Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  mulder 
#1 ·
I'd like any suggestions on things to have for a new baby rat (he'll be 6 or 7 weeks when i get him). for the first while, until he grows, he'll be in front of the couch in a hamster cage (quick and easy handling and monitoring). He won't go into The Mookie Cage until he's adult sized. Wheel: yes. Water: yes. Wood and toys: endless. Sleepy things:yes. What foods do you recommend? Lab blocks (what i assume are the huge kibble nuggets I get) are a must. Any canadian stores or brands a fave? I shop at pet valu, wal mart (duh), superpet, and petsmart. I don't have any other options I'm aware of. Most of the privatley owned stores are for marine life, or carry the same as above. What veggies are best and when? I read about keeping seed mixes to once a week, i can do that. What about bulk barn for nuts and stuff? Can I make homemade supplement mixes? Anything! I like to get creative, get the hands dirty. I've already decided i'm goign to attempt litter training, to amuse myself. I'm really indifferent to whether or not it works. I have a bin to use, and i'll just use wood shavings as the litter. my rat's special enough to have carpet and blankies in his cage :) lol. (totally not saying anythign about anyone else's rat's, you're all great!) oh the dryer calls........

#2 ·
I know a lot of people on here make their own mix. It's kinda like a Suebees mix, but altered to fit what they want. You can google Suebees mix and come up with a lot.
I myself feel Mazuri lab blocks. I found a good deal at a feed and tack store. 25 pounds of blocks for $12.
Seeds and nuts are very fatty, so feed them sparingly. It will be okay if you cut them out altogether. You can feed fruits and veggies.

This is a list I found online since I can't remember too much off the top of my head...I have a really bad cold, so I'm a mess:

Things to Feed in Moderation

plain popped popcorn

Vitakraft yogurt drops

avocado

chocolate

chicken or beef bones (cooked or boiled)

Kaytee chew biscuits

fruit Nutra*Puffs

vegetable Nutra*Puffs

dried corn

Nylabones for chewing

Foods high in nitrates: beets, celery, eggplant, lettuce, cucumber,

radishes, spinach, collards and turnip greens

coffee

Things To Never Feed

carbonated/fizzy drinks

foods (in excess) that cause gas

Orange Peels/Orange Juice (for males) - Pieces of the orange "fruit" are okay after washing

raw dry beans/Peanuts (contain anti-nutrients that destroy Vit. A

& digestion enzymes, causes red blood cell clumping)

raw sweet potato

green bananas (inhibits digestion of starch)

green potato skin and eyes (contains a toxin)

wild insects

raw bulk tofu

mouldy Cheese

liquorice (suspicions of neurological poisoning)

raw red cabbage (contains anti-nutrients that destroys thiamin)

raw artichokes (inhibits digestion of protein)

raw olysters/clams

I hope that helps you a little bit.

#3 ·
ahh yes, that definitley helps! thank you so much. I do my own researching, but I like opinions from experience as well. *example: i bought "degu food" only to find out from you guys that alfalfa on high is bad. i did agree to this since my girls stopped being ill when it was eradicated*

i'm also a sucker for pictures lol

#4 ·
Yea they can't digest alfalfa very well.

A good suebees mix with a good lab block should be good for the diet.

I tend to give them what I eat as long as it's not junky. I'm not gonna lie, they get the occasional french fry or pizza crust, but that's no so bad in moderation. They certainly don't get that everyday.

It says yogies in moderation but you can give them 1 once a day. They go crazy for yogies. You can probably find regular yogurt drops which are cheaper then buying a container of yogies.

#5 ·
i have yogurt drops that i give to my hamster and spinies on occasion. i offered one to the goos and they weren't interested, wierd! I don't get any wierd flavour, just yogurt yogurt drops (thinking of coffee flavoured coffee). they just turned their noses up. snobs! lol

#8 ·
You should be careful with how much fruit you give them though, as too much can cause diarrhea (sp?) it's the same with iceburg lettuce.

Low pretoin, low salt dog biscuits are a favorite treat with my bunch. I try to get a different kind whenever I run out and I've only found one they didn't like.

Apple sauce is a good treat for getting him used to you and being handled because you can have him take it off your fingers and he can't run back to a corner with it.

What size wheel did you get? He'll need one with at least a 12 inch diameter to be able to use it comfortable once he's full grown. Both Wodent Wheels and Silent Spinners are really good, but I've found my girls can take thier Silent Spinner apart.

I'm sure I'll think of more later, but that's it for now. It sounds like you're doing really well so far.

EDIT:

Scrambled eggs or a hardboiled egg would be a good treat for him once or twice a week while he's little and still growing, but you should cut back on how often once he's full grown.

#10 ·
I recommend making your own food mix, rather than buying a store brand. You can add in what ever the ratty loves and you can change it up so the ratty never gets board. Plus you'll know exactly what is in it, and it lasts a LONG time. I also recommend Chef Boyardee, or a knock off, like wal*mart brand. My rats LOVE the lasagna, alphabets with meat balls and ravioli. Also it is okay to feed some of what you eat, but you have to check the ingredients and make sure it is safe. Also my rats have eaten sushi, I made them small tiny rolls and they loved it. Funny as one is named Sushi!!

#11 ·
my Skrat loves her corn
so I give to her whenever possible

#12 ·
wow! thanks guys!!

Skrat: For the moment i only have hammy wheels wince he'll be so young, but i'm goign to get a big BIG(bigger) wheel for my goos, so my ratty can have their 12 inch one, > The wheel will be bought if need be, i don't cheap out :).

Food: awesome ideas, thanks so much! i know about the scrambled eggs, i'd leave salt out (right?) I'll definitley be making my own mix (along with blocks) to save money and have fun making it. i Looooove spoiling them lol

#13 ·
Yes, I'd say to leave the salt out of the eggs.

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but I'm curious as to what type of bedding you're using.

#14 ·
bedding? well my rules are i use what i have to. i believe animals rely solely on humans to provide them with what they need to survive. So, i have pine but it's out (maybe 1 hammy cage left) and when i go out, i'm getting somethign different and less messy, and frankly i'm allergic to the wood stuff. I'm thinking carefresh depending on price, or newspaper. I'll also make anything i'm too cheap to buy. when the ratty arrives he'll be in a hammy cage with newspaper and more shreddded paper and toilet paper. when he gets older and can handle a bigger cage and maybe potty training, he'll have carpet (i have tons extra, i don't clean i replace) and i'll put carefresh/newspaper in his litter box. i have/can make any ladders or steps he might need. I've also (thanks heaven to you!!) discovered how bad Pine is, hence my changing to carefresh ior paper. I always buy/read newspapers for the puzzles, so they have an endless supply. my good love tearing at the pages, or taking a strip and tunning around their cage with it. this ratty might as well be human i'm so ready to caudle him lol. and not like, hug and snug, just that i'm ready to do whatever it takes for him, why not? i signed up for it, i must maintain it! *so excited*

#15 ·
Oh, that's good to hear. I would personally use newspaper over carefresh, just because I've heard so many stories about animals getting tangled up in it. But I know there are several people on here that use it for various animals and havn't had any issues.

#16 ·
interesting, well, i'm a preventative medicine type of person, so i'll just use the newspaper and call it a day. i don't to taking chances like that, the consequences are just to heavy for me. and newspaper is free and easy to get to hehehe, this is excellent!! *smithers voice*

#17 ·
I am getting more excited for you,the more I read about Mookie! :D I can't wait till he goes home with you,it is almost like he is coming to me,thats how excited I get! LOL!

Anyway my rats get a homemade mix.I started off by looking up Suebee's,but now I add my own stuff.I often change it up abit too.Just for variety.I get my supplies at "The Bulk Barn" (which you mentioned,so I am guessing you have one of them stores near you too!).I also feed them "nutriblock" along with their mix and they get dry and cooked pasta,veggies (romaine lettuce and carrot mainly),fruits (apples,banana and things like that).I give them a milk bone every now and then for their teeth.Also give them rice,peas,corn on occassion,bread...etc.Oh and I gave them a boiled egg before and they LOVED that!Oh and I also sometimes give fish,like tuna or salmon or even sardines.Thats only a treat tho.

Just keep in mine...too much protien in the diet...not good.It can cause scabby,itchy skin.

For bedding/litter...my rats get aspen mixed with Yesterdays News,which really absorbs well.I throw in a piece of old clothing or face cloths or other material for their blankies.

Anything else????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.