM
Adolescent Pup

For some its enough to have them next to each other in seperate cages. Rodents nest anyway, whether or not they're pregnant. Its part of being mature

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pita my blue female rat with Pandora, my champagne hoody.

R.I.P Pita - 11.06.2010 at the age of just over a year (a year the feb gone since I bought them, she was at least a month old when I got her)

Tags
pregnant, spiny mouse