Quarantine procedures.. PLEASE READ!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Exclamation Quarantine procedures.. PLEASE READ!!!

Well i have noticed another problem that has come up a few times. It seems alot of people are not properly quaratining (sp) there new rats, if at all!!

-First off proper quarantine is an absolute must, no matter where you get your rat from!! Especially considering infections such as Myco and SDA can lie dormant for weeks before the infected rat is showing signs of infection. It may be somewhat inconvienient but can save time, money and heartbreak in the future. If you care about your rats (which I am sure you all do) you MUST quarantine here are the basics of proper quarantine:

-unless you got your rat from a breeder you know well, and can be assured all their rats are in perfect health, or the rat has already been vet checked including bloodwork, the rat should be quarantined OUTSIDE your home. I am serious this is a big deal, you can board the rat at your vet's office, or find a friend or family member who is rat free to care for the rat for atleast three weeks. This is because most diseases, and viruses are airborn, even if you keep the rat in a seperate room, basement, garage ect. This is not enough space!

-even if you did get the rat from a good breeder or it has been vet checked you still need to quaratine, although it is somewhat more exceptable to keep the rat inside your home but in a different room.

-Also if you visit said rat, or not to mention if you are in a petstore, shelter, anywhere they have other rodents (even if you didn't touch any) you should stay away from your rats for atleast 3 hours, change your clothes and shoes, shower and blow your nose! I know that sounds odd but SDA can attach itself to clothing, skin, hair, and even in our mucus membranes!!

I myself work at a shelter and go through this routine everyday I work!! Like i said it may be a bit inconvienient but it is neccasary!
Please don't think I am being some crazy overzealous animal activist (ummm...well i kinda am..anywho!!) These procedures are absolutely neccasary for keeping your rats healthy!
There is absolutely NO reason or exceptable excuse not to quarantine!! Well thanks again for hearing me out, I hope this info will help anyone who was not sure of proper quarantine procedures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 02:47 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Your post was extremely informative. Ever since I owned chinchillas, breeders have always stressed how important it is to quarantine new animals for at least a month if not more. I suppose proper quarantine procedures are a must for any small animal that is brought into the home. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks Denise and yes this generally goes for all small animals, reptiles and birds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 07:50 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Well i have noticed another problem that has come up a few times. It seems alot of people are not properly quaratining (sp) there new rats, if at all!!
Thanks for sharing the info. I didn't realize how important it was. I have only had rabbits and cats and they go to the vet if there is any problem. I even have health insurance for my cats and believe me, I do not hesitate to go to the vet. We have spent thousands in vet bills in 2004. There really isn't a way for me to quarantine my rats because I live far away from family or friends, but I guess I shouldn't have gotten them in the first place then. But since they are here now I will provide the care that they need. I'm going to check to see if my vet is experienced with rats (she is with rabbits) and look into taking them all in for exams and bloodtests.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 08:13 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Any info you could give me would be great. If you have a chance to pm me, I'd really appreciate it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!