Question about Baby Rats Pooping During Outside Time - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Question about Baby Rats Pooping During Outside Time

Hi all,
Quick question for fellow rat parents? To refresh your memory, I have two baby rat boys, Klausse and Wolfgang that just turned 8 weeks old. First off, they have bonded to my husband and I big time, and they LOVE coming out to snuggle, get pets and do all the kissy bruxy love stuff every day with us. They crave attention and we give them tons, every day.

So far so good, but my question is, they often do a LOT of pooping while they are out and although we don't mind and we have Kleenex nearby for that, is it normal for them to be pooping a lot when they are outside their cage?

The reason I ask is only because my rat books all say that although rats often urine mark when outside their house, they rarely poop, except for if they are afraid or nervous. I can't believe that it would be nerves or fear that is causing this, as they seem so happy and cuddly with us when we have them out so I am hoping it is just something that baby rats do, and then I won't worry about it. Any thoughts on this? I just want to make sure this is a baby thing that will improve a bit with time and that they are not nervous.
Thanks for any opinions or advice on this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 05:43 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

my rattie used to poop outside the cage a lot, it might be from being afraid or stressed, but also because they're little! now she very very rarely poops outside the cage, unless it has been a long time.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Thanks for the post, Dustette! Yeah, I am hoping it's just a baby thing that will pass as they get older. We try to be sensitive to the fact that babies can't hold it as long as adult rats and we usually try to keep their outside play times with us to a not too lengthy time.
Of course sometimes when we put them back in their house, they just come right back to the door of their house and want out again, without stopping to take a potty break or a drink of water!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 06:41 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yes,pooping outside the cage is usually only done when nervous or scared.Since your guys are used to you,if there is nothing else in the room scaring them...it is indeed because they are babies.They will stop once they are older.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yes, there really isn't anything around that would be scaring them, as we don't have any kids, no people coming and going, no other pets and we basically have a really quiet apartment. We even play soft classical music and New Age music in the background to relax the babies even more, ha ha.
SO, I hope you are right, that it is just their young age and they poop a lot!
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

My rats do that young and old. My older ones tend ot do it but that is becuase they are old they proably cant hold it as good. When you get old thingd tend to go.
I have had some that are overly excited and it coudl be that. before I get mine out I play with them in the cage and wait tilll they go potty becuase a little play seems to make them go then I get them out to play. you can train them not to go out side but let you know when they have to so you can palce them back in the cage. Sometimes they take to long playing in the cage so I get them out stand there adn they seem to have a nuatural instink if the cage is clsoe to go back to some place familer to potty or its becuase they know by now to go back in the cage to go.
I have heard some rat ownes say no matter what their ratties poop ir pee and them while they are cleaning them selves or sleeping or what not an thats there way of saying I like you and marking you as theirs. lol
Young ones do go more. My males seem to go more then the girls and pee on my less. Granted they coudl br realyl bonded to you but still skidish putside the cage yet as well becuase its a bigger cage and rats ushalyl stay clsoe to there familys meaning us becuase we are safe haven and see us as a sucirity blanket, exspecily babies.
My rats sometimes when put back in their cages so the same they want back out with you and dont eat drink or go potty becuase they just want you. Rats are K-9's of the Rodent world they want to be a loyal to you liek a dog would and be by your side. So them still wantingout is them saying ooohhhh I dont want play time to be over yet ppplllleeeeeaaasssseeee can we come back out oh please oh please. Here is a pic of my girls letting me know that play time isnt over till they say it is becuase they wont stay off the door for me to shut it. they didnt go anywere so I took somepictures becuase it was funny.
Diamond

Mysical Sprit, Kira and Tattioe were the ones that wanted back out the others were quite content back in the cage. lol So wanting back out is normal and pooping if young is as well.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Diamond,
Thanks for the post, and what a great picture of your rats! Some great insights and advice on this, thanks! We also have a litter pan with pellets in their house but so far they are pretty slow to catch on, but that's okay. We aren't going to sweat it. All things take time. It could very well be possible, like you said, that even though they are clearly bonded to us and see us as their safe zone when out of the cage, that babies can be naturally a bit skittish about things. Our little guys will jump if I accidentally sneeze or make any slightly sudden movements, so I try to be aware of that. As long as they are doing well and are happy with us and enjoy getting love, then we will just take it one day at a time and enjoy them, which we do!
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Thanks. Some of my rats even the older ones when out and playing get scared or jump but that is like anyone when you are playing and or you trun and dont relized someone or somthing is there and you get a shock or fright. Some peopel I have talked to that own rats aroudn me say no matter what they cant get them nto no poop or pee all over. But they like any critter can have stuber streeck.
If you have friends over I have noticed if its a person they dont really know they can get skidish if still young. my rats up to 3 to 5 months ae somtime skidish or frightened when they meet some one as in they if in their cage or out will come greet them they just dont want them to pick them up or some dont quite yet. if I hand them to the person or new owner they are more calmb becuase in there mind why woudl mom and dad place me some were not safe.
I know that when my babies get their eyes open and start to play aroudn they are camlb in or out with me and my fieonce but if my mom comes to visit or I go down for a day or 2 I take them down till they are 5 weeks of age or seperation age to always keep an eye on them that they are skidish aroudn my parents untill they get there smell a little. So new people and things to them you have be be prepared for the Santa clause like syndrom I call it were they are interested in it, or show curiosness but as soon as they meet it they ball or skidattle away.
Rats are so funny at times and each one has a personality that is diffrent. I hope the potty trining goes ok. Weather or not you have or have had kids you have to put with your new rats your self in parent mood when working with them as well as you would training mood. Which I think you already are protective and only want the best for them. I get told I baby mine critters to much. lol
Diamond
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 09:49 PM

They'll poop all over when they're little! It's a lot like baby humans. They'll usually learn to "hold it in" when they're older. Just be sure to give them bathroom breaks when you keep them out longer.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yep, I agree! Thanks for the reassurance Khodieylia and thanks also to Diamond too. Baby poop doesn't faze me, so it's all good, as long as I know the boys are fine.

I am definitely in Mom mode right now. We have never had human kids so you can only imagine how much we dote on our rat babies and spoil them, ha ha. And don't worry Diamond, if people tell you that your baby your pets too much...in my opinion, little critters deserve tons of babying!
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 10:17 PM

Haha I just imagined your rattys with little diapers on...!
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

my boyfriend says i sound mentally retarded when i talk and care for my rat.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Ha ha! As soon as I read your post, your image of my baby rats in little teeny diapers popped into my head and it cracked me up!
Now THAT would be a cute picture.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Dustette my man tells me I soudn crazy wehnI do the baby talk I have sung to them danced with them. and held them up when he has said this and say (pretendingthe rats talking) to leave mommy alone. lol but I catch him doing the same thing and i get the "WHAT?" lol
But rats in dippers that would be cute. here is a site with musical rats. Its so cool and cute you may all laugh and AAAAWWWWWW at it.
Diamond
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ear...struments.html
Complaments from the New York City Rat Meet Up Groups
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted