Question?!?!?! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
The Title Fairy Was Here

Question?!?!?!

well jet's babies are 3weeks old now and still feeding off mam, i've been away for the weekend so havent really seen them eating/drinking by themselves and just wondering whats the longest time i can keep them in with mam (well boys) as i normally take them out at 3 weeks but my past 2 litters have all been feeding at this stage so i had no problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come see more of my fur babies at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Part of the Pack

I wouldnt leave them in there more than a week. Try putting some oatmeal in there to get them eating solids.

My zoo:
The rats: London, Remmy, Butterfly, and Arabella
The guinea pigs: Victor, Augustus, and baby Milo
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 11:37 AM
RAT ADDICT

They shouldn't leave mom till about 4-5 weeks.You can start the weaning process by soaking bread in soy milk or kitten formula,or using infant cereal or oatmeal.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
The Title Fairy Was Here

when i fed them tonight i watched them for half an hour and about half of the litter were eating the food so im going to keep a watch for a few days to make sure then separate just to be on the safe side

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 11:45 PM
laugh often

When I seperated my baby boys from the mom I could get them to eat wet bread so I got whole grain honey bread and kitten food and it worked like a charm.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
The Title Fairy Was Here

there now seperated and living with older brother charlie and his cagemate mattie

there all getting on great not much bickering so hopefully they'll be okay till i find homes for some of them

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 06:09 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

When should mice be weaned?
Mice should be weaned at 3 to 4 weeks after birth. Pups must be weaned if the same mom gives birth to a second litter. The pups should be robust, active, have open eyes, teeth and adult fur rather than the sparser fur of babies. They need to be able to jump up to the top of the cage to feed and drink. If they are too immature, let them go longer with their mom. In many strains, pups ready to wean will "popcorn" when the cage lid is opened. If you are uncertain about their ability to well on their own, you can leave a little water-softened food in the bottom of the cage to help them through the first day or two.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Last edited by lilspaz68; 05-03-2007 at 06:12 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
The Title Fairy Was Here

thanks for that info

Tags
kitten food