Question... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Question Question...

I didn't get a rat yet, but I am hoping to get one! My mom is allergic to fur, would rat fur affect her? Should I get one or two rats? I kinda only want one. What kind of cage should I get? Which are better, males or females? I have all these questios running through my head!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

aw, comon! I need help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

A rat's dander might very well affect your mom, depending on how sensitive she is. She might be ok living with them if she doesn't actually touch them. Or it might bother her just to be in the same room. In any case, make sure you clear it with her before you bring any rats home.

You should definitely get two rats. Rats are very social and it's important that they have friends to live with. Unless you can be with your rat 24 hours a day, he/she needs at least one other rat to live with. Their cage should be as big as you can afford/fit in your home. Rats need lots of space. They should be able to stand straight up on their hind legs on at least one of the levels of the cage.

As for gender, that comes down to personal preference. Males tend to be larger and lazier, more likely to just sit with you calmly. They often have a musky smell which not everyone enjoys. Females are smaller and more active. They like to run around and play. So it depends on what kind of behavior you want in a pet.

As a general note, never use pine or cedar bedding for rats. They are harmful to rats' respiratory systems. You can use aspen wood, or many types of recycled paper bedding like Carefresh or Yesterday's News. There is a lot to learn about rats, it's great that you are doing your research!

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Thank you!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 12:29 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

mtmaughan said it all, but I wondering if you ever thought about getting a couple of hairless rats? Hairless rats are just the same as ordinary, they just have no fur and it would be easier to live with if your mum is allergic to fur. you'd probably only find one from a breeder though so you'll have to search

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 04:37 AM
Will It Ever Change?

the trick with allergies, is that people are rarely allergic to the fur. its the actual dander, saliva, skin that causes the allergies. maybe take your mom to a pet store or friends house that has rats. hang out there, handle them for half an hour and see what happens. two rats are better than one but if she's allergic i'd hate to see you have to rehome them. I have bad allergies too, and I find experimenting before buying is the safest way of doing things. that way if you are allergic you're not stuck with the allergen in your home.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Jird Jostler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
the trick with allergies, is that people are rarely allergic to the fur. its the actual dander, saliva, skin that causes the allergies. maybe take your mom to a pet store or friends house that has rats. hang out there, handle them for half an hour and see what happens. two rats are better than one but if she's allergic i'd hate to see you have to rehome them. I have bad allergies too, and I find experimenting before buying is the safest way of doing things. that way if you are allergic you're not stuck with the allergen in your home.
Yes this is true, most fur alergies arn't actually HAIR allargies it is the saliva. When the animal cleans itself with saliva this saliva evaporates into the air. Some people are alergic to this.. =] wow i feel brainy =]

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everybody!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 11:59 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Also, my mom is actually allergic to the urine, so I don't know if that would be a problem for yours. As for the cage size, google rat cage calculator. It'll tell you if I cage you are considering is large enough for two adult rats. It's also important that they are of the same gender or I'm afraid you'll have a big mess on your hands. One more thing.... patience, grasshopper. Not everyone sits on Paw Talk all day waiting for responses like you and I.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 03:32 PM

Hi bigstrawberrysw! Hi guys!

If your mother is willing, you can test her degree of allergy by exposing her to your pets and their paraphernalia. I am generally not allergic to pets, but I do get asthmatic attacks (rarely – once in 1 or 2 years). Dust from wood shavings and pellet leftovers triggers coughing. On such occasions, I wear wet masks and turn the electric fan or airconditioner off when handling pets or changing/cleaning their cage. The rodents per se do not trigger coughing. I do minimize handling them though and observe them only once a day (instead of as often as possible).

In case your mother agrees to the test, you should be ready with antihistamines (anti-allergy drugs) like chlorphenamine and diphenhydramine which are available over-the-counter (at least here in the Philippines) or steroids if she reacts more severely than is hoped. I hope your mother never gets allergic enough as to warrant an emergency room visit.

Having pets in a home where asthmatics or allergic people dwell is a public health concern we (pet lovers) deal with, with caution. Best of luck.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone! My mom is also allergic to bunnies ans cats. I don't know if it will just be the saliva there...
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 05:31 PM
RAT ADDICT

Your mom very well may be allergic to rats then! Take her somewhere with pet rats and let her interact with them and see what happens.

My sister is allergic to my rats,but ONLY if she handles them.She can be in the same room as rats with no problems,it is only if she handles/touches the rats that she breaks out.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 10:44 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Hairless is good, but they are usually prone to more health problems. But sometimes as said above, people are allergic to when they are being handled. I say bring to a pet store and see how she reacts to them.

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

okay!

Tags
hairless rat