Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Question about rat's lifestyle

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  VanillaRat 
#1 ·
I'm wondering, i do believe rats are nocturnal. But, what is your experience with their lifestyles? do they sleep all day. do they wake up for bits then sleep? nocturnal or diurnal isn't enough info for me. i'd like to know if they wake up, nap, adjust to your schedule, etc.

for example. degus are diurnal, but they nap during the day anyways. they are up at night for bits as well.

so i'm looking for a rats' average daily schedule in terms of rest. mookie being 9 weeks, i figure his sleeping all the time is due to his age. but i want to knwo all this info, in case he could be awake just lonely. i hate always feeling like im gong into his cage and wakin ghim up to take him out. i wait for him to be out and getting a drink. but still. my instinct tells me he's fine, however, he appears to be asleep right now (buried in his hammock). my concern is me thinking he's fine and asleep when he's not, and then not taking him out when i could have. so experienced rat people. do yours sleep all day, or take naps, anything like that.

#3 ·
Mine wake up throughout the day. Scofield sleeps a lot but he's almost 2 years. You'll find that males will most likely sleep a lot even when you let them out to play.

They say they're nocturnal but I believe that they'll adjust to your schedule a little bit. Like Kendalle said they do seem to perk up around 9ish for a few hours.

So I'll have to say that mine take naps throughout the day and wake up for bits too.

#4 ·
ok thank you guys! i just like knowing what to expect :) he'll be getting a friend in the next month or so. i just want to really keep an eye on him becuase he's so young and alone. he's sooo cute and irresistable, day by day he gets a little more outgoing

#7 ·
Mine sleep alot thruout the day,but if I make any sort of noise,they all get up wanting my attention.I noticed they are more active in the afternoon and night.My males do aleep more so then the girls tho and even when I take the rats out,sometimes the males will plop down in some random spot to sleep or rest again! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.