protective male!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

protective male!!

ik i have mice that have had babies tye are about 5 days old and the weird thing is that the male seems to have taken the mommy role cuz i never see the momma near the pups and always daddy and everytime i opern the cage he runs to the pups and when i tried to check the babies in the little house they r in and the male attacked me not just a nip but he jumped on my hand and bit the crap out of me and the female doesnt seem to care about me at all.
I was just wondering if this type of behavior from the male is normal??
eather way he seems like he wil be a good daddy for future breening i think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 02:11 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I don't breed mice so I'm not sure if that behavior is normal. What I do know, though, is that you should probably separate him anyway. It's not good for the female to have back to back litters.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

yeah i would normaly take the male out about the last weak but i lost track of these 2 and cinda got a baby suprize they alredy had their color spots so i knew they were abou 2 days old so i figured that she is probably already pregnant again and since he is such a good daddy i figured leave him there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 06:19 AM

When the babies get older there is a good chance he will attack and kill them, I would seperate him but then again I wouldn't feed the babies to a snake either!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

see these are not fore feeding i have one big tub with a whole bunch of albinos in it some from a previous litter and the rest i bought as food but i do have 3 breeding set of mixed colors so i can get interesting coloration. tlike these two the male is brown with black brindleing and the female is white withe large bluish silver spots
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

See this kinda reinforces my suspicions about a your previous post. You should not put them together and get "baby surprises." You should be monitoring any breeding situation carefully. Back to back litters could very likely kill your mouse, especially since I really have to have my doubts about her care.

You really need to stop breeding. Responsible breeders do not breed just to have some around or to feed them to something. You want feeder mice, buy frozen/thawed (take it from a snake owner, they're better for your snake anyway) You want a couple of more colorful mice as pets, go buy some for under $5 each. The only reason to breed is because you have the experience and knowledge and you have strong healthy lines with good temperament (verifiable pedigree) so that you can actually improve the breed. That's not what you're doing, and I really must urge you to stop!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

ok stop cummin at me like youre the master of rodent breeding.
I checked my breeding charts and found that on the two grops of male and female that i introdroduse at the same time i put the birth days 6 days too far ahead so thats why i had suppriz pups 5 days ago and the agressive female from my other post is actually having her pups right now and so far seems to be dooing fine. there is a such thing called human error so get over it
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 01:26 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm not trying to come at you like anything, and I certainly apologize if it seemed that way. As many others on here though, I do feel it my responsibility to advise against actions that I feel are irresponsible to animals.

Yes human error happens, but it is our responsibility as pet owners to try and reduce the effect that human error has on the living beings in our charge. So far in the last two posts alone you have a dead and half eaten male because either you didn't realize that they had become aggressive to eachother or you didn't realize he was sick, and you have a female whose life is endangered because she may have been accidentally reimpregnated too soon after her litter. In addition you've said that you regularly leave the male with the female until she actually shows weight gain with pregnancy which goes directly against everything that the breeders I know and trust would advise. That really makes it sound like you're in a little over your head and it has started to effect the safety of your animals. I don't mean that as an insult. There are lots of really good people who love their pets who don't have the resources to run large breeding projects well. I myself have had the opportunity to get into a small rat breeding project and am considering it very slowly and carefully because that comes with huge responsibility.

I'm sorry, but you posted on an open forum for all to give their advice, and I just can not tell you that it's okay that you've endangered the lives of two mice by not monitoring closely enough and that you should continue with your current practices. My advice to you is to either scale down a lot, do some more research, and change some of your practices, or stop breeding all together (which is more than likely the best answer.) As with any other advice, you can do with it what you will, and I wish you and your mice good luck.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 02:54 PM

I absolutly agree with kara. (even though i have disagreed with her in the past lol.) If you absoulutely dont have a clue what you are doing stop doing it. At least take the time to talk to a few experianced breeders. im not saying you have to know EVERYTHING when you first start out but you should at least know what is happening with your mice. Don't just leave them and just wait for cute little babies! You have to do everything you can to insure your mice are safe. Pay attention to your animals. YOu seem to not care about them as much as you should. Seems to me that you care more about feeding your snake then the well being of all your other animals. YOu can take care of more then just your snake my love! take it from me, you CAN take care of as many animals as you want, But you have to WANT to And if you dont want to you shouldnt have more than one animal.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Now Jessica, I'm trying and I honestly can't remember us ever having a disagreement about anything. I think we get along quite well!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 03:31 PM

OOPS , lol.. My Mistake..lol! haha Sorry about that, must have been somebody else i was thinking about.. ! I think i was thinking about Sugarlovesrats..lol..the heart in front kinda fooled me up! lol
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

ok im sorry for gettin grumpy i was alreadt frustrated about the situation and i cant fix the dead male but the neww mommy that may be re pregnated i gave her pups to another nursing mother this morning and they r doing great and she is on her own now i removed her mate and she is just waiting to se if she is pregg again so i wont have to worry about her health
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatratwitdachee View Post
ok stop cummin at me like youre the master of rodent breeding.
I checked my breeding charts and found that on the two grops of male and female that i introdroduse at the same time i put the birth days 6 days too far ahead so thats why i had suppriz pups 5 days ago and the agressive female from my other post is actually having her pups right now and so far seems to be dooing fine. there is a such thing called human error so get over it
I am a mouse breeder

Can i ask why you are breeding an aggressive mouse in the first place? You do realise the chances of her passing the nastiness onto her babies is very high. Surely you have mice with better temperaments to use in your breeding program? Nasty aggressive mice have absolutely no place in anyones breeding program.

Sorry but that is not a sign of a responsible breeder

Dog~ Nika (f)
Cats~Scamp (m) & Simvar (m)
Fish~Tropicals & Goldies

RIP Scooby doo & Louise
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

well most of the mice i have come from one breeder and he usually gives me his best selection so it is verry rare that i get mice mice with traits like that
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

also she only became agressive after she became pregnant so ther was now way of nowing before mating was set up and i would appreciate it if you would find out the whole storry before you start calling people irresponsible thist is really getting on my nervs that you people keep assuming that i have no clue what im doing

Last edited by fatratwitdachee; 03-29-2008 at 07:15 PM.

Tags
pet owner