pulled off rat claws? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy pulled off rat claws?

I took a look at my male rats, Seymour and Douglas, the other day, and i noticed that a few of their nails have been torn off of their feet. I have never clipped their nails, and their nails are scabbing over. On doug it is his front right paw it is his index finger. and on his back feet (both) it was his big toes. On seymour it was his left back foot big toe. Any explanations? advice? Prognosis...es? WILL THEY BE OKAY???????????!!!!!!!!!! GAH!!! HELP ME!!! AND MAH BAYBEEES!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Will It Ever Change?

They'll be okay. Put some neosporin on it As for causes. What do they have in their cage? Anything cloth or fuzzy? Or any small nooks and crannies you can see, can sometimes cause this to happen. It's never happened to my rat, but I've read that it's a possibility with cloth materials.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 09:57 PM

There must be something in their cage that it getting tangled on their nails. They are very delicate and can get pulled off easily. I've had some rats at work pull them off accidentally on a lab coat. I usually put a little bit of triple antibiotic on it when that happens and that's it. Apart from bleeding a bit and being painful to them, it's nothing life threatening. However, you have to search the cage and find the object with which they might be pulling them off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

thank you thank you!!!! I am sooo paranoid about my ratties!! to hear this from you releaves me. Thanks again. TO THE NEOSPORIN!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

yea, if they are pulling off several it is something that must be taken out as it wasn't a fluke accident more will probably be pulled off if it is left in there....

good luck! and it isn't your fault i don't want my post to sound like it is, i have found my pets will get hurt on the oddest things that i never would have thought of, but things that worry me that they could get hurt on they never do (like getting stuck in between pillows (never would have guessed to hurt them) but falling off a high dresser doesn't effect them) silly pets

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Also if you do keep them trimmed shorter in the future it may cut down on how easily the nails get stuck and tangled in things.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 01:34 PM

Ya soft fluffy material can catch on their paws. They will be ok though.